Topic: mastering query

whats the general concensus on mastering around here?

obviously anything getting a proper release should go to someone with the equipment and experience. the more valves, knobs and beards the better i guess.

but for other things like rough demo cd's, dj mixes, mixing friend's bands etc...what do you folks tend to do?

do you even touch the stereo bus? a little bit of mild compression and limiting. any technical multiband compression?

or just leave these things pretty raw, maybe normalise to the peak level and burn the cd off?

i've toyed with a variety of ways, mainly in logic to do some mastering but just wondering what other folk's experience is on these matters

Re: mastering query

For me, its the Vintage warmer II by psp. its good enough to help with Demo's and mixes ect.
For more final track mastering get a pro...

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

In a lot of music the mastercompression is a integrated part of the sound, (not just the daftpunk approach) so you should also consiter it as such. When i do rough mixes during a recording session i usualy give the tracks a small squeeze with a software limiter and then a normalize. But remember to get a decent output level on your mix before you use functions like normalize, cos they compromise you signal to noise ratio.... Nearly all the jazz sessions I do, I also mix and master. And my approach with those productions are that I do the mastercompression in the mix. I usualy use the quad comp in the ssl as a fast peek comp and then our Fairman TMC as leveler. This combo works well with most jazz and softpop/rock tracks but in the case of a harder track, say a chartpop or hard rock mix, I often use a SSL Xlogic 5.1 (9000clone) comp in stereo mode, insted of the classic 4000 bus comp. When I do it like this the sound is usualy warm enough and I can do the mastering in the computer, but sometimes run tracks throug more outboard if necessary. BLA BLA BLA..... This doesn't help you.

In your case, do what ever you feel like and then listen to the track on as many soundsystems as posible. If it sounds good but a little lower then pro masters then you are proberly not all wrong. The only 3 crusial mistakes  you can make are having low end thinges that are out of phase, having way to much signal below 50hz making the speakers go flapediflap or ultra highs that peek the speekers and sound like shit..... Non of the classic rules apply anymore unless you are going to vinyl.
But on the other hand if you are doing a mix that is going to a pro mastering dude, then leve some work for him, only do sound dependent compression and speak with him about the sound you are going for. Maybe he preffers to get the track as "clean" as possible.

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

i've done stuff for friends just using the Logic Multiband and an EQ and it sounds pretty decent.

if you are in need of using nice plug ins and don't have the cash, you can download Sonalksis plug ins with full use for a 30 day trial.

www.sonalksis.com

worship the potentiometer.

no mastering.

main outs go into a compressor with very mild setting more to make the sound from the desk a bit punchier, then onto tape. tape transfers to cd, which goes directly onto vinyl. only thing we do at the pressing plant is some slight eq, for instance maybe a little bass rolloff.
i feel a lot of music is raped these days by idiots with waves plugins or finalizer hardware.. all pumped up to the max like a bodybuilder on steroids. it can have its function in minimal or french disco house, but for the rest..
mastering is originally mainly a last correction of small mistakes, or an equalizer to make different sounding tracks more alike. or maybe even that little added sparke from a good hardware box.

the best mastering imho is the kind that you don't hear is there.. big_smile

and as a general rule: if the mixdown is bad, mastering is not going to make miracles tongue

Anyways I agree with Rude66, we are in an age where the waveform of any commercial CD out there tends to be
a monolithic block, everything to the limit... Personally I try to take advantage of dynamics, so always keeping myself
quite under 0db, so that I have some headroom if I want to give more presence to a sound...
But then, I am coming from classical music, so I might really be off big_smile

totally agree, too, but there's something missing regarding what 'mastering engineers' nowadays usually are:

"i feel a lot of music is raped these days by idiots with CRACKED waves plugins or finalizer hardware.." (;))

computerdisco wrote:

For me, its the Vintage warmer II by psp. its good enough to help with Demo's and mixes ect.
For more final track mastering get a pro...

+1

i'm afraid i still don't really know how to use a compressor...
and in that case it's always best to not use one.
So i never do.

alex_d_steak wrote:

and as a general rule: if the mixdown is bad, mastering is not going to make miracles tongue

you have no idea how many bands i talk to who get some guy who's mastered some big records and then are like "yeah he'll just fix it in mastering" as if the guy will be able to mix it and then master it and make it sound amazing all at once.

worship the potentiometer.

i dont know a shit about mastering,still need to learn about mix to make a better sound and fix problems.

ok, seems like different ideas for different folks. 

i was just wondering if everyone was using some special technique that i was in the dark about.

my friend has lent me a rnc compressor. need to have a play with it...

there is a difference between true mastering and just using a compressor/limiter on your end mix. that last one is not a bad thing, it blends your sound a bit more together, and can make your beats sound punchier. also it works in combination with your mixer, so different solutions exist for different mixers.

yes, the ''fix it with mastering'' myth is still alive. on the other hand, if you strip down all the pumped up stuff from both pop and dance music, there is not much left in a lot of cases. i remember talking to a producer who does his mastering at the same place as some well known trance producers, and he was blown away when he heard the crap some guys come in with, and the result these guys make from it. and this was a guy who had been producing for over 10 years.
i've also heard rough mixes and demo's from bands that sound absolutely horrible, flat and awful. if you look at it that way, mastering can really add some magic to a shitty mix..

good video (i guess) at ua

http://www.uaudio.com/products/uad/uad2duo/index.html

the one farthest right

15 (edited by Sander 2009-01-25 12:33:20)

Bunker has the best mastering : )

The mighty ORBAN Parasound (tm)

a wise man once told me: don't compress and don't equalize. i'm just passing on that wisdom.

whats wrong with doing that?  isn't that sort of like saying don't paint with the color orange

fuck orange!!

I was so close // I crept like a cat // visions of seduction lurkin under my hat
Zerohour Doom & Glamour | RETALI8Cold Crush

Jackie Ransom, Luster & Beta Evers - Secrets Of The World out now on 7"/Digital

just to much trouble the mastering bit smile
my mastering consists of putting the sound trough my dateq xtc and make it a decent but not to loud (no red) volume

rude66 wrote:

there is a difference between true mastering and just using a compressor/limiter on your end mix. that last one is not a bad thing, it blends your sound a bit more together, and can make your beats sound punchier. also it works in combination with your mixer, so different solutions exist for different mixers.

When using a compressor on mastersignal from mixer (between mixer and amp i guess), i can get some sort of tape-like compression going on in real-time while mixing? I'd love that..

Heil CBS

^ any thoughts?

Heil CBS

well, i remember reading an article in sound on sound about people mixing with compression on the master bus.  I've never actually tried it and most of the time i'd really rather leave technical compression to the pro's and i'd be weary of doing that unless it's an integral part of your sound.
when i play live i often chuck the mix through a little compressor and that works great..

btw i should note, i'm talking dj mixin'.. not mixin' tracks.. and thanks for the info ekranoplan

Heil CBS

Best way to get tape compression is to get a tape recorder. Tape compression is partially a side effect of tape saturation, which is hard to get from anything else but tape. Ofcourse you can put a compressor on your main mix (just don't overdo it, a small ratio is often enough), but it's not like tape saturation.