Topic: MS-10 vs virtual MS-20

I compared the two on roughly the same settings to see if they sound the same, I got pretty close.
I can't really say which one I like best.
I alternate the two synths every two bars.
Can you tell which is which?

http://share.ovi.com/media/TONYCOPS.ins … COPS.10049

Re: MS-10 vs virtual MS-20

My ears tell me that the first two bars are the plugin.  They do sound pretty close, but the second two bars seem to have a bit more variation from note to note, and the envelope seems a bit punchier. 

How do the two compare when the filter is at a higher resonance setting?

unicity wrote:

My ears tell me that the first two bars are the plugin.  They do sound pretty close, but the second two bars seem to have a bit more variation from note to note, and the envelope seems a bit punchier. 

How do the two compare when the filter is at a higher resonance setting?

ya.. Do one where the filter barks like only the korg ms filter does....

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

@ Unicity, you got it right.

Maybe I'll do a test with high resonance, but you'd know straight away, it's not even close.

sounds pretty close to me but the real one is bassier on that last note of the sequence

6 (edited by Squadra Smackos 2009-01-22 09:23:22)

But an MS10 is always more bassier, the MS20 quite thin sounding.

The MS10 and MS20 are 2 completely different synths if you would use a real MS20 the results would be the same wink

edit: doh or is there an MS10 setting on the virtual MS20?

Honestly, at these settings I doubt I'd be able to spot the difference in a busier mix.  Even in your examples once the drums kick in it becomes harder to detect.  I think being an MS-10 owner also helped me distinguish between the two.  smile

It sounds close but there is indeed a difference between the MS-10 and 20.
I think it has to do with the filter.
@ Smackos there's no MS-10 emulation with the MS-20 vst.

I did a comparison between the two real synths with a friend once, the MS-10 was a lot ballsier with bass sounds.
That made me decide to get my current ms-10.

yes, ive had both for long times and the 10 is very different from the 20.. it's definitely not just a scaled down version of the 20. i've used them a lot on my first bunker lp's. those filters can scream like nothing else can, and the plugin doesn't even begin to emulate that. it sounded more like an sh101 to my ears than an ms20..

is there a  good way to sequence an ms-10? (apart from the sq-10 which seems to be pricy)

was wondering about triggering it from an mc202. i could do the ghetto cv->vco input  thing, but is there an easy way to trigger it from the 202?  guess i need a trigger inverter or something

yes, you need to convert hz/v to cv/gate.. its the reason midi was invented..:D

12 (edited by TONY COPS 2009-01-22 20:23:10)

I just tried to do a demo with high filter "peak" and I fiddled a lot with the filter settings. 

The resonance on the vst is more like a sine wave, the MS-10 has a more complex sound.

But in the end the vst  became unresponsive and made Ableton crash, so the hardware wins again!

edit=typo

Haha nice one TONY COPS!

ekranoplan - I use an older Kenton Pro-Solo (MIDI -> CV convertor) with my MS-10 without any issues.  You can switch the voltage between hz/v and 1v/oct and set the gate + or - so it works with pretty much anything.