Re: Production questions

Kenzaburo wrote:

COme on there are some goood progressive house tracks nowadays, it overlaps a lot with electro, techno etc .. Its not all bad. I could name even that Alden Tyrell and Bangkok Impact or Legowelt disco rout for example are progressive house kinda ... Actually they are filed under progressive house in beatport big_smile

Beatport sucks, everyone know Tyrell and Bankok is trance.

That's true Sander

SSM v3 wrote:

I really love the production on Duplex - Late Night Driving. Its so warm and mellow. Sounds great and the mids and trebles are really creamy. I'm sure its mostly analogue synths etc. but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about additional outboard/effects etc. that might be contributing to the sound. I think its probably being run through a particularly nice desk, any other suspects e.g. particular compressors, e.q's etc.?

Thanks...

Tracks were recorded over quite a long time so there was a shift in stuff we used, but these are the mainstays:

synths etc.
EMU ESI-4000 x2 used this ALOT!!! Generaly 80% is samples. Sampling own synths and stuff 'found' elsewhere.
Orbit, ESQ-1, Nord-rack 1+2, dx-100/27/200, juno106, waldorf Pulse. Probably also some TG-33, Bassstation, jx-3p and some softsynths as well (fm7, PPG wave).
Very little analog in our setup... :-) But the emu has this nice warm woolly sound if you sample stuff through it's own AD-converters. Stuff just sits well in the mix after sampling through this thing.

outboard
se-50's/70, zoom1201, microverb3, dbx 166, alesis 3630, rex-50, composers.

mixing
several diff. spirits, 2 diff. Allen heaths, mackie 1604.

Spend very, very much time on mastering this all though.

Hope this helps...

Gast..!

Hey, thanks callahan! Great Album and tunes.

Shows how much I know. I thought maybe you were running it all through some seriously expensive API or valve stuff. Guess its all about the mixing and mastering. Mm, the emu effect sounds interesting, sort of automatically eq's stuff in a good way. From how much you used them that seems to definitely have had a big impact on the sound. What did you use for sequencing? 

Nice selection of kit. What do you think of TG-33 by the way?

Keep up the good work.

SSM v3 wrote:

Hey, thanks callahan! Great Album and tunes.
I thought maybe you were running it all through some seriously expensive API or valve stuff.

Sadly not (yet)...  Although some tracks were recorded with parallel compression from a TL audio valve compressor.

SSM v3 wrote:

Guess its all about the mixing and mastering. Mm, the emu effect sounds interesting, sort of automatically eq's stuff in a good way. From how much you used them that seems to definitely have had a big impact on the sound.

Absolutly, and layering/detuning in the EMU aswell. And the Boss SE-50's...

SSM v3 wrote:

What did you use for sequencing?

Most of this was cubase. 1 track with ableton live 4, iirc.

SSM v3 wrote:

Nice selection of kit. What do you think of TG-33 by the way?

Love the sound, gritty. Most usefull for pads, strings and the occasional higher melody . Biatch to program though...

Gast..!

most emu's do this.. i still have an esi32 that also has that sound, but even something like the emax 2 i had made something actually sound fatter and warmer by sampling it..

rude66 wrote:

most emu's do this.. i still have an esi32 that also has that sound, but even something like the emax 2 i had made something actually sound fatter and warmer by sampling it..

True. I used to have an emax1 keyboard years ago. Also did this to even greater effect. Sadly had to get rid of it though. Had the choice of sleeping in a bed or on the emax... That thing is HUGE...

Gast..!

I have e-mu e4xt ultra here or something ... Got it for free but I just turned it on once, I think it has a harddrive inside or something

Kenzaburo wrote:

I have e-mu e4xt ultra here or something ... Got it for free but I just turned it on once, I think it has a harddrive inside or something

don't underestimate the power of hardware samplers. my ensoniq asr rocks the socks off any laptop!

emax 1 is lovely. built in chorus and nice filters.  its huge and pretty well built. but the floppy drive gave up years ago.  I need to sort that one day
e4xt looks pretty high spec.

heh heh.. keyboard samplers.. i had a mirage keyboard and later a rack.. i remember the emax kayboards, super.. that thing would have kept you nice and warm too.. big_smile

yes, old hardware samplers rock. if only it would be easier to interface them with a computer..

so is that emu I have good or not? To be honest I found it a little bit confusing to use and cumbersome compared to software samplers ... Maybe I will fall in love with it but now it is just gathering dust.

Kenzaburo wrote:

Man thats one of the top of the line EMU samplers from that time, and its also a synthesizer or workstation or whatever the fuck they called it.

39 (edited by Kenzaburo 2009-03-17 16:44:55)

Thats pretty neat. Anyway I am mostly concerned about quality of the filters.. I guess it doesnt really have real analog filters.. So whats the point using it if it is digital.. You could use software instead

There is a lot more going on like AD converters etc. Some old famous samplers synths drummachines whatever that are $$$$$$$$$$$$$ now also don't have analog filters

BTW I think you can put the standard EMU synth roms in that thing, like the vintage pro and proteus series roms

maybe I will hunt one of those down .. Vintage pro sounds nice

maybe do a comparison with your software sampler. the convertors are pretty well known on the emu's.  and its got lots of filter choices like those special z-plane things. can't believe you got that for free!  they were 2 grand or something in the nineties.

Yeah but now the value of hardware samplers is really low because software is so much more convenient. Of course you might get special flavour from hardware samplers but most people don't bother with them because it's so much more trouble.. but maybe I will look into the e-mu now, you lot got me curious. But again last time I tried I gave up because it was so... Ack

I think there must be a program to run on the pc or mac where you can fully control the sampler in a computer setup

Kenzaburo wrote:

Thats pretty neat. Anyway I am mostly concerned about quality of the filters.. I guess it doesnt really have real analog filters.. So whats the point using it if it is digital.. You could use software instead

I think you need a pretty expensive audio interface to get a sound quality as good as with emu's converters. And don't forget that using your sampler and its digital filters you save your computer power for other tasks like very complex vsts, max/msp, reaktor or whatever.
Anyway, there's a lot of non analog gear that's worth using for making music.

47 (edited by biotek 2009-03-17 23:02:17)

emu doesn't make ad/da converters.. also the emu1616(m) is actually very affordable. if you want the 'special' z-plane filters you can use emu's emulator x software sampler.

Monkey see, monkey do.

they dont make the converters, but emu was always known for their ''warm'' sound compared to akais etc. its the same kind of difference as between a vintage roland and a vintage moog.. big_smile

But the best sounding "warmest" samplers imo were always the rolands, the MKS100 /S550 and S760 etc. It sucks the MKS100 only has a maximum of 4 samples of 1 second each (or 1 sample of 4 seconds, or 2 samples of 2 seconds).

biotek wrote:

emu doesn't make ad/da converters.. also the emu1616(m) is actually very affordable. if you want the 'special' z-plane filters you can use emu's emulator x software sampler.

The 1616m is affordable but he said he got that sampler for free...