Re: Why the CBS really crashed n burnt?

I was under the impression the cbs really didn't want very many listeners, quality over quantity, robots were supposed to recruit robots. I guess it wasn't enough.

Better to burn out than fade away.

so cool people waxing poetic about how great cbs WAS..maybe create an online petition to bring your favorite product back? (are you guys on the list to get the new run of Jordan 6's?)

ratsnake - I hear you.

Reading through the last CBS topic after it closed, I caught myself thinking that CBS is actually appears a really "cool", a really cult thing to jump the bandwagon with. I mean quite a lot of people greiving about the loss vs. surprisingly low listeners' numbers lately.

Or maybe (hopefully) this obeservation is wrong, and the whole  radio concept thing appears to people like "ok, it's available. I'll listen two hours a week".

schmoltz wrote:

and the whole  radio concept thing appears to people like "ok, it's available. I'll listen two hours a week".

Generally i think this is at least part of it. When i know there is a special show on air, i always try to make it, but 24h radios without moderation i don't listen to often, also cause i think it is playing round the clock anyway. Back in the good old times, my favourite radio shows were weekly on air and that was always a celebration to listen to. I miss that.

Regarding CBS: now with all the equipment that was bought and the database that was built up, wouldn't it be a possibilty to use the studio for occassional shows at least? As far as i know the live shows,esp. those with guests and talk, had always lots of listeners. With occassional shows you can even bundle up such small scenes like those represented at the CBS. Cybernetic Broadcasting System transfered to Cybernetic Broadcasting Show?

Reality is just a simulation

30 (edited by verisimilitude 2008-07-13 03:18:04)

Decoder wrote:
schmoltz wrote:

and the whole  radio concept thing appears to people like "ok, it's available. I'll listen two hours a week".

Generally i think this is at least part of it. When i know there is a special show on air, i always try to make it, but 24h radios without moderation i don't listen to often, also cause i think it is playing round the clock anyway. Back in the good old times, my favourite radio shows were weekly on air and that was always a celebration to listen to. I miss that.

Regarding CBS: now with all the equipment that was bought and the database that was built up, wouldn't it be a possibilty to use the studio for occassional shows at least? As far as i know the live shows,esp. those with guests and talk, had always lots of listeners. With occassional shows you can even bundle up such small scenes like those represented at the CBS. Cybernetic Broadcasting System transfered to Cybernetic Broadcasting Show?

I would be surprised if they plugged the monster back into the grid for just 2 hours at a time.

I think robotdj.net fills that need. Not live but still there.

Motorfunker Radio Mixes
     Analysis - Synthesis
              "Obey"

a five year dj-set is a big thing

it sure is ..

33 (edited by Scarface 2008-07-13 22:52:29)

Speaking for myself. Didn't listen that much to the CBS cause I (as a collector) have more than enough to digest from the music I bought. CBS-radio (and the forum) was more a way to discover new and interesting music, not so much to listen to, every day. Maybe if I didn't buy records I would listen more to the CBS.

"Are you loving?"

funny enough with me, it was the other way around. instead of playing my own stuff all day, i could now tune into the cbs and hear not only most of my collection, but also a lot of great new stuff coming by...

I hadn't listened for a while on account of I gotz no internetz, but all the same, the cbs stream got me through some trying times and probably saved many lives.  didn't even get a chance to say good-bye, boo-hoo.  Sooo, good-bye cbs!  and hello again robots!

rock rock b-boy, rock rock man

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

rude66 wrote:

funny enough with me, it was the other way around. instead of playing my own stuff all day, i could now tune into the cbs and hear not only most of my collection, but also a lot of great new stuff coming by...

Yeah, funny cause the CBS got me buying records for which I need time to listen but then I got no (or little) time left to listen to the CBS-radio anymore. That's somewhat contradictive but how it worked with me. Mixes mostly give me more inspiration for (buying) new music than radio b.t.w. Radio is nice when you don't want to play music yourself but just relax.

