Topic: junk or not

guys, is this worth anything??
PAROS 750 4 track tape recorder, same as shown here:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAm6uy1D5k0[/youtube]
should I put it back on the nature strip or try to sell it?

thanks smile

2 (edited by ramos 2009-06-02 07:59:54)

Re: junk or not

dude! i'm after a tape recorder...

does it work?

edit: google reveals nothing

ramos wrote:

dude! i'm after a tape recorder...

does it work?

no idea, found it outside (in a case) so who knows. not really prepared to electrocute myself to find out

ramos wrote:

edit: google reveals nothing

yeah, but robots know more than google, so thought I'd ask here wink

4 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2009-06-02 08:49:46)

It looks cute and obscure so if you want it to just stand around and look cool, go for it.  If you really want to use it in- or outside the studio, better get something from a more known brand for which spare parts and service are more easy to get. Revox/Studer, Teac/Tascam, Otari or perhaps Fostex will be a better choice. Reel recorders need to be maintained even when they are not used and too often they have been neglected. Parts like belts, pinchrollers, springs, motors and heads are often worn or in need of special attention.

Edit: Sorry, didn't know you already have it. I guess you just get a new tape and see what it does. Perhaps inspect it, do the heads look right (no badly worn head gap), does it power up neatly (do the engines run and break when winding), stuff like that.

5 (edited by hysteric 2009-06-02 08:52:41)

Sorry to be crass, but is it worth anything?

I don't really have any use for it (or the space to keep it)

edit: it has definitely been neglected...

No I can't help you there. My guess is as good as yours... If it's neglected and spare parts are impossible to find, it's basically worthless for anybody who wants to use it. But since it's pretty rare some collector could be interested. Maybe you could check some local hi-fi forum, see if anybody has any interest there.

ok thanks, might try it on ebay.

make some edits with it... you have the time!