Topic: what active monitors should i buy?

hi people!

since i just took a peek in the topic where you guys flash your spaceshuttle cockpits smile
first thing im buying is an evolution, but:

i need monitors.. affordable ones!

a friend of mine bought those KRK Rokit 8, and theyre great!

but when im looking at those giant setups you guys have, i see more smaller monitors..

so, what kind of wattage should i go for?

im in room thats about 5x5 metres, but my current speakers are right in front of me, blasting in my face

my current stuff is 2 old technics speakers, which i blown up, on an old crappy stereo

should i buy the krk rokit? or is there an alternative?

im not rich so that should narrow it down some...

any suggestions?

thanksS!

Re: what active monitors should i buy?

Dynaudio BM6a?
mine make me happy - but maybe more than you want to spend right now.

in the lower range, a lot of people seem to like yamaha HS80s

yamaha hs80s are good and not so expensive, the alesis prolinear I heard they also have a really nice output

4 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2009-06-20 14:28:10)

I can't compare with other makes and brands, but I think krk's are pretty decently balanced for the price. I use the rp6 in an edit suite and I like that they give a quite good response on lower listening volumes and that they don't make me tired after working 10 hours straight. Perhaps the bass isn't very detailed but I reckon it's good enough considering the price and size of the speakers, and the mids and highs are really clear. The RP8's will probably be better at giving a more detailed low, but I can't say. I don't think you'll be disappointed by them but since I don't mix down music on them my opinion is pretty much worthless smile

krk rp6 here and for the price they're going I recommend them

if you looking for cheap look at the alesis m1 mk2s.    I got mine for $150 and they are decent.

yes i also got the alesis m1's and they are very good for the price. they do the job nicely. they have a lot of bass for a 6" woofer, but it's not the clearest one.

Adam A7

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

Erroraudio wrote:

Adam A7

Yes, I totally agree. Use them also. But the best thing is to go to your hardware-dealer and listen and feel by yourself. You really should listen before buying. And even you dont have so much money at the moment you should wait a littlebit in order to spent more money for your Monitor. Most important thing is to feel good or very good with YOUR choice. Your ears will be grateful ...

KRK RP6 owner here as well, I agree that these are not the best of the breed, but for the price you pay those are really
good. And I can confirm that the pair I have doesn't tire your ear after session of 8-10 hours, which is definitely a huge
plus. Always mind your health!
I agree as well that the bass frequencies are a bit lacking (but not completely absent, don't get me wrong), either you
go for the RP8 which gives you more "beef" (I couldn't find them over here in Switzerland at the time I was shopping
for monitors, but I used those of a friend for half a year) or you get the KRK sub to match them.

And of course, if I had the money in my budget I would have gone for the Dynaudio.... BM6 are very good, alredy on
the professional level - not that the KRK aren't, but you can really feel the difference (in the price as well.... smile
A.

11 (edited by no-fi 2009-06-21 04:27:53)

before I got my BM6a monitors the other week I had (well, they're still here, actually) a pair of alesis monitor one MK2, with the RA300 amp. Really, they're not that bad either - certainly good enough to record and mix with, once you learn how the low end from them works in your room, and learn to work around what you can't directly hear.

this kind of setup can be had cheap now, and to me, at the lower end of the monitor market, I get the feeling you're better off going for passive monitors and a decent matched power amp than the cheaper active monitors....

well, you all gave a lot of feedback so now its about time to shop!
luckily theres a pretty good arms dealer in town who sells and imports a lot of nice stuff..
dynaudio looks nicccceeee!

thanks for the support!

Dynaudio BM6a I have, the 'old' model. Also got Behringer Truth's pretty ok for the money. It all depends on getting used to the monitors anyway.

Mackie HR series is also worth checkin' ..
> KRK RP 6/8 budget
< Dynaudio BM6a budget (the 624)

Erroraudio wrote:

Adam A7

I've notice there are very similar ones called P11A as well. What is the difference?

i own KRK RP6, quite good for the price!

i also use a classic but passive Yamaha Ns 10 M

Active monitors are on my short wishlist as well.
Does anybody have a comparison between Yamaha HS80s and HS50s? And how well do they perform against the KRKs?
I guess I'd better head off to the shop to listen myself but I also highly regard your opinions.

Personally, I think you might be better of with passive monitors and a decent amp that you match to your requirements, especially when you are on a budget. Manufacturers cut budget on a lot of stuff, and I have not a single doubt that matching and balancing the amps with the actual speakers and cabinet is part of these cuts. I reckon that in reality the budget active speakers aren't much more than powered speakers. They might perform well, but it isn't unlikely that they won't perform as well as a carefully selected set of passive speakers and amplifier.
Another benefit that I think is even more important is that with a passive set you can still upgrade the speakers when you feel like it, without loosing your beloved amp (or the other way round). For instance, I decided I want to go for an extra set of speakers for better reference. Nothing is stopping me from doing that, I get to keep my beloved amp and my beloved NS10's, and I don't need to spend a whole lot of money cause I'm already set up.
That's why I didn't go for active speakers in my recording studio. For the edit suite I couldn't care less, 90% of the audio gets treated by other studio's, so I could settle for some nice and easy monitoring speakers (or better said: preview speakers) like the KRK's. But if you're looking at a budget and might wanna upgrade in the future, active speakers might not be such a good choice.

has anyone tried GENELEC 8020APM !?!

Orgel!

how about Genelec?
http://www.genelec.com/news/114/52/Gene … SP-System/
big_smile

@brian: thats eaxctly the reason i still have passive speakers. plus, if something breaks, you still have the other component and don't loose both. youre much more flexible with a seperate amp and passive steakers that with everything in 1 box..

For a room with the measurements described, talking BM6a, it might be worth checking the BM5a's as well....

To listen is to learn

23 (edited by Victor Ramos 2009-07-28 10:46:22)

Brian and Rude,what passive set do you have?
im thinking about this set to my home

adam7 +

http://mundosonido.net/images/SUB%2010.jpg

or go to

http://www.thomann.de/es/yamaha_msp_7_studio.htm

I use Yamaha NS10's, connected to a Beomaster 8000 (which in essence is 2 x 150 watt mono blocks with a separate preamp). They've been a popular choice for 20 years and because so many people bought them there's been a lot of discussion about them. A lot of people are very passionate about them, but as many people hate them. I think that hate comes often (not always) with wrong placement and a poor amp, or maybe just hear-say... All I can say is that I get the sound that I like to get, and that's what it's all about I guess.

There has been a great story about the NS10's in Sound on Sound a while back that I found very interesting (but maybe that's only because it acknowledges my love big_smile):

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/sep08/a … hans10.htm

In the online articel there's also a link to a pdf covering a more indepth analysis.

The speaker went out of production some 10 years ago but if you ever decide you'd want a pair you can easily find them 2nd hand.