Topic: linux

so i recently got a little asus eee pc. i'd ordered one with xp however the dozy nitwits sent me one with linux, although its the model above so i'm not complaining.

anyway, its interesting playing around with the linux progs and command line terminal etc. 

has anyone on here been using any linux machines for music.  over the weekend i played a little bit with puredata, audacity and mixxx.  puredata seems interesting but i dont know if i've really got the time to spend learning a whole programming language.  i'm pretty familiar with reaktor but i think ideally i'd like something like the nord modular editor that makes sound. i've got that demo on windows, i should maybe try it to see if it runs under wine. just something simple but fun.

anyway, am i wasting time messing with linux or are there any good (+fun+reliable) music programs i should check?

Re: linux

ableton and energyxt2 run on linux with wine, along with all the vst plugins. how well you will be able to run it depends mostly on how your soundcard drivers play along with jack.

Monkey see, monkey do.

There are several tools and distros based on linux available especially created for making music.
For instance http://lau.linuxaudio.org/

also reaper run nicely under wine. www.reaper.fm .