Topic: Help!! SH-09 dead?

Played it all day yesterday... forgot to switch it off, found it on this morning. Switched it off and then on again a minute ago and everything lights up but no sound whatsoever. Nothing...

Fried? sad

Re: Help!! SH-09 dead?

Probably the op-amp or something, should be easy to fix (also because its a Roland)

Squadra Smackos wrote:

Probably the op-amp or something, should be easy to fix (also because its a Roland)

do you reckon that can happen because it's been on all night?

Not really, a synth should be able to stay on for days or weeks

yup... so I would think... so sad. was going to record a track I finished today, took days off work on purpose. what luck!

goes onto the repair pile....

6 (edited by no-fi 2008-11-14 02:03:21)

yep.  sounds like it's totally and utterly irretrievably dead.
this probably fried every single component inside it, and burned all the tracks off the circuit board.

I'll buy it off you as scrap, if you want to get rid of it.
I could always use it as a prop for our video clip, I suppose.
0:-)

i would try to repair it
but if you are selling it, i need some part to fix mine SH09 (bendder, and some knobs cups)

sorry bots, not for sale. I know it's going to be an easy fix, only annoying because it will have to go to a professional as I am not up to speed with circuit boards. I can only check the basics...

Perhaps it's a stupid question but don't you get any sound from both "phones" and "output" outlets? Not even a tiny sound when the volume is at max? Is it not even a "click" when you play on the keyboard? I wonder if it could not be a keyboard command problem... Electronics inside the SH-09 look pretty simple...

Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien

10 (edited by cimabot 2008-11-14 21:06:44)

Yes I did try but no audio through any of the outputs although I get a faint click from the headphones out when pressing keys...

edit: I wouldn't think the keyboard is the problem because controlling it via CV/Gate produces the same results...

11 (edited by Robotworks 2008-11-14 22:35:13)

Mmh faint clicks.... sad

Looks very much like a semiconductor burnt out... If you don't want to worry, it should be serviced...

Check if the noise generator doesn't work either. If yes, it's the VCO, if not, maybe the modulator. I searched a little, it seems that one of the modulator transitors (2SK30A-Y in Q12) is especially fragile. Regarding its position it can indeed explain the fact you don't get any sound. The simplest is to service your synth by a professional, but since the 2SK30A costs 0.45 EUR, a multimeter solution could be fine, too!

P.S. It seems to me it's not the first time you get a similar problem with a synth, cimabot. What's your mixer? Do you get discharges when you handle jacks? There might be a serious problem elsewhere in you setup...

Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien