Topic: Audio Interfaces

So I may be in the market for an audio interface for my lappy.

But what to get?

I have firewire and USB, but there seems to be so many options

I have been looking at the MOTU ultralight, but have heard it can be a bit sketchy on PC.

I am just a novice so can't spend too much money.

Any ideas? Or at least any pointers in what I should be looking for?

Re: Audio Interfaces

first thing to check: firewire chipset on you lappy...
Also think about what you really need: audio ins outs, midi,  preamps etcetc...

http://www.proaudioeurope.com/assets/images/original/design/pages/digiblah/prismorpheus/instock.jpg > all

freakazoids, Robots, Please Report To The Dancefloor

is that supposed to be not too expensive? big_smile

I just got a novation nio. Will report more as I get to use it more. However I am cheapskate so I have crappy microphone and no outboard gear, just Pentium 3 laptop, microkorg and now Nio. So I can only speak as a bottom of the barrel user.

check as well the Echo Audio interfaces - I have a Layla3G and I am very satisfied with it.
Otherwise look at RME...

i have the ultralite for my mac and i never had a problem. i also have nothing but good stuff to say about it. don;t know anything about using it with a pc though.

I'd definitely look into a T.C. Electronics Konnekt 24D... also sports a pretty good DSP!

Like victor d says, it really depends on what you need, how many inputs and outputs etc..

Cos I'm a cheapskate, I just got an Audiofire4 for

speculator wrote:

i have the ultralite for my mac and i never had a problem. i also have nothing but good stuff to say about it. don;t know anything about using it with a pc though.

on my pc there's only a problem: some occasional glitches with myspace players, and I read somewhere this can happen with macs as well. Anyway, it's perfect with audio and midi apps (tested with games too and I had no problems)...but...my motherboard has a Texas Instruments firewire chipset built in, which is recommended (not only by Motu but Rme and Echo as well, Maudio too, but we don't care wink )

If I had to choose an audio interface without spending too much I'd go for an Echo Audiofire 4 too.

Quite happy with the Novation Nio so far ... there are some audio artifacts on the rare occasion (but not during recording... as far as I can tell) but I dunno whether this is a driver, interface or old computer issue. Started trying out MIDI control for my microkorg.

Anyhow, Question: when I plug the Nio in to USB, it doesn't register as a removable device on Win XP, the other day I unplugged it on the fly Is that ok? or will it damage it? Normally I wait until I power down the computer.

Marco Tulio Thrash wrote:

Quite happy with the Novation Nio so far ... there are some audio artifacts on the rare occasion (but not during recording... as far as I can tell) but I dunno whether this is a driver, interface or old computer issue.

It may be an old computer issue. Try adjusting the latency output in your software. That did the trick for me.

Do it your way, because everyone else is just weird.

Lappy has a TI firewire chipset so I'm veering towards the Echo Audiofire 4

I luvs my audiofires, got 2 of em.. A 8 and 12. Good spice!

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

15 (edited by r2dj 2008-07-21 01:18:56)

Schweeet!

Now i've gotta decide upon a midi controller

Those Echo cards look cool , im looking for new interface also and im leaning towards PreSonus Firebox pretty complete , good rep and awesome price for a unit like that : 24bit-96k / 6 Ins, 10 Outs, SPDIF, MIDI