Re: Live 8 released

I've had my copy for a few weeks and I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm pretty sure this will be my last Live update for a while.  Folder tracks are definitely my favorite new feature and something I've been pining for for years...which is kind of sad when you think about it, but whatever.  The new repitch and fade modes for the bulit-in delays is nice.

I'm still on the fence about the way they've implemented step recording.  Not advancing the insert marker by the step value at note-off seems a bit counter-intuitive when you consider that pretty much every other implementation of step recording works that way.   I'm not down with having to press the arrow key for every step after I enter my notes. 

And yes, it's a shame that they can't sort out proper MIDI sync.  It doesn't seem like they'll support SysEx anytime soon either (and since Max for Live is apparently restricted by Live's MIDI architecture, it won't be able to send out SysEx data either hmm ).

I've got live 8 since a week and so far didn't have big issues,a part a weird windows run time error because I was working on a previous session made in live 7.
Any new session I created in 8 works flawless...
also no midi sync issues....and I've got many midi ports from different devices...
like the kenton runs out of the 828 midi out and it works perfect (3 synths + dyn sync + midi clock on it),the mpc3000 syncs from kore2 controller midi out (!) and so far snappy precision.
I guess the secret is that I freshly installed windows again before installing live8.
I really love many of the new features (especially select many and group faders,logic style) but for some reason I can't get along with the new warp. I got so much used to the old way that now I feel...lost big_smile
No more random glitchy shit by moving the markers around eheh

so - one thing that pricked up my ears with the live 8 upgrade, is their claim of improved MIDI editing... now as far as I'm concerned, MIDI editing in live is the worst of any DAW that I've ever used.... so HOW did they actually improve it this time? (seeing that there's such astronomical room for improvement here) Is anyone here using Live for MIDI sequencing, and notice any difference with this revision?

I almost only do midi with Live, the improvements are minor, there's step recording, that's cool, like on a Pro-1 or a Poly-800 or something, that's cool, but maybe not that useful.
The notes sound when you click them, also the note name is indicated on the note (I think that's new).
The copy pasting is improved.
There's probably other things but I can't think of anything else.

It just seems using external instruments is not a well supported feature of Live, I don't like the way it handles midi to audio, for saving and storing clips and tracks.
Instead they push their libraries, which sound like crap to me.  Version 8 gave me the feeling they're moving towards something that won't suit me in a few versions, instead of implementing something that would suit me better.
My next computer is going to be a mac, maybe I'll switch to logic then.

btw they wrote back to me saying the variable latency and higher latency in 8 is a "known issue" and they are working on it.  Let's just hope it's a priority for them.