Topic: High Rise the movie

Wow, just found out that they are making a movie of JG Ballard's High Rise, screenplay written & directed by Vincenzo Natali who did Cube. Cube was certainly a confronting film but the acting was pretty rubbish. What do you think?
http://www.caprifilms.com/images/titles/highrise/highrise-200.jpg

Music is a beautiful opiate, if you don't take it too seriously.

Re: High Rise the movie

We hired cube when on mushrooms and I totally freaked out and ran outside. Can't remember what it is about.

autistic superiority if i remember correctly. "the blue room, the blue room!"
trying to watch a movie on mushrooms is bound for failure, especially one about confined spaces neutral

i found cube entertaining enough. i wasn't convinced the sequel would be worth watching so i didn't.
i'd like to see high rise though.

Recently read that one, seemed to me he was just milking the same concepts from cocaine nights and super cannes rather lazily.

Think if a film of the book was to work at all really good actors would be paramount because its mainly about people developing sadistic tendencies out of boredom and a lack of meaningful human contact (the most interesting idea in the book i found anyway). That charachter shift is probably quite hard to portray convincingly and subtley because in the book anyway, it develops out of conventional but ultimately unrewarding and mindnumbing social interaction. And like you say, the acting in cube is rubbish (script too) and im not convinced his strengths are dialogue and the nuances of communication which is kind of important if you're making claustrophobic films. Then again, who knows where he'll take it but instinctively i reckon it'll be shite. Essay over.

Any other Ballard books made the big screen apart from Empire of the Sun and Crash? Which ones could be good?

Sham wrote:

Recently read that one, seemed to me he was just milking the same concepts from cocaine nights and super cannes rather lazily.

High Rise was written in 1975 and Cocaine Nights and Super Cannes in 1996 and 2000 so I think it's the other way round. But I guess he certainly has some recurring themes in his work.

Sham wrote:

Think if a film of the book was to work at all really good actors would be paramount because its mainly about people developing sadistic tendencies out of boredom and a lack of meaningful human contact (the most interesting idea in the book i found anyway).

I've been talking about this book lately as I'm reading it. I think I agree with my discussion partner that one of Ballard's main themes is the very thin veil between polite society and anarchy, in this case with the High Rise as a metaphor (of course Ballard's work has been very much influenced by his experiences in the war) I'm a bit worried they'll focus too much on the influence of the building itself and it will become a haunted house style movie.
There's a movie interpretation of Atrocity Exhibition released in 2000 by Jonathan Weiss. I haven't seen it yet, the acting got bad reviews but I was told that this worked as the characters in Atrocity Exhibition are pretty awkward anyway.

San wrote:

[High Rise was written in 1975 and Cocaine Nights and Super Cannes in 1996 and 2000 so I think it's the other way round. But I guess he certainly has some recurring themes in his work.

Haha, my mistake. Ill blame my misunderstanding on the copy i read, only date i saw on the inside was 2000 which must have been when it was republished not written.

Guess i was kind of dismissive of high rise because i like his writing so much and find his ideas really interesting, and that one didnt really do it for me or the charachters seem that well developed. I like the way he explores the same ideas in so many of his books and some work better than others inevitably. Some of his interviews are quite interesting though he seems pretty pissed in a few.

San wrote:

I've been talking about this book lately as I'm reading it. I think I agree with my discussion partner that one of Ballard's main themes is the very thin veil between polite society and anarchy, in this case with the High Rise as a metaphor (of course Ballard's work has been very much influenced by his experiences in the war) I'm a bit worried they'll focus too much on the influence of the building itself and it will become a haunted house style movie.
There's a movie interpretation of Atrocity Exhibition released in 2000 by Jonathan Weiss. I haven't seen it yet, the acting got bad reviews but I was told that this worked as the characters in Atrocity Exhibition are pretty awkward anyway.

Hey, this is great! I thought I'd show my snout after I noticed how Sander was advertising this forum on GD but I don't need to do a thing!

-Kas.

Zachary Bosch wrote:

Hey, this is great! I thought I'd show my snout after I noticed how Sander was advertising this forum on GD but I don't need to do a thing!

-Kas.

That's my discussion partner wink

ronin wrote:

trying to watch a movie on mushrooms is bound for failure

I remember Fantasia (on shrooms) on the big screen was a popular choice amongst my friends whilst at University.

that would be a safe choice seeing as you wouldn't have to rely on following the plot so much. just soak up the colours.
other interesting reactions might be memento or requiem...

The cover reminded me a little of Frank Lloyd Wright's 'Illinois'...
http://www.constructionweekonline.com/pictures/gallery/FrankLloydWrightDesigns2.jpg