Topic: FS: Roland SVC-350 vocoder

svc-350

2 (edited by ramos 2009-07-09 00:28:35)

Re: FS: Roland SVC-350 vocoder

i would sleep naked with an amorous donkey for that thing

Well at least we've got the price nailed down then. For $950 USD (well, plus shipping) you would sleep with an amorous donkey.

http://whipup.net/wp-content/images/2009/03/3629-donkey.jpg

More like a Donkey Hardey

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/3510/donkey8pw.jpg

wow, that's the price or more they go for nowadays? Maybe I should sell mine.. bought it for 300 eur a few years back

That is very expensive : ?  or is that the price these days? Overhere i thought it was 500 max or something

Been longing for the keyboard version of this gem forever (The VP-330) and recently stumbled across the new breed:

Roland VP-550 and VP-770 ... I have tested it and disliked the clean polished sound it has, compared with its legendary cousin that is, but with some analogish  plugs at its tail, its becoming an interesting alternative i must admit..... Havent bought one, but curious to figure if other Robots [Vocoder geeks] have had the same considerations....

To listen is to learn

Mike Salta wrote:

Been longing for the keyboard version of this gem forever (The VP-330) and recently stumbled across the new breed:

Roland VP-550 and VP-770 ... I have tested it and disliked the clean polished sound it has, compared with its legendary cousin that is, but with some analogish  plugs at its tail, its becoming an interesting alternative i must admit..... Havent bought one, but curious to figure if other Robots [Vocoder geeks] have had the same considerations....

Well i did consider, and then dropped it....new roland stuff is just digital, nothing more nothing less... I got a Varios +D50- emu card thats magnificient, but thtas because its a digital engine so thats ok, but analoque into a VP550/VP770 emu isnt just what I would need, its primairly for Gospel and Barbershop singing, for puristic robots there can only be analogue...(or a Glavia G2 hehe) bowoop shooby dooby boowappp...not my cuppa tea

I got a SVC350, really would love a VP330, but those are 1200-1500 here now...a few years ago 900 was considered a high price lol....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_sBi_ciNhk

It

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

sold for $950.  crazy times we're living in...

http://www.dailysciencedose.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/smoking-kid.jpg

Septicstudio wrote:

Well i did consider, and then dropped it....new roland stuff is just digital, nothing more nothing less... I got a Varios +D50- emu card thats magnificient, but thtas because its a digital engine so thats ok, but analoque into a VP550/VP770 emu isnt just what I would need, its primairly for Gospel and Barbershop singing, for puristic robots there can only be analogue...(or a Glavia G2 hehe) bowoop shooby dooby boowappp...not my cuppa tea

I got a SVC350, really would love a VP330, but those are 1200-1500 here now...a few years ago 900 was considered a high price lol....

I guess you are right, i just had a hard time realizing big_smile  ...To much of a comprise to go for the VP-550... Not worth trying to tweak or bend it into what one really wants when fact is its a gospel and barbershop tool.....

I have been hanging on to a Waldorf D-coder, using it as carrier and a VP-330 string kit for Kontakt or similar to get as much of the feeling as possible.... Unfortunately the D-Coder has been discontinued for ages and now time to put to rest... no longer reliable and a block for a needed Logic and PowerCore upgrade.....

To listen is to learn

The supposed enhancements on Roland's webpage for the VP-770 over the VP-550 seem fishy at best...

New patches...so what?

Significant improvement on the vocal designer...how?

High quality headset microphone...i'll use my own thanks.

Premium mic amps built in...who built them? what makes them premium?

High grade appearence with wood panels and metal chassis...sold, not.

I think about buying a 550 all the time. At least twice a week. I love choral music-robot or not. There's a coupla places on Ebay that sell reboxed ones that seem to sell them all the time for between $700 and $800 US. Used to be $650. Shoulda got one then.

Oh well. Maybe if I can sell my JX10/PG800 combo. Not really interested in selling anything else and I want another keyboard heading out if the 550 is coming in.

Squadra Smackos wrote:

Ah well I got the ZOOM 1201 for that shit too tongue

Does the TC Electronics have voices in it or is it just an effects unit?

Like a tweakable, vocal and choral synthesizer. That's kinda what I'm looking for.

