1 (edited by plikestechno 2008-12-06 10:14:03)

Topic: I keep wanting to sell some synths...to buy some other synths...

but then I go downstairs, fire them up and play with them and then I can't sell it. Do you guys get this problem a lot?

Like I saw a Doepfer MS-404 on Ebay and I know some people here really like them so I was thinking maybe I can sell my Poly 800 mkII w/Moog Slayer and Waldorf Pulse and buy it.

But then I went and played with them and I was like maybe it's not worth it. This has already happened with a CZ-5000.

I can't really think of why I'd need an MS-404 if I have and MC-202. The Doepfer sounds so nice but I don't think it's worth giving up the other two for. We'll see if I feel that way tomorrow.

The only thing I sold so far was my Boss PC-2. I paid $50 Can. for it and a Boss DR-55, I sold just the PC-2 for $300 US. I have other percussion synths. Like the Synare 3 I got last week is way better and more flexible.

But yeah, that's the only thing I've managed to sell so far. Anything else has been too hard to part with.

Yet I want to sell some things for US dough. The Canadian dollar is too terrible right now to buy anything with.

Re: I keep wanting to sell some synths...to buy some other synths...

I have the same 'problem'. Theres quite a few synths that I haven't touched in a few years, and everytime I connect them to make some sales demo's I figure it's not worth selling them for the price they are worth, they just sound to good and they don't stand in the way anyway.
On the other hand, selling 5 mediocre synths to get one really great synth, that might be worth stepping over my objections. But I don't know what great synth or drums or outboard I would reaally, really want. Until I figured that out I just keep what I have.

A MeMMooG or a CS-80 might get me to sell some of the cheaper stuff, but then again then I would have to sell 'em all...

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

nah, keep the 800

i did this years ago when i had too much roland stuff.. i got some nice machines back for a more diverse sound, but the only one i regret selling was the sh3a.. but there were also a few ive thought about sdelling many times, but in the end i was glad i didn't..

Aren't a poly 800 + a Waldorf Pulse much more worth then one MS404?

7 (edited by TONY COPS 2008-12-08 00:20:41)

Wow the PC-2 got really freaking expensive.

I personally don't like gear clutter, so if I don't use the synth or drum machine very often, or if I can do what it does just as well on another synth I usually sell it.  Because I mostly wait for good deals i usually sell it for profit.
When I get something else I can justify the purchase as reinvesting the profit from a previous sale.

That logic has gotten me where I have a small studio with nice gear I really like, use regularly and know pretty well.
Plus, in a way, I got most gear with the profits from selling an Arp Solina, a Clavinet and a few other collector's classics  I got locally for not much at all wink

I think the most important thing is having instruments you are happy with, whether its a nice interface, pleasant sounds or it just looks inspiring to you.  Too many folk collect synths, particularly considered 'classic' ones, that then sit there doing nothing.  Instruments are there too be played. if you don't use it, clear it out

i wouldnt worry too much about how much you're buying/selling for. i always think swapping is a much nicer way of trading. the important thing is having something you enjoy playing

Just keep them and buy extra.

I'd sell on gear I don't use a lot faster, but for the fact that a lot of my gear has 1 or 2 small things wrong with it, that is fine to work around, but to sell,  I'd want to fix it up first - but then if I'm over something I'd rather just play with other synths than waste time fixing something just to sell on anyway...

so I end up with gear I don't care for, sitting around with one or 2 defects, waiting for me to fix it up and pass it on. It happens eventually, though.
:-)

I do think that it's good to get rid of stuff you don't have a real use for. Instruments are for playing music on, not collecting dust.

My personal experience: started collecting gear when I was 14, when I closed my studio back in 1998 I sold most
of the stuff because I thought I would be over with music forever.

What a wrong statement! I could not depart from music.. but it took me some years to realize that...
So in 2004 I started buying again everything I had (plus more, of course)...

And since that day my rule is: don't sell anything. never.

big_smile

Alex

am having the "problem" now... too much of my gear dies on me, very high maintenance equipment when you go old analog.

productivity has been suffering from it big time, i haven't managed to finalize much this year. yes, it's the nature of the business but i am more and more thinking that the little time i have for music should be spent making music, not trying to fix or upgrade vintage kit (although I love doing all of the above tongue )

i am considering selling much of my old gear to then buy newly built analog kit (comes with warranty!) but then to part with it is going to be one of the most difficult things I've ever done...

obviously if I could afford it I would never sell what I already have... but time and money are running short sad

Sell the ones you care least about and get all the rest fixed.
If you restore a synth with new capacitors and all they should last a long time before other major repairs.

New stuff may have a warranty but it foesn't mean it won't break, plus some new stuff is pretty low quality/high priced compared to vintage gear.

my stuff doesn't usually break to the point its unusable... just annoying stuff like 1 dead key, or scratchy pots... stuff you can work around, so I just do that..... no problem.... but then when I want to sell it, I have to go to the trouble to fix it first, when I'd rather just see it gone.

I am in the process of buying cheaper synths to replace the more expensive ones that I need to sell so I can pay rent while run around europe for a month chewing on baguettes and haring and buying records that i don't really need.

In the next 2 days i'm picking up a Novation Nova desktop and Mks-50. Total of $400

I need to make about 700 bucks from selling some of the following:
Juno 106
Sh-101
Sy-77 (i will later by the rack version)
Beat up MCK

I mostly use the 106 for its ability to make very low mildly punchy basslines and the occasional reverse envelope monster sweeps, any experiences replicating those on the MKS and nova?

give them to me, I'll take em for NOTHING big_smile

scam^^

I have one synth at the moment that I rarely use, the Sequential Pro-One. Just didnt fit it in the tracks ive been doing lately but I will not sell it because it does stuff my others synths dont and I do like the sound of it alot. I regret selling like any piece of gear apart from mc-505 so far. During studio sessions I do use alot of equippe at the same time. Mostly synths tho.
Drumcomputers I usually dont use all at the same time. 2 or 3 at a time max. As long as my finance will allow I won't sell anything.

19 (edited by cebteq 2009-06-08 20:38:49)

edit

@honey where do you live? i

HP ill take the 101 for a nice no interest payment plan.

o sey!!!

When we had a child I didn't have the time to spend hours tinkering with keyboards and found a new interest in changing nappies amd waking up at 3.00am so I sold all my old analog gear as it was not being used and some of it got damaged during a house move (SH101, Pro-One, Juno 106, Korg Mono-poly, Roland CR8000).  Now my daughter is older and I've got time in the evenings to start playing again i really miss them all, even the damaged keys and scratchy pots. 

If you don't have to sell it for financial reasons keep it as you'll always go back to it in time.

I sold:
Roland JP8000 (bought a Sequential Circuits Pro One)
Jomox Xbase 999 (bought a TR808)
Sherman Filterbank 2 (bought a Polysix)
Ecler Pro Smac 4 DJ Mixer (bought a Rane Empath)
Alesis M1 Activ MKII monitors (bought a pair of Genelc 8040As)

I'm thinking of selling my midi-ed Korg Polysix.

nice trades skkatter

Koova, I too have similar hobbies ;-)   no room for studio these days but occasionally i play in the dark while everyone sleeps with the couple pieces i've kept out of storage.

DamDuram wrote:

@honey where do you live? i

Pages 1 2 Next

You must login or register to post a reply

Robots for Robots → General Hardware / Software Discussion → I keep wanting to sell some synths...to buy some other synths...