Re: ++Gear Down!++ Repair Thread

TONY COPS wrote:

MIDI controllers are like computer printers, they don't make deluxe ones and they're all disposable.

This statement is painfully true.

oh yeah.... also just opened up and cleaned out the foam gunk in my taurusII that I'm selling.

Got it just in time too - was starting to turn into sludge, and that shit is awful - like a crude oil spill in your synth. lucky none of it had made its way into any switches or sliders. I just had to scrape it off the tops of things, and off the inside of the case.

if you own a moog MG-1, rogue, TaurusII, or opus III (I think these are the ones that have the evil melting foam) get into your synth RIGHT NOW and make sure the foam is out of there, before it makes you have to replace all your sliders and switches. And if you can't do it yourself, pay someone to do it for you.

yeah, i have heard plenty horror stories about that stuff. nasty. another one is that foam stuff that can be ion the inside of flightcases.. it is exposed it crumbles, and also can get into anything that's in there.. pots, sliders, the keyboard, etc.

about midi controllers: there are good ones. the peavy 1600 was already mentioned, i had one and it wouldn't juust smash your novation, but you could use it to tear down a wall and it would still work. and i just sold an encore electronics knobby, they are the same. you can drive your car over it without a problem. i recently had the vestax vc300 controller here, and it also felt really good, though that's a dj controller but you can set it up for your synths too. the first 2 can be bought cheap second hand, the vestax is pretty expensive but worth it..

Isn't the foam suposed to protect your sliders from dust?

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

I'd take my chance with the dust, over the crude oil that this particular foam turns into...
:-)
but also, I'm selling it to a guy who is really meticulous with his gear (covers with sheets when not using it) so dust won't be a problem for him..

I've seen the dry crumbly foam before and just ripped it out and chucked it away- I always figured the dry crumbly foam could be vacuumed out if worst came to worst, but once your gear has this tar in the faders, it's time for new faders...

all my equipment is falling apart!

casio rz-1.  bass drum is incredibly quiet. slight crackle in the bd fader.  also what is the polyphony for the rz? there seems to be note stealing/muting going on which is acceptable for the hats, but triggering bd cuts off the tom above it. and the same for all other sounds, basically as they are laid out on the machine, the top/bottom sounds can't play together. I'm sure it wasn't like this before?

yamaha dx-27.  a few of the patch buttons don't work

solution, don't store equipment in a cold outdoor shed..

but anyone got any suggestions with these problems and am i dreaming about the rz1 polyphony or is this one sick ?

132 (edited by olivier8 2009-03-09 10:51:02)

Casio rZ-1
it's normal that the kick & the toms*, the snare & the rimshot*, the clap & the ride* and each sample of the same bank cut each other. (and the hats of course)

i find the kick a little on the low on the RZ1 by nature..not sure.

thanks olivier, thats good to hear. i couldn't remember if that was the way it worked.

also the rz internal battery is dud.  haven't opened it all up yet but any info on battery type and any specific care that needs to be taken doing the change?

i'm getting good results with normal deoxit first, then deoxit gold. i'm going through all my machines, and have already solved quite a few issues with this stuff. now there's a mixer waiting with something like 150 switches that are getting less and less willing to do their duty..

whats the best way for applying the deoxit? cotton ear buds?  and when buying it there seems to be spray cans, wipes, needle droppers, tubes?  anything to recommend?
thanks

i'm using the small bottles with a little brush inside.. expensive, but one drop will do the trick.

I just refurbished totally my SONY TC 366 reel machine..Changed the idlers rubbers & belts, cleaned & re-aligned the head path.. much easier than i thought.
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/3/11/873537/TC366.JPG

^^ that is the worst photo I have ever seen...  smile

It looks like a robot in that pic

I need someone to repair my mc202 envelope in holland, any recommendations?

www.artefacts.nl

he is one off the best.

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

mono-poly wrote:

www.artefacts.nl

he is one off the best.

ga er gelijk achteraan, thx!

wow.... I just repaired a dead key on my waldorf XTk that I'd been meaning to get around to for literally YEARS so i can sell it... (was G# in top octave, so I just played around it when I was using it)

It just took disassembling the keyboard to remove the keybed, and then taking the contact PCB off the bottom of that, pulling up the rubber key contact sheet, and cleaning the bad contact area with isopropyl alcohol! (err.. then putting it all back together again - no parts left over afterward either!!! bonus!)

if it'd known it would be that simple I'd have done it years ago!

i'm changing out the rz1 battery. its a br 2032.  is it necessary to change out exactly or will the more easily sourced cr 2032 be as good?

cr2032 = 210 mAh ; br2032 = 190 mAh. i think it should be better to take the original one.

As of a couple of days ago my Matrix 6r only outputs from L/mono ... nothing comes out of R.

Now before I open her up, does anyone know of any weird setting that would cause this? ... It was choking on some of the sysex I was sending it right before the R output stopped working, but I'm pretty sure the two things are unrelated.

just give it a factory reset.. then check the output. if the output jack still doesn't work, you can check the signal with a wire connected to your mixer, and follow the signal trace that comes from the jack.. if you make contact you should have sound..

rude66 wrote:

just give it a factory reset.. then check the output. if the output jack still doesn't work, you can check the signal with a wire connected to your mixer, and follow the signal trace that comes from the jack.. if you make contact you should have sound..

Appreciate it rude...will report back.

Happy Days! Just finnished fixing my Poly 61.. New battery and repaired the Tracks after the old battery pissed acid on the board big_smile

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

I bought a novation drumstation from a second hand shop when overseas. I just went to use it and when I tweak the knobs the sounds don't change, and sometimes it just freezes and needs a reboot. I read somewhere that it is likely to be a faulty power supply. Has anyone else had this problem before?

00101000 01100101 01101100 01101100 01101111 00101100 00000000 01010111 01101111 01110010 01101100 01100100 00101110