Topic: Oberheim Matrix 6

Some time ago i bought a pc editor for my Matrix 6 .
Making a sound was too time consuming to even start doing before,
but now it's like i have a new synth !
I can really advise Matrix owners to get an editor too !

Have been pressing the random patch generator a few hours  ( addictively fun to do )
and made recordings which i cut up to this collage:  http://www.robotdj.net/getme.php?id=3987
Just the Matrix 6. No effects or eq.

Re: Oberheim Matrix 6

matrix 6 is super!
I guess you're talking about matrix 2001 editor right?

So, whats the patch editors name? big_smile

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

yep it's the Matrix 2001 v251
by Mark Strijbos.

A must have !
Also works with the Matrix 1000 i believe.

with a random generator every synth becomes super fun. i had an editor on my atari that had one for the kawai k1.. even that thing could do super space sounds from other worlds with the randomizer. all those weird detuned samples were so cool..

umm downloading your matrix test, the prophet test was very cool and relaxing for me wink

yeah that editor is great...your demo inspired me to go play with my matrix smile

I am going to do all kinds of things with this to my matrix 1000

thx!

Ha !
Using the editor was a step forward... but having a Drehbank with the Matrix 6 is really amazing !

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j106/mrpauli/DSC01695.jpg

Finally hands on control smile

I used a bcr2000 to program it a while ago and after a good beginning (I was like wow now I have knobs!) it turned out I had just some cheap and unprecise controller coupled with the sluggish sysex of the matrix...
But judging by what you say (and watching this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3h58TBIPbh0) the drehbank works really good with the matrix...

11 (edited by mr pauli 2009-02-15 18:37:06)

Yes i stole the idea from that youtube, and also contacted that guy for some help getting on the way.
He is the only person i could find on the web that uses a drehbank for the matrix.

Do you mean the BCR is not precise , or do you mean that some parameters need a few seconds to adjust ?
I thought about the BCR but it doesn't have enough knobs and it doesn't fit on the Matrix surface.
But i would think it is a good controller ?
Don't think there is a way to avoid some parameters being slow...

But man... hands on control on the Matrix 6 is fantastic ! smile

well...
what I think after I saw that video is that the drehbank acts more smoothly: I mean I remember it was very hard not to jump instantly from a 0  to a 5 directly while turning the knobs, for me having to be really slow and careful to avoid that defeated the purpose of having hands on control on the machine. The bcr worked well with my microkorg (but that's midi cc) and pretty well with a dw8000.
The annoying thing was that it sometimes decided to change parameters on its own! 
I'm sure you did the right thing getting the drehbank wink

Paulie maybe get a matrix1000 for your live gig?

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

Hej what's a good price for a matrix 6?
is 400 good?

the 6R racks tend to go for $250-350 so thats okay for the keyboard version provided it is in excellent condition

ok thanks I meant euro btw,
is there any known issue with them?
(see juno 106 voice chip = sure death)

make sure that the buttons work properly and are responsive.. they'll be getting a lot of use if you want to program from the front panel.  you could also run the calibration routine from master mode #52.  then play six notes, make sure you see six little dots on the LCD and hear the six corresponding voices play in tune.  sometimes people have to re-seat connectors or the chips in their sockets but other than that there are no major issues like the polysix battery.

rude66 wrote:

with a random generator every synth becomes super fun. i had an editor on my atari that had one for the kawai k1.. even that thing could do super space sounds from other worlds with the randomizer. all those weird detuned samples were so cool..

any idea the name of this? don't suppose there is a windows version of this? or can you run it on an atari simulator on windows?

thats a lot of questions

Steem runs almost every Atari ST program perfectly under Windows (also you can run it 1000% faster etc.) MIDI also works great just assign your MIDI interface in the Steem preferences.

rarara wrote:
rude66 wrote:

any idea the name of this? don't suppose there is a windows version of this? or can you run it on an atari simulator on windows?

thats a lot of questions

ruud,

sorry to hijak the oberheim thread, but i was looking at steem last night and got it working. the only K1 program which seemed to have a randomiser was called k-sculpt, version 1.4. only problem is that 'randomize' is greyed out! don't suppose you can cast your mind back and remember if this was the prog you are talking about?

thanks

all i remember is that these editors were all made by one or two dutch guys..and they were free public domain editors, so no commercial programs.. for the rest, my mind is blank, this is like 17-18 years ago or longer..

i'm in doubt. I can buy a matrix 6 really nearby and it's super mint, but the guy wants like 500 euros for it (too much, because it really looks like new). What would be the max? 400 as stated earlier (euros?) or is that too much?
I'm going to listen and look at it thursday, but everyone wants a good deal no?

23 (edited by RETALI8 2009-02-18 04:31:20)

I paid about $300 usd for mine, second hand in really good condition (6r).
So 400 euro definitely sounds too high, then again sometimes different areas shit goes for different prices so maybe you need a euro robots opinion there.
That reminds me I need to download the mac version of the editor

* Whoops I just noticed its the keyboard version not the rack. So ignore me alltogether

I was so close // I crept like a cat // visions of seduction lurkin under my hat
Zerohour Doom & Glamour | RETALI8Cold Crush

Jackie Ransom, Luster & Beta Evers - Secrets Of The World out now on 7"/Digital

there was one here in holland on marktplaats for 400 euri last night..  but if you want the one for 500, try to talk him down, most sellers are willing to give something..

rude66 wrote:

all i remember is that these editors were all made by one or two dutch guys..and they were free public domain editors, so no commercial programs.. for the rest, my mind is blank, this is like 17-18 years ago or longer..

ha, must be making you feel old! thanks for the info, it gives me a start cause the app i was trying wasn't dutch. am now joining yahoo atari groups so heres hoping...