26 (edited by Communicator 2008-07-15 17:46:33)

Re: a question about mixing

I've found that if the tempos can be matched but you need to do some pretty drastic pitching (+/- speed) to one of the records I do it on every fourth beat a bit: 1-2-3-4-shift, 1-2-3-4-shift, 1-2-3-4-shift, until you're at a good speed to mix the two.

The tempo change is not as obvious that way as opposed to a continuous pitch shift.

Do it your way, because everyone else is just weird.

C) I beat match only some songs (same bpm) and some not.

freakazoids, Robots, Please Report To The Dancefloor

yeah i do what communicator says above, only i find that there is a slight lag when you adjust the pitch, so if i am feeling impatient i sometimes give the platters a push with finger (makes the mixing of the overall set a bit rough but for me this is ok cus i am not capable of doing surgically clean mixes anyways)

for italo i find that you have less room for pitch, especially speeding up, it sounds wack if you pitch adjust too much...

other than that i find it helpful to cheat abit using bpm counters, you can just peek at it get ballpark bpm, and decide if the difference is too much to pull it off.

in fact i still bpm check the 1st record of every set to put my u-boat in the right bearings.

5, 3, 6 or 100 platenspelers, fuck it!

yes, if you have a bpm counter, I have a prehistoric mixer, it's called american dj, imagine yourself. hey, ten euros at the flea market, what do you pretend. So once I put myself there counting the bpm of some records, after 10 I stopped...

Just cue your record while the other is playing, if the BPMs are unmatchable move on to another selection.

Or get SSL (everyone has it now)

what's SSL?

I'm assuming Larry's talking about Solid State Logic mixing desks.

One of the best regarded and sought-after in high end-mixing desks. They have people chasing the sound of their components and desks so have now built digital units that emulate that character of sound.

what does he mean "everybody has them now", it looks like it costs a million bucks

He's being sarcastic. Probably in reference to how easy it is to "dj" nowadays since technology can turn you into a DJ without having real skills or a good ear.

larry levan = cebteq

probably regarding my super cheap mixer... I'm still looking for a cheaper one, one that has no knobs...

i used to have an american dj mixer too. ok mixer to learn with. i don't get these people who buy super expensive mixers  to become djs and then get bored after one month because they don't learn how to mix.

39 (edited by most complicated robot 2008-07-22 09:26:56)

it's a fantastic mixer. fuck pioneer.

sound quality is important, and yeah anybody who get stupid with the effects should have their fingers boiled

http://www.google.com/search?q=ssl+djing

http://www.serato.com/

The +/- 8% is already something drastic imo..
I usually try not to pitch more/less than 5%.. Above or beyond the track becomes altered for sure..
The clue is probably an arsenal of various techniques depending on the tracks/style involved..a good knowledge of the tracks to be played and their different parts..and of course an own personalised selection..
But the main thing is a space, where one let u tell YOUR story without the exclusive "floor pressure" I guess wink

hi nrg style eh?

yes aratkilo, it should be just fun.

And about quality, I stick to an old speculator statement, as long as it doesnt skip and I can sing along everything goes.

bias wrote:

oh noes! track become altered!
that's the whole point of mixing
i play alden tyrell - hills of honolulu at +15% and it sounds great

Only goa trance allows that lol

Inspired by Ron Hardy I exercise the "as long as it pumps it's cool" method I have been known to pitch an old Disco track more than +8 and boost the bass a little, and it won't be the last! big_smile

http://www.cbs.nu/forum/viewtopic.php?p … 65#p413565

For me d) works most fine.

ITALOMASTER  /  www.discotrax.de

Pack my case
Leave behind this human race