"Are you loving?"

rude66 wrote:

agree with rude here, my turntables have hardly been revolving for the last 3 years
although like stentec ,the records i have bought have been thanks to the stream and other robots recommendations

keep hackney crap

oh yeah, same here with records. there was a time i hardly bought records anymore, but through the cbs i must have bought hundreds of records thei i either didn't know yet, or that i knew from the old days but somehow forgot about, or never knew what they actually were. probably the ones who benefitted most from the whole cbs thing were the record dealers..:D

rude66 wrote:

probably the ones who benefitted most from the whole cbs thing were the record dealers..:D

definitely, italo ebay records are $80 more expensive when they have "CBS" in the title / description!

so when's the next micro-party?

rude66 wrote:

oh yeah, same here with records. there was a time i hardly bought records anymore, but through the cbs i must have bought hundreds of records thei i either didn't know yet

here too, and its almost worth to open a topic "which records have you purchased because u heard it on cbs but nowhere else"

Every Friday Night We Dress In Black

elec pt.1 wrote:
rude66 wrote:

oh yeah, same here with records. there was a time i hardly bought records anymore, but through the cbs i must have bought hundreds of records thei i either didn't know yet

here too, and its almost worth to open a topic "which records have you purchased because u heard it on cbs but nowhere else"

most of my last two years purchased will go under this topic

btw <off topic> @elec pt.1 - your signature, i had this sentence on the wall for few years, cut it from some skate magazine when i was young. never know it was Nietzsche. </off topic>

Mule Driver wrote:

btw <off topic> @elec pt.1 - your signature, i had this sentence on the wall for few years, cut it from some skate magazine when i was young. never know it was Nietzsche. </off topic>

heres the complete quote:

.."this world`s a bubble"..

nice
thanks
smile

each month i would buy a load of new records get them home only to then listen to the stream instead. then i would hear more stuff i liked so more purchases. my unlistened pile just grew and grew and so did my credit card bill!!!

Life is cruel and then you die
Can

Robothek - radio for robettes and robots www.facebook.com/robothek

elec pt.1 wrote:
rude66 wrote:

the same for everyone around on the forum, we were all  noobies discovering news sounds everyday even the old timers...

it doesn't seem so long ago
when i loved you, my radio
you promised me so much, but now you've changed
you always played my favorite songs
those robot-disco marathons
inspired me to buy my first machines

you've changed and i don't know why
so strange you never said goodbye

i felt betrayed, and so i turned
to television, yet i've yearned
for you, my radio, you complete me
you used to play my favorite tracks
those basslines and synthetic claps
oh, radio, i miss those sounds the most

you've changed
you've changed
you've changed and i don't know why
so strange you never said goodbye

I also got back into buying vynils because of CBS (and not only disco or electro-nix, country, rnr, whatever) But then I would play the stream. Whenver I listened to music at home I would play the stream 7 out of 10 times. And I did listen to it like a motherfucker. In my opinnion it got a bit crazy with all those separate radio shows, I couldn't keep up with so many different things. When it was simple it was very very good radio also. Nothing wrong with preprogrammed playlists!, then you'll had the ocassional show, and of course the mother of all shows ever, which was the TOP 100.

It had to end cause the prez was T I R E D. And thats it. He's a fucking genius. He constructed one of the most amazing places I've been to. He did it. Its done. Its done, because its over. And its a good good job, theyve done.
Its bad the thing is over. But now its back to zero. look for records. Hang around this nice forum. Go to parties with maybe Ferenc djing mariachi songs on them. Future is always news. And news are always challenging.

burp

hzlz wrote:

a five year dj-set is a big thing

It's really strange, because the Saturday or sunday before the plug was pulled, I was randomly thinking about the cbs, and how much effort goes into it, and I was trying to think of alternatives to it running 24x7. Weird. Even all the way here in LA, even though I don't really communicate with anybody there, I could sense something was going on...