Re: If you want to tell someone "this is Italo"...

sounds_echoed wrote:

I'm kinda new to Italo. Does anyone have recommendations as to what artists/albums I should start with? Or a compilation with a range of artists?

I thought I'd ask in this thread as it seemed appropriate smile Cheers!

(oh and I'm a newcomer to the forums)

Hey hey!

1) Try this mix for the "obvious" commercial stuff: http://www.discogs.com/Various-Hot-Danc … se/3774412
Very cool compilation... Some tracks sound a bit different than the original versions, but very cool...

2) Then you should try I-F's Mixed up in the Hague 1 & 2 mixes... absolutely essential!!

3) And last but not least the old cbs top 100s of 2004, 2005 and 2006...

For me these had probably been the most important influences, that set up my love into italo...

Kraftwerks achso graue Autobahn, Drexciyas achso blaue Aquabahn...
https://soundcloud.com/bender101-1

rossokha81 wrote:

You should check Flemming Dalum mixes. This is a good way to discover different styles in italo.

true but perhaps not the most accessible starting point

+ the records aren't affordable anyway

"A Real Music Hater"

+ in some mixes you barely get to hear 30 seconds of each track...  lol

30 (edited by Scarface 2012-11-18 20:25:17)

Bender wrote:

2) Then you should try I-F's Mixed up in the Hague 1 & 2 mixes... absolutely essential!!

3) And last but not least the old cbs top 100s of 2004, 2005 and 2006...

Should be noted not 100% italo and if so mostly the electro-ish tracks. Totally o.k. if that's your taste ofcourse.

"Are you loving?"

Scarface wrote:

I think the difficulty with your question Zeha is that italo disco isn't a song but a style of music. The style represents more than one song so you should listen more than one song to get familiar with it. Even if you listen to Sabrina you don't get the full picture of italo disco. wink

Yeah that's obviously true, I was just curious what people would maybe classify as being the "ultimate italo song" wink of course there's no single right answer to that, just pick the song you think fits the most wink just for fun, nothing serious big_smile

Like I once read, if you want to show somebody what Heavy Metal is, just play the Painkiller album by Judas Priest  cool