1 (edited by Kenzaburo 2009-03-25 17:39:38)

Topic: Japanese RPGs

Is anybody enjoying here playing Japanese RPG's like Square Enix games etc? At the moment I'm playing Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy IV on the Nintendo DS, both awesome! Can't wait to check the new Avalon Code on the DS too.

Re: Japanese RPGs

final fantasy 4, chrono trigger two of the best games or rpg's ever.

i am a total sucker for those cutesy graphics, aswell as sprawling gameplay. recent ones i played were a let down though. FF12 was fun but got boring quick, music and characters are whack. DS has some great things but mine has broke down. like the mana series, always liked that and the graphics are really sweet.
interested for tips though because i dont have time to go through them all anymore

Final Fantasy VII is one of the first games I played on the PC and still is one of my all-time favorites, although I never finished it. yikes I played FF VIII as well but I didnt like the style very much...
Grandia 2 and Alundra 2 are pretty nice too.

I recently bought "Eternal Sonata" for the xbox 360...its veeery cheesy but the fights are fun.

haven't played games for awhile... i recently had a play with a friends i think DS. Fullmetal Alchemist. if your familiar with the anime. seemed to be pretty good. also there's bleach (i think based on the anime) though i've not checked it yet.

http://www.mattamation.com
miami bass, ghettotech & electro

Mattamation, Yeah, those are not exactly RPG's though they might have some elements similar (just checked the reviews, haven't actually played them).

I guess you either hate or like these games, they are pretty innocent compared to some more 'adult' titles with lots of blood, gore and such things. Anyway, I think the themes in these games are pretty serious and deep. The stories are most of the time very fascinating. Final Fantasy VII was really good, the ending was epic smile These games can get sometimes a bit tedious with leveling up characters etc so it takes some patience.

Btw. I enjoy the Pokemon series of games too smile Just got the new Pokemon Platinum

chrono trigger and ff 6-8 = the shit.
I think you should check out "tales of phantasia" too if you're into these rpgs.

But I kinda stopped playing these rpgs, because they're mostly incredible long, therefore suck a lot of time and have a high "nerdage"-factor.

earthbound for snes

I started playing Chrono Trigger on DS but got really annoyed that the controls were not updated for DS. I might give it another try, I died without saving and havn't played it since then, but I hear its worth it
any other recommendations?

I was so close // I crept like a cat // visions of seduction lurkin under my hat
Zerohour Doom & Glamour | RETALI8Cold Crush

Jackie Ransom, Luster & Beta Evers - Secrets Of The World out now on 7"/Digital

Yeah, it's definitely worth it ... I'm just now at the end, just the last monster to beat smile Did all the side-quests too. For ds great rpg's are: Final Fantasy IV, Avalon Code, The World Ends With You (this is really great and different Square/Enix RPG), Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride, Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates ... That should keep one plenty busy smile

Anybody check out Crisis Core yet? I think it's for the PSP but it's supposed to be the "Prequel" to the ever-so-famous (and my personal all time fav game besides FF2) Final Fantasy 7. I've heard some not so good things about it but i don't have a PSP and can't try it out for myself yet. I haven't played games in so long that I hadn't even heard about the game until just recently and i think it's been out for a while. While I was checking out reviews on Crisis Core i thought i would do some more research and I've found that my other favorite game Final Fantasy 2 (IV in the states) will be coming out with a sequel on the Nintendo Wii. I'm interested in both games but don't have a Wii or a PSP and don't know if either of them are even worth getting just for these games? Hm....

i think 4 or 2 for you, is out on another platform, maybe it was DS?...
none of the stuff that's related to ff7 is any good, maybe because 7 is a near masterpiece, and these new ones are just trying to exploit that. Like the film too

13 (edited by cloud9 2009-06-23 07:43:45)

Yeah IV (US), II (Japanese) was released on DS and was mentioned above by Kenzaburo i believe. It was a re-make and a very well done re-make from what i've heard (a new remixed soundtrack by nobuo uematsu + new 3D graphix). I didn't buy it because i've got the original but i think it's a good way for some to experience that great game. But this new sequel to IV is going to be coming out according to several website articles. http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/02/final-fantasy-i/ .

I definitely agree with you in that they've been trying to exploit their masterpiece for ages even with that first Final Fantasy movie, something about spirits? that was absolutely horrible, i almost cried during that movie it was so bad. Unfortunately i'll probably be suckered into checking out this sequel to IV in one way or another just cause i love that game. I really would like them to be coming out with XIII though and see if they can't make a NEW masterpiece.

oh sorry cloud(hehe) i missed you said it was a sequel, im up too early. hope that is nice
and i am pretty sure xiii is on its way.
did you like xii? to be honest a lot of people said it sucked, but i liked it. especially the battle system, with the gambits and that. the world it was set in was nice too. One thing i wish they would fix is the music though.
Bring back Nobuo Uematsu!

Hehe, that's ok i'm up too late right now. I thought XII was alright especially after the catastrophic XI! Bringing back Nobuo is a must, he's as much a part of Final Fantasy as anyone/thing. We'll have to see what's up with XIII..I'll have to do some research and see when it's coming out or what's going on with it at the moment, but that'll have to be in the morning!

i cant wait for the us dragon quest 9 release, it looks amazing for ds