Re: Ever buy something you wanted forever then you didn't like it so much?

dsi evolver desktop.  Reading about it it sounds so good with sequencers/mod sources etc. but I just can't get into it. i'm not against the matrix editing (i think microkorg is easy to program) but it never seems to produce inspirational sounds for me.  always seems a bit aggressive and sharp sounding. (even when i have the distortion off!)
wish i'd got a nord modular

TONY COPS wrote:

I like this thread, It's like VSE for smart people smile

I was thinking that last night too. And not just this thread but a lot of gear threads. I've learned a lot at r4r.

And I'd also throw in that it's like VSE for musical people. A lot of people here are using their stuff to actually make music and make a living. They're not just putting it on a shelf and saying "Look at me."

I've been collecting records for 25 years but I'm a complete noob when it comes to synths and production so it is always nice to see actual helpful information here. I have ideas in my head that I want to get out and this forum will help me eventually do that more than others.

Would you see the Kawai K1 celebrated on VSE as much as you see here? No way. That's what this forum is about.

plikestechno wrote:
TONY COPS wrote:

I like this thread, It's like VSE for smart people smile

I was thinking that last night too. And not just this thread but a lot of gear threads. I've learned a lot at r4r.

And I'd also throw in that it's like VSE for musical people. A lot of people here are using their stuff to actually make music and make a living. They're not just putting it on a shelf and saying "Look at me."

I've been collecting records for 25 years but I'm a complete noob when it comes to synths and production so it is always nice to see actual helpful information here. I have ideas in my head that I want to get out and this forum will help me eventually do that more than others.

Would you see the Kawai K1 celebrated on VSE as much as you see here? No way. That's what this forum is about.

Precisely.

There was a time when I thought I needed "the best", which in my mind (and many others I've found) equated to the "thickest" and "most powerful". Because of forums like the CBS and R4R I've come to appreciate CHARACTER a lot more...In records and in synths.

Yes! This place is easily one of, if not THE best synth-related forums I've come across.  Great thread too.

55 (edited by alex_d_steak 2009-08-27 21:35:34)

... I go a little on the software side, I moved my tracking to the MV8800 and realtime playing, which for me is much
more effective than using cubase, so I am only using it to record multitrack audio.
But if I should ever step back to midi sequencing (done on a computer, I mean), I would like to get back to an
AtariST and the old cubase. I NEVER (and I say NEVER) any issue in midi timing with that thing.
I am always cursing instead the MTPav (non USB) on my pc....

a.

unicity wrote:

Yes! This place is easily one of, if not THE best synth-related forums I've come across.  Great thread too.

I gotta show some love too, we are a small bunch of people with no rotten apples, plus as P was saying music-making is always the ultimate goal, even though we are obviously synth geeks too.
I also really like the fact that members are from all over the galaxy, while most other gear forums always seem a little US-centric, no offense to fellow american members of course!  In fact I really like the dutch-centricity of this place!

It could stand to be a little more dutch. I don't see the letter "Z" here as often as it is used in Dutch life from what I saw when I was in the Netherlands a couple of years ago.

Im surprised none of you have said rollerblades

I used to sell Rollerblades even though I never owned a pair.

lucrative business there wink

i liked rollerblading.

cool
wink

62 (edited by Septicstudio 2009-08-28 08:07:17)

i liked switchblading more...

but why are we gonna get offtopic for 1 lousy addition about rollerblades (???) here hehe.

Siel EX80, DK80 very cheap italian synths, sold em because I dont want to much synths around here, but those things are really great, talking about character...6 voice DCO 1 VCF shared over the 6voices, cheap , lame, lowbudget, grainy, and laggy envelopes...Still a verynice thing...this is regret that they are gone...It s got that Legowelt sound over it a bit somehow...Did you have one Smack?

And you can make genuine italo with it hehe

No Orgue has that one it doesn't work anymore I think, we used to use that thing all the time in the 90s. His Eye that never sleeps is all Siel DK80.

I've had a juno 106 which I loved but after a while got bored with the sound character.

Also had a korg dw 8000, which bored me after a couple of months..

I bought another hybrid synth the ensoniq sq80, this one sounds superb and can do "everything" tons of lfo's asignable to everywhere 4 env, sync, AM modulation

Listen to SEER Radio every Sunday at 21.00 hrs on The Dream Machine, previous SEER Radio shows

Here the Pro One had a very short life span..I was after one for months but when arrived I just couldn't stand those envelopes and its tone totally lacking the vibe I like, sold after 2 months totally disappointed.. considering I got my beloved SP1200 with that money in the end I was much more satisfied smile

lowlow wrote:

Here the Pro One had a very short life span..I was after one for months but when arrived I just couldn't stand those envelopes and its tone totally lacking the vibe I like, sold after 2 months totally disappointed.. considering I got my beloved SP1200 with that money in the end I was much more satisfied smile

Wow thats a major not my thing.. Having never had one under my paws, I cant say. But it was totally one of the synths I wanted but never came my way.

