Re: Piratebay

SFU is a great name atleast

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

Dez wrote:

that's some aweosme American style corruption right there

layered with other nations assissting

153 (edited by huxflux 2009-04-25 11:59:53)

don't know if its posted yet, but here is some info about the judge in the piratebay trial beeing biased
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/04/23 … d_of_bias/

154 (edited by Poodle 2009-05-06 04:11:21)

IFPI attacks torrentbytes.net

in swedish

translated to english

155 (edited by Poodle 2009-05-23 12:43:04)

latest update:

Anders Eka, the judge that has been apointed to check if judge Norstr

what i'm wondering is: how can these guys all be members of a copyight organisation? i think you can only be that if you are an artist and have copyrighted works out there.
like here in holland, we artists are all members of buma.. which of course doesn't mean we support their policies ( and certainly not those of their online copyright police).. so while they may be members, there is not necessarily a conflict of interest..

they are interested in copyright stuff, one could think that would make them biased (co-judges, professors in the subject etc), but they're personal view is that they aren't, which also is a problem since if there is a slightest change that the public will look at them as biased they shouldn't take the case.

rude66 wrote:

like here in holland, we artists are all members of buma..

not everyone is, we're definitely not

it costs us only money

paying the buma 0,48 cent per record when I want to release my OWN music

crazy!

it's only usefull to be a member of buma if you have regular radio airplay or lots of license deals

159 (edited by Poodle 2009-05-24 23:24:04)

huxflux wrote:

they are interested in copyright stuff, one could think that would make them biased (co-judges, professors in the subject etc), but they're personal view is that they aren't, which also is a problem since if there is a slightest change that the public will look at them as biased they shouldn't take the case.

yes that is what im trying to say if some not so small part of the public believes someones is biased then he or she IS biased (even if he/she is really isnt) and shouldnt take the case! the law puts it as simple as that. the law system needs a good reputation to work and people to respect it otherwise some day people will make their own justice.

Peter Sundin, one of tpb guys on trail put it in a funny way: "i cant help to notice and get a bad feeling when all the judges in this case always have had some connection to the prosecution side but never have been friends with any of our laywers"

Nukubot wrote:
rude66 wrote:

not everyone is, we're definitely not

it costs us only money

paying the buma 0,48 cent per record when I want to release my OWN music

crazy!

it's only usefull to be a member of buma if you have regular radio airplay or lots of license deals

all unions work like the maffia, dont they? smile

@nukubot:

oh, come on.. thats nonsense and you know it. first, you get that money back as the artist minus a few percent. second, there are/were exceptions rfor people who run their own labels and release their own music.
i'm hardly a big international artist, but even i get a nice cheque in the mail a few times a year from buma, its always worth it if you release anything more than , say, 1 record.

these organisations were set up by and for the artists/composers.. they are not the enemy..

161 (edited by Poodle 2009-05-24 23:35:28)

i hear you ruud. i believe they mean well. the thing i dont like with all these musician unions is that they are always so narrow minded.

first they are against records and crying on about how records and synths and other new technology are killing "live" music. now when records are dying out they cant stop crying either. i mean wtf? hmm

rude66 wrote:

Not me.

rude66 wrote:

@nukubot:

oh, come on.. thats nonsense and you know it. first, you get that money back as the artist minus a few percent. second, there are/were exceptions rfor people who run their own labels and release their own music.
i'm hardly a big international artist, but even i get a nice cheque in the mail a few times a year from buma, its always worth it if you release anything more than , say, 1 record.

these organisations were set up by and for the artists/composers.. they are not the enemy..

do your homework first, Rude, I did mine

it's not nonsense, I checked very carefully with Buma and they advised me NOT to become a member, because I release my own music

it's only useful to be a member of such a copyright organisation, when you're ONLY an artist, not when you're an artist who runs his own label and releases his own music

then you have to pay 0,48 cents per record to buma for your own music and you get 0,43 cents back, at least one year later

I would be getting "a nice cheque in the mail", but it would be with my own money

164 (edited by Nukubot 2009-05-25 17:08:14)

oh, and besides: the are/were no exceptions for people who run their own labels and it's also not going to happen, that's a myth

checked it three times with three different people at Buma: it's not true

165 (edited by Poodle 2009-05-26 04:25:42)

here in Sweden we now have several cases of election cheating/sabotage for the coming EU election

in swedish

translated here

in this video a member of Piratpartiet(the pirate party) confronts election workers about how they have thrown away pirate party ballots

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANSjR_8ydyo[/youtube]

166 (edited by Poodle 2009-05-29 06:54:44)

a swedish minister has dinner with record industry and other intellectual property defenders and as a thank you for dinner she sings out her joy about the verdict in the piratebay case. which everyone knows is not over quite yet  (which pretty much makes it minister rule).

swedish

translated here

are we living in a democracy or plutocracy? you tell me...

