Topic: should I buy...

sun la shan - catch on white vinyl

i already have the blue 12" & the red 7"....but not the white....
the shop is asking $60 though, and i'm pretty sure i heard a flaw on the instrumental (about 1 minute in, it kinda hiccuped, every revolution there was something causing a split second of no sound. odd.) it wwasnt a scratch though, more like an inverted dimple  (record nipple?)

still....$60 for something that didnt seem to play properly....should i get it?

another find was proxyon's space guards
http://www.discogs.com/Proxyon-Space-Gu … ase/494027

for $25. looked good, sounded good, but not sure if it's my cup of tea (i only sampled it, didnt really have time to listen to it properly).

also i found taffy's white & black from '82 on pheonix
http://www.discogs.com/Taffy-White-Black/release/724278

sounded good, but they were asking $20 for it, and i feel i should be able to find it for less, no?
is it ultra rare or something?

Re: should I buy...

taffy black and white should be a 2-5 dollar record
and i wouldn't pay more than 10 for any proxyon record...
and not sure on the rarities of the diff sun la shan presses. personally, i only pay more than $50 for records if it's unavailable in any other format and i have a special need or attachment for it. 60 bux for a record you already have in two other formats seems excessive, but that could just be me tongue tongue

it's good to know i wasn't crazy for walking away from those then.
i noticed moseslawson on discogs saying that the white pressing of catch isn't the best sounding pressing? would he mean of all the colours, or just the one he's selling in comparison to the other whites? anyone have some insight?

the store i found these at...great stuff, lots of rarities, and on ocassions (like today) a good handful of italo.
i used to be able to find stuff in the dollar bin (fancy, fun fun, taffy, lian ross) but i fear they've wisened up to discogs and are pricing stuff based on it's prices. they actually use it as a selling point ("buy it online or buy it here and save on shipping!"). i had resolved to stay away from there during the economic bleakness, but i broke down today while job hunting sad

Plat0r wrote:

i used to be able to find stuff in the dollar bin (fancy, fun fun, taffy, lian ross) but i fear they've wisened up to discogs and are pricing stuff based on it's prices.

Yeah, the dollar box suddenly turns into the $10 box hmm

Just about given up record hunting in Melbourne, shit condition records at mint prices.
Better deals on ebay (and even sometimes on discogs, if you can believe that)

yeah, whats with mint price for vg records!? i paid $20 for a horribly scuffy/scratchy copy of rolando's jaguar/ascension from them before, i just couldnt bare to leave without it after having spent 3 hours in their basement. i do the work of finding a needle in a haystack of streisand & boring tk disco releases for them to jack the price up on something they didnt even realize they had. goddammit, i'm starting to remember why i stopped going into that store! >:(

alright, next record....
Sylvester And The Hot Band - Bazaar
i have their s/t release, which was alright, no patrick cowley sounding rhythms of course, but i dont want to spend more cash on a sylvester album thats gonna be meh. any hidden gems on it? the store i saw it at doesnt have a listening station (unfortunate) hmm