Re: What new booty have you acquired?

big spender time... So cute always wanted a drum pad but i got both for 230$au.
http://mos.musicradar.com/images/Computer%20Music/Issue%20134/Nano/korg-nanokey-460-80.jpg
http://www.production-room.com/gfx/products/large/korg-nanopad---1_copy1.jpg

Notes: Special Sequence Mixed For Dancing

that's pretty fucken cheap, especially for Aus, where gear is usually stupid expensive (must be because it needs special calibration for Southern Hemisphere operation)

Casio CZ-101. Very fun.

would like to try a cz101 2 bad its so expensive last years
250 is way to much for an casio synth i think

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?

CZ101 is the most popular and expensive one. Always has been, dunno why. If you have more space, you could easily get a different one for 150.

wasubot wrote:

big spender time... So cute always wanted a drum pad but i got both for 230$au.
http://mos.musicradar.com/images/Comput … 460-80.jpg
http://www.production-room.com/gfx/prod … _copy1.jpg

guys check this out, this is something similar from akai, but this thing got an arpeggiator inside thats realy rocksolid, i have the big one MPK49, and its realy fucking tight in conjunction with Logic9, and you can change timing resolution in realtime with some shift + keypress on this little one...

Best thing. only 48 EU
http://images6.thomann.de/pics/bdb/235491/1826488_800.jpg

http://images6.thomann.de/pics/bdb/235492/1826493_800.jpg

Ive been looking at that LPK25 for months, does anybody know how the action is on it? .. I got a nanokeys but might just give it away to some poor geto child if the akai delivers.

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

well while looking at the nanokey with its weird keys, I think the akai will be always better, but I dont know that for sure, I do know that the build Q of the MPK series is rather solid and it suprised me how sturdy it is.

I suppose its the same keys in the akai as there are used in the microkorg series, there arent that much keyboardfactories around these days( about 3 are left)

1,734 (edited by plikestechno 2009-10-21 23:41:47)

Holy fuck the 808 got here today and it is truly beyond words. It's so archetypal. And now it's so in my basement. So wonderful to touch and play around with. I only took 15 minutes with it as I'm on baby shift but everything works and sounds perfect just like the guy said. Best 1100 bucks I've spent in my whole life. It's so hard to describe how it just feels so amazing how it does kill any samples I've ever heard. You hear it on records but it's even better in real life. So much better. People have all these discusssions and maybe for young kids having a real 808 or a real 101 doesn't matter at the end of the day but I'm 35, grew up with the 80s and having these things is very important because the software and samples just don't sound the same. I have softsynths for other reasons but not to pretend they're 808s or Minimoogs.

MAM ADX1 is really cool too. Very intriguing. It wants to be a Syncussion but while it has way less balls, it's just as inspirationally weird and it has way more possibilities. Love all the mod and FM.

Sh-101 amazing, ADX1 awesome, 808 indescribable, 202 good to have you back. And a M1REX with Orchestra cards for $130 shipped came also today but needs new battery. Times are good. So glad I got rid of the other things.

Cool man, congratulations!

Not very new but finally hooked up my Technics KN400 keyboard to the rest of the gear. It has some nice sounds and a good (but to short, only 2 bar) sequencer. But with the mini kaos pad between it and the mixer it really has some good sounds! (and the mixer is finally working ok, so for now the setup looks quite complete smile)

Holy shit plikes, that's a lot of new gear to get at the same time, sadly all of it overshadowed by the majestic 808!
I got mine last march and had the same reaction!

Just got this today, a nice tool to have, but I'm getting a Dtronics usb midi-cv thing in the mail soon.
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn225/LCTRX08/IMG_3372.jpg

I have this on loan, great sound, I think I want one now!
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn225/LCTRX08/IMG_3373.jpg

And I got this last weekend, great sound, but a I need to calibrate it better, it jams once in a while.  I'll probably sell the Korg SE-500 :
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn225/LCTRX08/IMG_3375.jpg

I also sold my Ms-20 and Polysix last week, won't miss them, for the money I got anyways.

So you like the Space Echo better than the Korg? What are the biggest differences?

TONY COPS wrote:

Holy shit plikes, that's a lot of new gear to get at the same time, sadly all of it overshadowed by the majestic 808!

