Topic: good speakers, not too expensive?

I really need to buy some speakers because I'm listening to records in the stupidest possible way which is through a usb turntable hooked up to my computer which has speakers that are so crappy I can't take it anymore.

What speakers should I get? Is there anything decent in the $200-$300 range and do I need any other stereo equipment? I should just be able to hook the turntable up to some decent speakers right?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: good speakers, not too expensive?

hmmm.... does the turntable have any other output other than usb?

It does have the regular kind of output plugs, a red and a black one.

those need to be plugged into a preamp first. otherwise known as phono on most stereo amplifiers. so you will need an amp too.

http://www.thomann.de/de/genelec_8020apm_anthrazit.htm

buy these ones, and you get the best active speakers for that money !!

http://www.myspace.com/electrojax

Looking for a place to stay, i like to dance and drift away...

sure, if you don't mind listening in mono.

Maybe I'll just go looking at some flea markets upstate and buy an old ass stereo system for cheap. Might be the cheapest thing to do.

sounds like a good idea... scope out the local classifieds also. do try to get a demo first.

Thanks for the advice. I am especially wary of buying equipment off craigslist in the city here because it might be stolen or just crap that will work for one month and then break.

i'm sure most stuff on there is legit... more of a last stop before the pawn shop i would say...
and buying second hand is always a risk but usually one worth taking.

i found some old school Fisher speakers on the street and i drive them with an almost mint Sony STR DE197 stereo receiver (sadly without a phono input) that I got off craigslist philly for 50$ (more than half the retail value smile

From my extremely limited experience I would say look for a stereo receiver (they are cheaper than dedicated amps) and if it doesn't have a phono input for the turntable then you'll need to add a phono to line amp (a little box that boosts the signal so that the amplifier/receiver can use it) also don't forget cable. I went to radioshack and they seemed quite knowledgeable and helpful

Amplification (Watts) numbers can be misleading there are RMS and Peak values (the Peak ones sound generally bombastic i believe -- shoot me if i'm wrong)

I'll just revive this one....i myself im soon out looking for some speakers, but i'll be willing to pay some more. I cant afford any super highend stuff, but around say 300 euro, used or not. What can robots recommend in this price class?

"Luc-Ass deserves every flack he gets. In fact, I think he's getting off pretty easy. What he REALLY Deserves is to go broke and be forced to move into a dumpster behind Pizza Hut."