If you want cheap analogue vocoding, I would say MAM VF1 ...or maybe a Korg DVP/1 ( but that  doesnt come close to a SVC350 either hehe)

the svc-350 is overrated imho.  i prefer the microkorg (or softsynth) for vocal processing.

Agree... for "barbershop and gospel stuff" or doubling and harmony/choir, the VP-550 might sound great, but expensive compared with similar.... Talking hw, a VoiceWorks Plus from TCH can do the same, and Harmony4 (Ported from VoicePro) the same when it comes to sw..... got the Harmony4 and often use it not just for vocal works, but also environments and textures... very creative with fx... but not for Vocoding.... TCH is lost when it comes to that.

One could hope Waldorf would start working with Vocoding again. The D-Coder is indeed on the right track when it comes to sw based vocoding imo. Unfortunately the Waldorf we know today is not the Waldorf that used to be, and the new folks dont have the rights to work with many of the old patents...

@ Squadra..... did a comparison of the Vocal Designer in VP-770 and the VP-550 and there is a significant difference, but if its worth the price... not for me. I guess it depends very much on the purpose its being bought for.... I would imagine the sing-a-long dude will love the enhanced Vocal designer....  The new Brass presets though are a step in the right direction when it comes to the Vocoder value, but not really an argument to buy..... Use it as carrier and work with cheap Vp-330 samples to get a better result than these is still easy.... rest of the "new stuff" is just shoeshine and expansions you can grow for the 550 as well with the right tweaks...

To listen is to learn

21 (edited by Septicstudio 2009-07-25 08:29:40)

malleus maleficarum wrote:

If you want cheap analogue vocoding, I would say MAM VF1 ...or maybe a Korg DVP/1 ( but that  doesnt come close to a SVC350 either hehe)

the svc-350 is overrated imho.  i prefer the microkorg (or softsynth) for vocal processing.

If you like flat sounds, sure tongue

Except the Clavia G2 I havent heard one good SW vocoder ~(for robots) When you hear a real SVC350 "in the wild" in your studio its a whole other league than SW vocoding etc...this SVC350 rattles and its really an alive sound...Sure you wont get 300 LFOs 20 Adsr 500 mod source/dest paths, 8 band multiband compression etc like in SW, but this is just good right out of the box tongue, less is more. It doesnt need 3 stacks of postprocessing gear orso either.

The SVC350 is next to the 606/808 and a PG1000 the only vintage gear I got ....and I am not a SW fiend or HW aristocrat, I use SW aswell when its better or handier than HW.

But still in 2009 HW is the way to go (for me ) for vocoding and drums....your average mod efx and dynamics can be done in SW very good these days... but not all.

But each its own taste ofc...

But I must say that the new 10 year aniuversary edition of Orange VOcoder was a good exception + the Creamware/Soniccore/Use-Audio Vocodizer thats the one in SW thats really awesome, I loved that on my Scope system...very flexible and you can set it up like a Korg VC10 or a EMS1/2/300 and so.

http://www.cwaudio.de/images/vocodizer-big.jpg

This was the one I used before the SVC350 and its damn hotttt!

EDIT:

But sure a freaking 950$ is way too much ofc hehe....500 is more a realistic price....a DVP/1 is around 250.
BTW Clint Mansels Requiem for a dream Soundtrack for the movie was done partly with the internal carrierwaves of the DVP/1 by Korg hehe...so nice...

Hijacking the tread here, but speaking of vocoding and voice processing, what kind of vocoder or setting makes this effect?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPc1MZWCCv4[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcdtm-MRwCk[/youtube]

23 (edited by Septicstudio 2009-07-28 19:28:18)

LFO over a pitched up/down voice with a pitchshifter

A Yamaha REX 50 can do that or a Boss super pitch delay shifter or whatever those things are called

25 (edited by Netrom 2009-07-29 09:05:46)

Ah, a pitchshifter... hadn't thought of that.
I wondered if it was maybe a two-band vocoder if something like that exists..don't really know so much about it.
So the LFO is doing the very fast vibration?

Will experiment with my rex-50 tonight.

Pages 1

You must login or register to post a reply

Robots for Robots → General Hardware / Software Discussion → FS: Roland SVC-350 vocoder

Currently used extensions: pun_approval, pun_admin_add_user. Copyright © 2009 PunBB