Topic: URGENT: i have an InDesign/bmp problem!

okay, so if i use bitmaps in indesign and do a pdf out of the file then i have those shitty thin frames around the bitmaps... why the fuck is that?

check out the poster here and you will know what i mean (the frames are around the spots and the two cowboys in the back):

http://www.bavariangigolonacht.de/images/events/1233.jpg

hope there is someone who can help me with this!
thanks in advance!

2 (edited by frigid 2010-02-14 07:47:22)

Re: URGENT: i have an InDesign/bmp problem!

thanks for your help, frigid! i just figured out that it probably has something to do with that transparent stuff.
if i do the spots in full colour there are no lines, hm... but what's really strange is if i open the pdf in photoshop as a tiff or jpg the lines are gone.
oh, mann... i really hate that shit!

4 (edited by Communicator 2009-04-15 22:09:20)

It does have to do w/ transparency and effects, especially if applied in InDesign. Maybe you could flatten transparency?  Also, it should just be a display issue, if you print, they're not there, right?

If you are using up to CS3 maybe you can package it and upload it for me to download and have me take a look. I do pre-press at a print shop and fix this stuff for a living. Let me know.

Do it your way, because everyone else is just weird.

5 (edited by Sander 2009-04-15 22:44:03)

I think I like those lines. Well atleast in the above example.

Too late...March 5th 2009 is already gone. smile

"Are you loving?"

QoB = fired

lol

DJ Hell is going to be VERY upset.

@ Communicator
"It does have to do w/ transparency and effects, especially if applied in InDesign."
-> hmpf, i was afraid of that! but why do they offer that shit if it doesn't really work in the end!
i was so happy when i finally could use indesign for shit like that because i really hate photoshop...
or better me too lazy to learn how to use it in a more professional way.

"Also, it should just be a display issue, if you print, they're not there, right?"
-> i have no idea... i never saw the above poster printed.

"If you are using up to CS3 maybe you can package it and upload it for me to download and have me take a look."
-> thanks for your kind offer. but the problem is solved at least for the thing i'm working on right now! no transparency, ha, ha...

"I do pre-press at a print shop and fix this stuff for a living. Let me know."
-> really? cool, so if i ever have that problem again (and i probably will) i will contact you, if it's okay for you!

@ Sander
"I think I like those lines. Well atleast in the above example."
-> good to know... so iit doesn't really matter if the lines are visible on the poster!

@ Scarface
"Too late...March 5th 2009 is already gone."
-> he, he... you are pretty waakzaamtje there!
but it's not the thing i'm working on right now. it's an old poster i did.
i only posted it to show you what i'm talking about.

@ cebteq
"QoB = fired"
-> ha, ha, ha... good one! sorry, but i have to disappoint you!

Queen Of Blood wrote:

-> really? cool, so if i ever have that problem again (and i probably will) i will contact you, if it's okay for you!

Sure. Just PM me, and I'll get the message promptly and have a look.

I know it's with certain effects. Not sure exactly but it doesn't always come up, it's kind of rare in my experience. But whenever I would print it out they weren't there.

tiff/psd is bitmaps too

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

i kinda liked the lines too big_smile even if they had shown up in print, i think the average viewer wouldn't have noticed its a fault
but of course, can only speak for example above.

I deal with this problem all the time, the lines appear on screen but don't translate to print. I have to explain this about 3 time a week to account handlers who don't believe me.

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

yes the lines are a very common problem. You can always open the pdf in photoshop just to confirm the lines are not there

Dancin' for freaks and fame!

is that suzi quatro in the poster?

keep hackney crap

17 (edited by Communicator 2009-04-16 17:37:42)

Adobe reader also renders the letters l and i wider than the others (depending on the font) and people always thell me it's wrong. I then have to explain the weird display-only issue and tell them to zoom real close or print it out to confirm that everything's ok. Adobe PDF is cool but has some annoying quirks, for now.

@communicator, yeah that "i" issue in reader is annoying as hell. i've run into it more than a few times with folks. i'm actually working on a PDF that has embedded movie and audio and hide/reveal buttons into the PDF to make it interactive, speaking of PDF coolness. 

@QOB, very awesome poster design!!

worship the potentiometer.

okay, i asked a guy at the agency i'm working today and he told me that there is a special pdf setting for that transparency stuff:
extended -> transparency reduction -> default -> high resolution

haven't tried it yet, but i hope it will work... anyway, thanks for your help, robots! smile

@ screenvinylimage
thank you! smile

@ byron
yep, suzi and her guys!

Let us know if that does the trick Queen.

@ Communicator
hmpf, just tried it... and it doesn't really work.
those scheiss lines are still there. only if you look at the thing in full size some lines seem to disappear when you sroll.
really strange...

What if you try exporting as an EPS, open in Illustrator and then save as a PDF there? You never know the kinds of hoops you have to jump with this stuff. I've had to do some wacky stuff to get things to image right.

had the same issue myself a while ago, think it was in illustrator. Transparency is indeed the culprit.