thanks Paudical

Re: are you an artbot? show us your works

@lixa
i like the third one, the composition and these transparency effects

what about your avatar fvo?

it

56 (edited by lixa-6 2009-05-25 18:17:17)

sorry i am rude fvo, great picture too of yurs, interesting style, kind of 80s i like that, liking the cats and ant eater. Is it paint, spraypaint?
edit that second one is pretty mad for a 5 yr old, very good abstract haha, nice!
Yep with mine i like adding layers over layers, transparent bits with very thin paint, the bonus of acrylic.
That 3rd one is one of my more trying to paint like a computer pieces, i made it in photoshop then copied, hard work and not much fun. I dont think i want to do anymore of them unless someone payed me.
I got 4 unfinshed paintings here including a big one of the xb-70 valkyrie, aahhh must finish!

"positive mutation!"

lixa, i'm sorry to hear that you didnt much enjoy the process on the third one, i rather love it.
i was wondering what medium/process you used. hand copying from pixes can be trying sometimes.
have you ever done a gesso transfer? you can take print outs from a laser printer or xerox machine, apply a thick coat of clear acrylic gesso to canvas, lay print face down on gesso (like you would a sticker, from a corner working diagonally to avoid air bubbles/pockets and ripples) let dry then was the paper off with a wet sponge/thumb. the image is offset onto the canvas and can be painted/treated as you wish. keep in mind though that the offset image will be a mirror image, so flip your image horizontally first.

was your second painting there also done in acrylic? if so i'm impressed! smile

lixa-6 wrote:

Is it paint, spraypaint?

it was painted, spraypainted, drawn, scanned, corrected in photoshop

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3589/3562964753_d9d642649b.jpg
a latex & oil painting i finished recently. from the series "people holding things"

Wow plator, thats a good looking painting. I like the simplicity and real nice colours. Thats what i would like to do, some pictures with alot of negative space or one colour around the subject and simplicity in the detail and shading. I like your thin outlines round the tones. Latex and oil hey, interesting another thing i would like to try, oil and water based paint.

Yep my process i got a a3 printer so i will print out bits, rub a B pencil on the back then trace the outline, pretty oldschool. But you still have to draw it in properly after cause its pretty rough. I must get myself some carbon paper, like people use for typing, surely better than the pencil.
Ive got a projector too that i use for big paintings but again, its old and the focus is fucked so im just getting a rough outline.
I have used that tshirt printing stuff before that you brush on a photocopy. I havent used it in a while, i was being a bit lazy then i think, well i didnt have all the time I have now on my hands. Still the result is interesting, one pic i did with it was with yuri gagarin and some painted abstract business around the print. I sold that to a radio dj in denmark, he said he was famous but i cant remember his name, thats the last painting i sold actually and it was really quick to do.
Yes the second is acrylic too, maybe bit posca pen here and there, that painting took a long time. I wasnt too sure of it when i was doing it but now i really like it, i had being staring at it too long.
Well seing as i got good feedback on my graphic photoshop piece, perhaps i should do more, thanks. Well i kinda lied, i am doing a photoshop piece for my brother right now for his birthday but theres no graphics in it just a collage.

"positive mutation!"

thank for your kind words lixa
it's the first work i have completed since leaving university 2 years ago, so i'm glad it came out well. i have had a hard time re-igniting my drive since i left school (and their studios).

what is this "tshirt printing stuff" that you brush onto the paper? is it like xylene/nail polish remover transfers? if so i'd be careful, not only can it be a carcinogenic but if its a solvent like xylene or something it may melt your gessop and any painting youve done underneath it.

the oldschool tracing method takes time but it works! i had to trace that painting above. drew it really small (like 3x5 inches), went to kinkos and xeroxed it off on 11x17" paper, blew it up to fit the 3x4' canvas, covered the back in willow charcoal, traced it on, went over lines with sharpie, painted, painted black outlines overtop. final ammount of times i had to draw & redraw = 5.

for my second one i managed to get a really powerful opaque projector and just used my original sketch. saved a lot of time (and about $20)

Yep im jsut getting back into painting after years of doing barwork and such, i had no time or many artistic thoughts. The longer you go without painting the harder it is to get back into i found. Im going to try not to stop again, really try! but again thats easy to say, until you get some shite job.
I suppose im in a lucky situation now, no job and plenty of time to paint and think, it is the only bonus of being unemployed.
No the t shirt printing stuff is water based i was using, works well, its prob what you were talking about its like a gel. Brush it on the photocopy then transfer, rub off the paper with a wet sponge.
Ahh an opaque projector! i must get one! im using an acetate projector someone was throwing out, it was free.
Well yeah its so much easier with a projector, and you can move the projector back and fourth to get the desired size instead of trying to get a computer print exactly the right size for the canvas.
Well keep up the art dont stop, good luck.

"positive mutation!"

fvo wrote:

it

i too am currently unemployed, thanks to the economic downturn
hmm
its poopy but yeah, i at least have time to start working on art again.
hopefully my next job wont be so creatively draining (i was working in GD/3D/interaction design) that i'll be able to come home at night and paint and draw still.
stay strong & good luck to you too dude!

Right i see, same boat then, poop indeed. Well tis lucky we got our art.
I shall put some new stuff here when i finish it, hopefully wont be too long. owkee

"positive mutation!"

@fantomas
no, polish, didn

lixa-6 wrote:

a few paintings from the last yr

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3209/304 … 00be_b.jpg

how big is this one? like it a lot.

@Plat0r
this new work looks more like silkscreen than the silkscreens you posted here earlier smile
works made in this technique i used to see were usually quite similar, with flat color and visible halftone, I like these effects in your works which look like aquarel painting, and the contrast between these parts and the forms with outline

i love using acrylic too. here are some old ones.

http://andrewicooke.com/images/72.jpg

http://andrewicooke.com/images/61.jpg

Jeez aic some complex paintings there, theyre excellent! how long they take? must have been pretty daunting. Did you know what you were going to paint when you started or you kept adding as you went along?
I guess they are quite big, um my spaceman painting is about 100 x 140cm, i would like to do bigger tho, real big.

"positive mutation!"

you guys make some great stuff!

damn aic!
those are impressive
loving the otters there (that is what they be, right?)
i wish i had the kind of control over acrylic aic & lixa have.

the smell of acrylic paint makes me feel sick sad

74 (edited by meschi 2009-05-27 10:57:57)

aic wrote:

i love using acrylic too. here are some old ones.

http://andrewicooke.com/images/72.jpg

http://andrewicooke.com/images/61.jpg

fuckin hell andrew, those paintings really are superb.

edit: how big are they?

lixa-6 wrote:

Jeez aic some complex paintings there, theyre excellent! how long they take? must have been pretty daunting. Did you know what you were going to paint when you started or you kept adding as you went along?
I guess they are quite big, um my spaceman painting is about 100 x 140cm, i would like to do bigger tho, real big.

er dunno, about a month if i'm working on them everyday but that doesn't happen often. they all start from a rough idea and then the layers just build up and build up. more fun than daunting i reckon!

Pages Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next

You must login or register to post a reply

Robots for Robots → Random media → are you an artbot? show us your works