Topic: Alpha Juno-Tech question

just obtained an alpha juno and there seems to be a problem.
Every sixth note doesn't sound. The keys itself work fine, i can hear the chorus coming through but the voice doesn't sound. Strangely when i turn the portamento on, the problem disappears. I can overcome this problem by turning the portamento on and setting the effect to 0, but ofcourse i want it to work properly. Anybody have an idea?
Thanks!

Re: Alpha Juno-Tech question

is the polyfony 6 when portamento is on?

3 (edited by Tom Dee 2009-08-23 19:45:16)

found that even in portamento mode the sixth voice doesn't sound (when playing all voices at once, when i play a scale it works fine). So probably the portamento does something with the voice allocation 'solving' the problem. Broken vca probably? fug it, i'll never play six note chords anyway...:)

edit: no the polyfony isn't 6 with the portamento on, didn't check that until now

sounds like a broken voice chip to me. the portamento effect just seems to allocate the use of the voices differently than normal play it seems.

yup, well at least with that trick it's useable. I don't think i'll bother repairing it. There's no test mode as in a 106 to see which voice is broken and i've had no luck in finding a service manual or schematics.  Thanks for looking crc!

are the chips socketed? if so, try swapping them around. it may just be a cold solder joint..

no ics are not in socket

its probably vcf-vca IC IR305

so get soldering iron and start
BTW
try test mode
its easier than desoldering all ics hehheheh

just kidding mate

try here mks 50 manual is close to juno
http://www.analoghell.com/studio/index. … e=download

cant find alpha juno service manual sorry

http://www.syntheticarts-studio.com

Brain is CV controlled device!!!!!! so we all are analog sequenced machines!!!! " ROBOTS "

I never heard of that problem with the alpha juno...maybe it wants to be a 106 haha

I was so close // I crept like a cat // visions of seduction lurkin under my hat
Zerohour Doom & Glamour | RETALI8Cold Crush

Jackie Ransom, Luster & Beta Evers - Secrets Of The World out now on 7"/Digital

thanks all for your input. I've got a 106 that never gave me any problems and now this one starts acting up. Synths these days...a firm hand back in the eighties would've stopped all those problems wink

I cringe to think what will happen to all the synths made in 90s-00s in 20 years. I bet 1 out of every 10 microkorgs made will just disintegrate.