Pirate party demands that she will apologize to the piratebay

translated here

and something nice for bots who understand swedish.

[i]Dissa IPRED!
Vi g

rude66 wrote:

@nukubot:

no exceptions for people with own label, and no exceptions period.
if some jerk decides to put my music on a russian website i can't do shit.
if i want to put my own music on my own website and i happen to be a buma member i'll have to pay buma for playing my own music.
i'll get a nice check after one year, or more, with my own money back, minus a percentage for wich they did exactly NOTHING. Nothing but cash my money pay marco borsato get interest and send the rest back to me.

as long as i'm not in the BIG numbers they can suck my ### and kiss my @$$.
so tiesto or armin, please put me on your nex album, i'll be the first to join BUMA after that (if they still sell more than 1000 pieces that is, otherwise i'll gladly take a nice advance and forget about it).

it's time they, like the rest of the music industry whores , start to see it's a different time and new rules are needed.

168 (edited by Poodle 2009-05-29 13:58:28)

i read some article about the Happy Birthday song. it still makes up 1% of all music royalties beeing payed out to this day.

funny thing is that the woman who wrote it never got a cent. it was another guy that put it in a song book (well he just took it) then later he sold the rights and today it is owned by some big corporation making billions of dollars from it.

some people even have to pay money to play their own music live!

i say fuck all this alltogheter. you cant own an idea or a series of 1's and 0's
the 3rd world needs green technology yesterday but cant afford to pay royalties to use the technology. they need medicine but cant afford to pay the royalties. and we never get a cure for anything only treatments because the companies want to make money on you for the rest of your sorry life.
that is why we are getting super bacteria, because there is very little profits in antibiotics compared to treatments you have to consume maybe for the rest of your life.

soon enough people will be dropping like flies because our antibiotics have stopped working. physicians are screaming for new antibiotics and the industry couldnt care less...

patents are fucking up the software industry. there is always some fucking bastard who owns the patent for some function in the program you just wrote.

i wont go into the dodgy stuff about patents on electric cars getting bought up and put on ice...

intellectual property is not promoting innovation!

well, the big problem is that these organisations, like the rest of the industry, are a little behind. a lot of artists make a big part of their income from copyright organisations though, and they are not all big guys. for example, you get money if your track is played on foreign radio or if stuff is licensed or covered by other artists. but i agree that its a bit silly that there are no rules or exceptions for artists who run their own labels.

@poodle: patents and intellectual property are a double edged sword. your point is a valid one, but you can also argue that a LOT of research has to go into any cure for anything, and the only way that'll ever be funded is if some company can make that money back by getting the patent. besides, patents doen't last forever, there is only a limited amount of years before basically anyone can start making a certain medicine..

I heard you have some advantage when you're and artist playing live. In that case it's not a bad idea becomming a member (probably the reason why you do get a nice cheque sometimes rude).
If you only release music it's not worth it untill somebody plays it on the radio (and not once, but several times).

rude66 wrote:

well, the big problem is that these organisations, like the rest of the industry, are a little behind. a lot of artists make a big part of their income from copyright organisations though, and they are not all big guys. for example, you get money if your track is played on foreign radio or if stuff is licensed or covered by other artists. but i agree that its a bit silly that there are no rules or exceptions for artists who run their own labels.

@poodle: patents and intellectual property are a double edged sword. your point is a valid one, but you can also argue that a LOT of research has to go into any cure for anything, and the only way that'll ever be funded is if some company can make that money back by getting the patent. besides, patents doen't last forever, there is only a limited amount of years before basically anyone can start making a certain medicine..

ruud for president of buma smile
(y) i guess 'elk voordeel heb z'n nadeel' (every advanage has it's disadvantage)

172 (edited by cebteq 2009-05-29 23:50:27)

its easy if you just learn preventive care.  of course these research companies battling for patents (that keep poor countries from ever developing) dont want you to know.  thats why in the US less than 2% of the money for the "war on drugs" goes to keeping people away from drugs.  the rest goes to law enforcement, medicine/ health care system/ research companies/ rehabs etc etc

173 (edited by Poodle 2009-05-30 16:59:14)

95 years (which i think is the new one) for arts and 25 years (20+5) for medicine patents is not reasonable.

5-10 years for all kinds of immaterial rights is more than reasonable i think. this is a good compromise i think between letting the  person/company have a chance to earn back a profit and then be forced to invent something new to make further money.

a reasonable win-win situation for both the society and the companies

@ruud, speaking on cures etc. antibiotics research is not that complicated it is just that very very few companies actually want to do it.

Poodle wrote:

5-10 years for all kinds of immaterial rights is more than reasonable i think. this is a good compromise i think between letting the  person/company have a chance to earn back a profit and then be forced to invent something new to make further money.

You think this based on what?

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

175 (edited by Poodle 2009-05-30 17:02:25)

most art is dated after 5 years anyway why dont let people share it?

i think the artist will profit from this in the long run