Topic: electrifying mojo : need mix

I'm curious about this guy and his influence he had on Detroit techno pionneers. Do you know where i can find some mixes  of him ?

Sending this transmission into the depths of space
I must complete my mission - destroy the human race

http://www.discogs.com/user/logistian

2 (edited by Communicator 2008-07-14 07:08:39)

Re: electrifying mojo : need mix

He was a radio jock who crafted that radio personality and won over the legion of young Detrioters by addressing them directly, as "members" and do things like tell them to all cruise up and down a certain street in caravan style, flashing their lights etc.

He was crucial to his listeners especially to those with musical inclinations as a manufacturer of taste, playing disparate works and music of all kinds as long as it was GOOD and GROOVIN' - much like the CBS did for so many people here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXu3Alw0-Hw

"Will the members of the Midnight Funk Association please rise. Please go to your porch light and turn it on for the next hour to show us your solidarity. If you're in your car please honk your horn and flash your lights, wherever you are. If you're in bed, get ready to dance on your back, in Technicolor. And get ready for the MFA. The word is... Don't say no, say triple-whammy-whoa. Hold on tight, don't let go. Whenever you feel like you're nearing the end of your rope, don't slide off. Tie a knot. Keep hanging, keep remembering, that it ain't nobody bad like you. This session of the International Midnight Funk Association is being called to order. Electrifying Mojo presiding. May the Funk be with you. Always..."

Classic radio. smile

So yeah, he was quite a character and even wrote a kooky book "The Mental Machine" (go figure!) that's over 500 pages of poetry, and short essays (on topics such as survival tips for seniors, and fatherless children).

Do it your way, because everyone else is just weird.

yeah, thanks for the info. Btw it's seems to be difficult to find mixes of him.
?

Indeed it's very difficult to find more than 5 minutes. I'd probably try to ask on littledetroit.net or find a Detroit general user forum where some of the users who grew up listening to Mojo might still have cassettes of the broadcasts.

great clip, what an amazing voice!!!!!

there was a cbs jingle of him ranting his "don't call me a disk jockey, I am a human radio station".

@ Communicator
It would be great smile

Funny cause he would start his show from the point of view of an extraterrestrial being descending upon Detroit and describe the sights he'd see as he was landing, landmarks, hookers, etc. A man of many mysteries and paradoxes for sure.

9 (edited by byron 2008-07-14 17:21:31)

schmoltz wrote:

there was a cbs jingle of him ranting his "don't call me a disk jockey, I am a human radio station".

so that was the mojo on that gingle?
'i aint like those rudey poops'

keep hackney crap

10 (edited by schmoltz 2008-07-14 18:58:03)

Byron, I frankly always thought so from the day I first heard it, but then again I never checked (if there was a way to check). Listening now to the youtube clips and looks like I was wrong.

A big Oops is due to all 'bots misled by my remark.

Edit: who is then in that "Human-radiostation" jingle in that case, I wonder?

11 (edited by zora 2008-07-14 19:27:48)

byron wrote:
schmoltz wrote:

'i aint like those rudey poops'

am i so totally wrong or arent you talking about pauli vs tyrell - little (syd remix)? well i dont have the record though, just know it from the top 100 2007, i think, so im not sure.

.."this world`s a bubble"..

i think its definitely a gingle zora, i've heard it a few times on the cbs independent of that pauli/tyrell record

keep hackney crap

oh this is what the mfa is about! i remember hearing the pledge on a radio (FM) dj mix or something back in the nineties before i had internet access.

it would be great to hear some full lenght shows though.

ok, so i was totally wrong. lol

.."this world`s a bubble"..

I used to have a few shows, including the infamous Prince interview but I've no idea where they are? I've got the Mental Machine on two CDr thanks to teep. If I get some free time I'll put them on Sendspace.

You're Fucking Out, I'm Fucking In

i found some mp3s at home of an interview he did with bootsy collins and a bit about ufos over ann arbor - will up post them up later..

iamelectron wrote:

If I get some free time I'll put them on Sendspace.

Cool. Try Mediafire, very hassle free.

just a couple of snippets:

Halloween Rap
1 03 And 55 Seconds

Thanks jonny five ! It's a good beginning ! smile

yeah, the mental machine is great listening... it's like therapy.

-tp

i pull this straight from dead post hell...

looking for electrifying mojo mixes / shows, wonder if nowadays it's easier to find?
besides what already mentioned here, i hardly could find nothing