Re: Should I buy...

olivier8 wrote:

Edit / the only thing to look at is the keyboard that can get sort of sticky with time and not correctly responding (oxydation ) but th JX8P will still work perfect via midi..i don't like too much the keyboard action anyway, too heavy there are much better responding masterkeyboards...if i could i 'd just make it a rack

I'm afraid that's the case with about 99% of all budget synths... Only budget synth with a good keyboard is the DX7 imo.

Keyboard oxidization and dusty, non responsive faders and knobs are typical for any synth but as far as I know the JX8P doesn't yet have any specific trouble you should look for when you buy one, like for instance the Juno 106 chip problem or the Poly61 battery problem.

As for racking the jx8p; the Roland MKS70 is a racked JX10, which in essence is two jx8p's. The MKS70 is perhaps even preferable over the jx10 because unlike the jx10 it can be edited with a midi controller.

Thanks Robots, you convinced me. I called the guy and I'm gonna take a look at it tonight. If its in good condition I am going to grab it.

Too bad I wil lhave to wait to play with it, since I still have to wait for my new room to place my gear.

Got it. its super mint, no scratch at all. Cant wait to spend lotsa time with it!!

Congrats smile Now get some headphones out and hook it up!

hmm i am also in talks about getting a jx8p w/ pg800.  $350 + shipping... pretty  awesome deal. Probably going to go for it but would probably rather get the mks 70 due to limited space in the studio nowadays... hmm i've also been wanting to get an alpha juno too.. but also in the rack form (mks 50)

What are the programming limitations for the mks 50?  Can i program via midi or does it all have to be done through the box?.. and is it a pain in the ass?

You can do everything from the box but that can be quite tedious, you can also use software or a cheap MIDI editor (such as the BCR2000) which might be easier.

Alpha Juno's are really great synths, so buzzy and "liquid" and so cheap these days...a few years ago they went for a lot of money in the gabber hardcore heydays (I had bought my Alpha 2 for something like 250 guilders and could sell it a few years later for 1250 guilders to a hardcore guy)

I always want one back again, maybe one of those little alpha 1's or the HS something version in the future.

The cool thing of the MKS50 is that it has patch memories for the chord memory.

so the difference between alpha 1 and 2 is the keyboard size, velocity, and aftertouch?

Does the mks 50 have those things?

Squadra Smackos wrote:

(I had bought my Alpha 2 for something like 250 guilders and could sell it a few years later for 1250 guilders to a hardcore guy)

Wow... Oldschool Hoover kill! yikes

My alpha juno is one of the best cheap synths I ever bought. super easy to program from an external midi editor (such as the Bcr2000) but I use a softwre OSX editor called Alpha juno controll lets you map any cc to the juno
http://xmidi.com/

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

I've always been interested in ensoniq eps 16+.  i'm struggling for space right now and feel a workstation would be the best option. the specs look quite good but what is the sound/operation actually like.
plus the rza used that kind of thing for old wu-tang stuff...

EPS16+ is not really a workstation? Just a big ass sampler with good sound

so the difference between alpha 1 and 2 is the keyboard size, velocity, and aftertouch?

Yes but there is still velocity and aftertouch on the alpha 1 inside just not on the keyboard

Does the mks 50 have those things?

yes (but no keyboard ofcourse wink )

Wow... Oldschool Hoover kill! yikes

and zompy Drexciya proto hardcore sound!

Squadra Smackos wrote:

EPS16+ is not really a workstation? Just a big ass sampler with good sound

It's kind of a proto workstation, with build in effects and an 8 track midi sequencer.

Doesn't Jay Overdose still own his? I can only tell about the EPS, which is less sophisticated and sounds different. I believe they do use the same OS, but the EPS 16+ is (obviously) 16 bit instead of 12 and has more build in effects.  The 16+ came standard with 1mb of memory whilst my EPS has only 512kb so the word 'workstation' is a bit euphoric, especially because the sequencer uses the same ram memory as the sampler.

Does any one have any experience with the Yamaha D1500 Analog Delay? What's a good price for it?

388 (edited by MrWho 2009-01-30 21:14:30)

I bought a juno2 some time ago...I don't regret it! Paid 160

of course it looks near mint, you never use it

haha just waited for this

get one yourself and make a windows7 software programmer

funckarma were also big users of the eps at the early part of their career..

what is the proper price for alpha juno? and mks 50?  Seems like ebay has not had too many of them lately and the buy it nows do not resemble the auction completed listings...

don't forget to search for the HS models. They often sell for less and are the same thing.

$200 for mks 50? 
it has a scratch and slight dent in the rear....
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa80/analogdreamz/RolandSynthesizerModuallC.jpg

Brian Chinetti wrote:

Congrats smile Now get some headphones out and hook it up!

I do and playing around until my girlfriend get jealous and a bit longer. tonite she's gonna be out and I hook it on the stereo :-)

Programming is easier as I thought. you get ued to it after a while. it sounds way better than eveerything I have. Me a happy robot!!

@rsprats Go for it I reckon, maybe try and get a bit of discount first though.

Should I get an MC-303, it's a trade for something I don't use, Is it any good?

How does it compare to an Electribe, I used to have an Er-1 and really liked to sequence on it.

and how are the sounds?

i'd say no to the mc-303.

i guess i've never used one, but i had friend who made really bad trance music with it. And another friend who bought one and told me that the filter was really lame for any sort of attempts at acid bass.

I think it does have a funny sample of a voice saying "WICKED PLASTIC" though.

That might be kinda cool.

399 (edited by hans olof 2009-02-04 04:31:51)

-> rsprats

i don't know where you are but mks50's usually go for 100-150

I've always got a soft spot for the mc-303. it get's bashed so much but it must've been used on quite a few records .  UR were using it live for a while back and i'm sure terrence dixon used one.
it's hard to say what it's actually good at, it's not great sounds, but kind of functional roland presets. the drums are pretty rubbish and it's filter isn't much use for acid sounds.  but its construction is good and it's quite nice for sequencing other gear. and the mute buttons give it an mmt-8 feel