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

Someone mentioned the VZ8m, i still have mine in the rack. it's hard to edit on a 2 line display, but there are some decent patches on the net for it, and somehow it sounds hyper-digital, and I like collecting odd-ball synthesizers (this is "Phase Distortion")

I once also had a Korg 707, only cos Juan Atkins used one. I thought that one was not so good. Realised then to not buy gear just because someone used it on a particular track. It does not make your stuff sound like that track

focusrite red 7 ( still have it but aaaaaahhh)

SSL alpha link * still have it soon on sale

EMT delay

logic 8 ...back to logic 6

akai s3000 xl

jv 2080

http://www.syntheticarts-studio.com

Brain is CV controlled device!!!!!! so we all are analog sequenced machines!!!! " ROBOTS "

jomox airbase

kawai k5000s

electro harmonix big muff (russian version)

mc303. although i still have it.

back in the mid 90s i worked all summer to save and get it.   to think i passed up on a juno-60 and small cheetah sampler for the 303!
I think it was good for about 2 weeks before i started to realise it was going to get limited quickly.  however I really liked it for its sequencer and once i got a sampler it was a great combo.
can't seem to get rid of it. it sits in the corner but it's come in handy for running a 2nd sequencer and it's pretty well built so i used it live a few times before i got an mpc. I guess i could sell it but would'nt get much these days
some of the sounds are horrendous though and its funny to hear it crop up in records.

Septicstudio wrote:

i liked switchblading more...

but why are we gonna get offtopic for 1 lousy addition about rollerblades (???) here hehe.

Siel EX80, DK80 very cheap italian synths, sold em because I dont want to much synths around here, but those things are really great, talking about character...6 voice DCO 1 VCF shared over the 6voices, cheap , lame, lowbudget, grainy, and laggy envelopes...Still a verynice thing...this is regret that they are gone...It s got that Legowelt sound over it a bit somehow...Did you have one Smack?

And you can make genuine italo with it hehe

Yes, I got an expander80 for cheap and it's actually a lot of fun. Not in the least because all parameters are midi controllable (through a Behringer BCR in my case). Definitely not the fatest lead or bassline machine, but still great.

Back on topic: I expected a lot from the analog muscle of a Simmons SDS200 drum module, but it never delivered. Yes, it does 'that' Simmons sound, it can also doe the ubiquous disco drum. But the enveloppes aren't snappy enough to do a great kick of a snappy snare. Still got it though, and use it every now and then...

AKA Jujumen...

yeah those simmons are very plastic sounding....IMO

only the discrete ones are really good like the sds3 and so.

I had a SDS800 and I didnt like it, a vermona drm has more edge it, and more soundspectre aswell
And next to my DSM200 it was a laugh hehe. Not to mention the Syncussion. big_smile

Sure with some baddass compressor/limiter eq over it it will work, but then your better off (and cheaper) with other stuff

Roland JX-8P. Got it, got the PG controller for it etc... and never got around to squeeze anything interesting from it. So jealous of people who can. Had to get rid of it, and then came the Polysix....

DSI evolver desktop, too difficult to edit - just in the process of selling it.

Sequential Circuits Pro-one.  Very poor build quality, the switches and the pots felt cheap and the keyboard was terrible.

Jomox XBase 999.  Very glitchy O/S.  Good kicks but the other sounds never seemed to sit in the mix properly.  Sold it and bought the Vermona DRM MK2 which lacks the sequencer but sounds a lot better.

Focusrite Platinum Compounder.  I reallty don't know how to use compressors and I've spent ages reading articles on the web and in magazines but I still can't seem to make them do anything other than muddy the sound.  I spend ages trying to get it sounding it good on kicks and then when I do an A/B I prefer the un-compressed sound.  I'm keeping it until I make the evloutionary jump required to understand compression.

compression is easy to understand.  say you're throwing a loud party (thats your signal level).. at a certain volume your neighbors get pissed off and call the cops on you (threshold).  it takes a certain amount of time for the cops to respond and show up (attack time).  they tell you to turn the music down by some amount (ratio) and then they linger around before they go away (release) and you can turn it back up again