Topic: First barcodes on record sleeves?

when did the first barcodes appear on record sleeves? anybody?
thanks in advance! smile

Re: First barcodes on record sleeves?

1991ish?

clearly this must be different from country to country and from label to label.

The first barcode was used on a pack of bubblegum says wikipedia in 1973 so somewhere between then and now.... big_smile Why you want to know anyway?

"Are you loving?"

guess she bought something from mid or early 80ties and wants to go for sure if it is an original or a repress

Europa has burned, and will burn again

I think somewhere halfway the 80's. 85 for sure, but maybe earlier too. Really depends on label and country I guess.

yeah, probably early eighties

@ Queen Of Blood.

ich schreibs mal in deutsch... ich nehme an, Deine Frage bezieht sich auf den von vielen Sammlern verhassten Strichcode, der nur ein Teil des Barcodes ist. Barcodes gibt es bereits seit den 50er Jahren. Der Strichcode + EAN (13 stellig) setzte sich aber erst in den 80ern bei Schallplatten durch. Und auch nur bei den Major Labels. Bis heute verwendet kaum ein (kleineres) Label solch ein System, eher wird er vom Vertrieb (wenn einer zur Hand) nachtr

discogs sales 
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise.'" - JOHN PEEL (1939 - 2004)

@ JamesTRubotnik
"1991ish?"
-> naaa, that's too late...

"clearly this must be different from country to country and from label to label."
-> yeah, it is...

@ Scarface
"The first barcode was used on a pack of bubblegum says wikipedia in 1973 so somewhere between then and now.... big_smile"
-> then your wiki is wrong! big_smile german wiki says: 26. Juni 1974 in Troy, Ohio -> 10er Packung Wrigley Juicy Fruit.
but in germany we had to wait another 4 years...

"Why you want to know anyway?"
-> i was checking my kraftwerk collection the last 2 days and submitted some missing releases to discogs (kraftwerk section on discogs is a total mess btw).
i have two computer world lp u.s. pressings here on warner (promo and official) and both have a barcode on the back of the cover.
so i would like to know if those two pressings are from 1981 or later.
as kraftwerk back then was always a step forward i'm pretty sure that both pressings are from 1981.
although my official one has no picture inner sleeve (maybe it was replaced because it was ripped), the white inner sleeve aehm... smells pretty 80's.
unfortunately the image page of the discogs entry misses the complete back cover: http://www.discogs.com/viewimages?release=23300
so i have keine ahnung what it looks like. and then there is also that comment of Lookomo that says:
Well, we all know that barcodes appear later. (hmpf, do we?) http://www.discogs.com/history?release=23300

@ EliasRafael
"guess she bought something from mid or early 80ties and wants to go for sure if it is an original or a repress"
-> you know me so well, baby! smile

@ narcisco & raoul
yeah, probably early 80's... i thought so too!

@ captain duran
"ich schreibs mal in deutsch..."
-> okay! smile

"ich nehme an, Deine Frage bezieht sich auf den von vielen Sammlern verhassten Strichcode, der nur ein Teil des Barcodes ist."
-> hm, always thought barcode and strichcode is the same...

"Auch spielt das Land der Herstellung dabei eine Rolle. W

did somebody mention the F

you mean Berkan? He rules, but F

Europa has burned, and will burn again

cebteq wrote:

did somebody mention the F

"Are you loving?"

oh it says Fr

"O.k. I'm gone then, I thought someone called me."
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_GG64t2FFxuQ/R7Jmy_rz3_I/AAAAAAAAANs/Aa2c6rQ7biI/s320/HMcover.jpg

"Are you loving?"

hahah smile

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Robots for Robots → Addicts → First barcodes on record sleeves?