1 (edited by Mule Driver 2009-09-01 11:15:48)

Topic: Florence, Italy

what's going on there?
any nice clubs? bars?
good music?

is any robot is from florence?

Re: Florence, Italy

nothing? that what i fear of....

I was in Florence few years ago because of a school trip...I only discovered shitty clubs but the town is really beautiful and worth a visit even if theres no good music around.

yup second that.
firenze is wonderful for museums, for hiking in countryside just few kms away etc but definitely sucks for clubs & bars.
don't even try pisa,it sucks even more hehe

hmm.. sounds like a nice place to visit but not for a long stay.

its one of the most beautiful cities in the world, see how long you think you could stay after you get there.
also best ice cream i ever had was florentine
no need to be cynical about a trip to florence MD its amazing.
Don't know about clubs, it's a long time since I went, but tons of nice little bars in side alleys etc

thanks
my girl moved over there.
i'll be visiting her and wanted to know if it possible to play somewhere
or any nice places to hung out, since she's going to be busy with her studies.

"best ice cream i ever had"
nice, i like ice cream. lekker.

8 (edited by alex_d_steak 2009-09-24 11:46:33)

#Mule
I'm born in Florence and lived there up to 2003, when I moved to my wife's town (Genova). So that makes it 26 years in that dead town.

Pros of Flo:
1) If you are into classic art, historic architecture and the like, the only possible competitor to Florence is Rome.
2) If you like good food, Florence and Tuscany are IMHO the best places where to get the best steaks (if you are not vegetarian, that is)
3) if you like the Tuscany countryside (usually named Chiantishire), is the perfect place to live.

Cons of Flo:
1) nowadays it is just a tourist attraction, so unless you *own* some touristic related business forget about finding good jobs there, whichever degree you have
2) the people from Florence are generally posers, so they value their car, their mobile, their $h1t more than a good and solid friendship - not all of them, but you will find plenty of them
3) Every club you will go plays 99% only commercial music. Stop. There is a "cartel" of club owners in Florence, since the 70s. Maybe, if you are lucky, you can try to see if they still organize some 80s "revival" parties at the Central Park, near the Cascine Park. But expect to hear the most common stuff, even if Italo Disco was mainly conceived in Italy, it was not as widespread as abroad.
4) The weather can be problematic if you have respiratory difficulties like I do (even light asthma). Florence is in the Arno valley, in the middle of two hills. Only a couple of time per year the wind goes through the valley, for the rest it just "bounces" from hill to hill, so the air is always tick, both in winter and in summer.
5) Public transportation sucks bigtime. They are now installing a tram line (again, because they removed it around 50 years ago), but it will take years and so far is not working so well.

And then I stop here because I think I have spoiled it already enough... Sometimes I feel sorry about what I think of my hometown, but I am just really missing the friends and the relatives... thanks to the Internet I don't really miss them anyways smile

But if you want some more information, feel free to ask.. I still have some friends that try to organize from time to time some independent parties (although they are more on some sort of underground techno/rave style), so maybe
you want to check out what they do...

A.

thanks alex

i supposed to be there next week but because of "argent" design job i delayed the flight
sounds like few days will be ok but i can't see myself moving over (we'll have to figure out what we gonna do about it)
how far is it from Genova?

in Florance now.
it is nice here yet very touristic.
great food indeed...

going to NL on the 21...

interesting...i had actually heard food in florence wasn't that good. i'll be visiting in late may. i suppose ill find out for myself.

i guess my standards are not that high smile

hah, well i think i heard that from some college student so it probably doesnt have as much merit as you think. smile

the food was amazing when i went, but that was many years ago now smile

don't expect any good music or record shop...
remember there are more things in life such as classic art and romance  tongue

bump
sup with the town now a days anybody got some protips?

vintage future