The thing that really blew me away was how pure the sounds were. So massive, such snap!

plikestechno wrote:

So you like the Space Echo better than the Korg? What are the biggest differences?

They sound different, the SE-500 is more high-end I'd say, more high frequencies and less mud, but the lofiness of the re-101 is maybe a bit more interesting.  they would probably complement each other well but I don't need the luxury of owning both.

The Re-101, unless I'm mistaking, has no echo-only output, there's always a little input  mixed in, this creates a little delay when used as a send on my soundcard, I remember reading about a mod for that.

plikestechno wrote:

ADX1 awesome,

Grats on your sweet purchases.

I have a love hate relationship with my ADX1 as at times i wish it was an 808 especially when the inconsistant kick give me grief.  In reality it's only the kick and cowbell i miss from the 808. Snare and hihats are pretty sweet on adx.

But everytime i put it in use i find a great things. Interestingly enough with the nanopad has breathed new life into it. Having some nice pads to use with ableton for sequencing the adx has made me realize what a unique instrument it is. My gf loves cowbells and that synth part does pretty damn nice cowbells.

Oh yeh big tip is that I've placed little circular stickers on the ADX around the knobs and marked on it in pen where the good settings are. Some knobs have a few settings and some none but it's important because its tricky to get the nice sounds due to the huge and probably wrong range of some settings. I also stuck a tag on there with midi note numbers smile. Yeh it's really not an instant gratification kind of machine but for complexity and range of drum sounds there is not much that will touch it.

Next stop MFB522. That will be the end of drum machine collections I hope.

Notes: Special Sequence Mixed For Dancing

I sequence the ADX-1 using the ext. inst channel on the 909.   
When we played live a few months ago, we took 808, 909 and ADX-1 for all our drum needs.
The bass/kick on the ADX-1 is pretty weak but can make an alright lo tom.

Got a pretty banged up MS2000 rack for $200. Now to sell the microkorg.

plikestechno wrote:
TONY COPS wrote:

The thing that really blew me away was how pure the sounds were. So massive, such snap!

Same here.  The 808 is the only bit of kit that has blown me away in years.  The 808 sounds and feels like nothing else.

@No-fi How much did you pay for the msq-700.
And what price range should one expect. + does it convert midi to DCB?

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

A license for reaper.

I've been playing with it a bit over the last month and a bit. I'm still not a total expert on it, but I really like a lot of things about it, and after the other night when I had it syncing my ASQ-10 via a soundcard audio out, I think I will be using it and ableton live in the future.

Erroraudio wrote:

@No-fi How much did you pay for the msq-700.
And what price range should one expect. + does it convert midi to DCB?

I paid AU$150. I've seen them cheaper, but not for a while. no idea what you'd pay anywhere else - Australia has interesting gear prices (roland stuff tends to be cheap and relatively available here)

I don't think it converts MIDI to DCB, there's a switch to tell it to use the MIDI bus or the DCB bus, but not both. I guess it could still possibly output data on both busses - input from both would be the real problem needing the switch, I guess.  but I have no DCB gear to test.

Not exactly new gear, i just managed to fix my Vocoder EM-26.. very proud because i did it myself (despite experience showing that stuff i try to fix often ends up as spare parts in a cardboard box smile

no tech in the area wanted to even look inside :
"Dude, this Russian stuff is crap we cannot fix it.. "

even though i brought them the schematics in Russian:
"dude these components are impossible to obtain" (My ass)

it wasn't that serious, it got damaged during hazardous shipping from Ukrainia.. power supply board was moving inside & got bent, a solder point was broken around the transformer..  in had to solder a wire to bypass it & add little rubbers underneath to secure it

so i'm quite happy to have a working Vokoderrr & also to have saved a lot of money doing it myself as i wonder how much a tech would have taken to have this done.. and how long it would have taken them to make it a bigger problem and maybe take more money)

olivier8 wrote:

so i'm quite happy to have a working Vokoderrr & also to have saved a lot of money doing it myself as i wonder how much a tech would have taken to have this done.. and how long it would have taken them to make it a bigger problem and maybe take more money)

Yeah.. Exellent work big_smile Post audio samples !!

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn225/LCTRX08/memoryman.jpg

Just got this for 100$ CAD, sounds good, does anybody know when they came out with particular version of the memory man?