Re: New mini monosynth from Dave Smith

Squadra Smackos wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synesthesia

Ah this was ofcourse in answer to Computer Disco's claim from a page back...

I wish I had this...it sounds sweet tongue

I was so close // I crept like a cat // visions of seduction lurkin under my hat
Zerohour Doom & Glamour | RETALI8Cold Crush

Jackie Ransom, Luster & Beta Evers - Secrets Of The World out now on 7"/Digital

52 (edited by plikestechno 2008-10-27 22:48:10)

hans olof wrote:

got it yesterday. damn this thing is tiny! haven't had time to really dig into it yet but it seems very capable.

I was surprised the first time I saw my friend's Evolver desktop and how tiny it was.

It's funny how doing internet research and looking at pictures alter your perspective on dimensions of things. Some things you think would be massive are quite small and the other way around. I have a Techstar TS-306 on the way (actually with six pads and stands) and the same friend (who also used to have a techstar years ago) was over to my place. I showed him where on the rack I was going to put it and he was like "Are you high? It's massive. It'll need double the rack space."

so i've been messing around a bit with my mopho (or pro-one II as it says on the circuitboard). i must say i am pretty satisfied with it. those of you who have played with the prophet 08 knows what to expect.
it's a perfect little thing for people like me who are bitter over the prices of old synths like pro-one, ms20 and mono/poly etc. well basically any 'major league' mono synth (or a p08 for that matter). this thing gives you access to all those wierd modulations, osc sync, great bass sounds, etc. because of the few knobs and switches, it misses the direct control of those old synthesizers, but then again it's very small which makes it a great tool for livesets. the editor makes programming a hell of a lot easier. maybe you can think of it as an analog mono micromodular or something.
the external input is nice to use as a trigger for seq or arp.
however i am missing an on/off switch. pulling the cord in and out like that can't be good.

the ugliness of this thing has been discussed before. and the push it!-button is only like a single key. i don't know why they hyped up that button so much. it makes it look really stupid. maybe it is to draw attention to it in music stores or something. like those try me!-buttons on talking dolls. anyway i hope the horrible design won't scare too many people away. it is a powerful little box after all, and you can always give it a little facelift.

maybe this is a nice hardware piece to add to my software setup. Affordable, sounds nice and perfect size. put something togheter now hans olof so we can hear it in a track.

Have one for two weeks now
this thing is insanely cool !!
i can recommend this to everybody
don't think i'm gonna be making a lot of tracks with no mopho from now on

and probably because it's so freakin' awesome i don't even care about the color anymore

I like the color.. The only thing really ugly with it is the logo

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

hans olof wrote:

...the external input is nice to use as a trigger for seq or arp...

you can trigger seq's like a 101??  that's pretty cool for a modern synth!

dequalsrxt wrote:
hans olof wrote:

...the external input is nice to use as a trigger for seq or arp...

you can trigger seq's like a 101??  that's pretty cool for a modern synth!

kind of, yes. the sequencer is not like the one on the 101, but you can set the external input to trigger the steps.

i ripped the sticker off my mopho a couple of days ago tongue looks much better i think. more spartan looking. maybe i'll do something about the color and/or add some text later. although the missing text is much less of a problem than i thought it would be.

hans olof wrote:

i ripped the sticker off my mopho a couple of days ago tongue

Pictures!! smile

i don't have a camera.. but maybe i can borrow one and snap some pics

[quote=RETALI8

Monkey see, monkey do.

cimabot wrote:
hans olof wrote:

i ripped the sticker off my mopho a couple of days ago tongue

Pictures!! smile

yeah i wanna see too !
i was thinking about blacking it out and putting prophet knobs on it,
but i don't hate the yello anymore...maybe removing the letters is enough pimping

dave smith mother fucker

used it live this weekend for the first time.
On a bigger system the difference between analogue and V.A. seems even bigger than in the studio !
What a screaming little beast !

http://www.240-interceptor.com/skinnedmofo.jpg

there it is. the lcd is a bit vulnerable now.. it was only protected by the thin plastic sticker. same design as the prophet 08 btw, kinda cheap for a synth of that calibre imho. anyway i'll just put a piece of plexiglas or something over the lcd.

a piece of plexiglas like the Jupiter 8 has on the display would look very cool !
I like the stickerless look .

Yes it is kind of a cheap construction with the lcd,
but then again the thing IS kind of cheap for the amount of synth you get  wink

Hehe that stickerless mopho looks a bit like a block of cheddar with knobs on it.

that does look nice w/o that sticker.
can anybody tell me more about the sequencer? it's got a trigger input? how is it to program (can you do it w/o a midi keyboard)? are there multiple parts, or just one sequence?
it's looking more tempting...

triggerinput --> yes
program  -->  can do without midi keyboard or midi controller, but both will help.
seq--> 4 sequences per patch

i didn't know you could program the seq with a midi keyboard, how do you do that?

the seq is 'analog style' as dave smith calls it. 16 steps that can be set to any note number or rest or reset. there are 4x16 steps, but i don't think you can link them together (making 32 steps for example).
with the editor it's easier to program more complex stuff like rhythms etc, with a more graphic overview of the 4 seqs in a separate window.

Misunderstanding time !
I'm saying you can program the Mopho without a midi keyboard , like SOS asks.
Not saying you can do it with..  wink

But it always helps to have a midicontroller and keyboard next to a machine with only 1 triggerbutton
and only 9 knobs to edit stuff. With a midi controller you could have a knob for every step in a sequence ,
which will make programming a sequence slightly more easy.
A keyboard comes in handy if you want to check/preview a certain note you want to put in a sequence,
or if you want to listen to the sequence in a diferent key and stuff like that.

ok i see what you mean. having a knob or slider for every step in the sequence would make it more 'analog style' for sure. like on the p08. you could do that on the mopho aswell if you stick to 4 step sequences tongue

73 (edited by Honey Peters 2008-12-18 23:53:22)

mr pauli wrote:

but then again the thing IS kind of cheap for the amount of synth you get  wink

So did Dave smith give you a job in promotions yet? He should.

Whats with the snippy?.. I really like my mopho too

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

Would a smile somewhere in there have made it less snippy? I do think Pauli should get his next Dave Smith synth for free for all his reviews and demos of the mopho and 08. I also think I read that he uses one or the other on almost every track. That's grounds for an endorsement deal.