Re: New mini monosynth from Dave Smith

yeah you're right ! Totally agree.
It's about time Mr Dave breaks out his secret stash of original never used new in box Prophet 5's,
and asks me if i think i can use one..

..to be honest, not a big chance.
I even read about that Keyboardwizzard guy that does all those p'08 and Mopho demo's on youtube,
he doesn't even get endorsement stuff !! Bought both machines himself.

Probably a wee bit less snippy yes.. Anyway, the word snippy is fucking awesome.

Im playing my mopho with my korg nano key now, its like some perverse japanese mini fantasy!

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

.. But seriously.. On off-switch please!? Mayebe it's mod time

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

Know what you mean about the power switch... why not ??
The MicroModular is also lacking one.

But if Dave thinks it's ok, and it can't damage the machine and stuff, then why should we make it a problem ?
I turn of the studio with one master switch anyway..

mr pauli wrote:

I have always wondered if it could damage the equipment in any way.
Once I turned off a Drumtraks on the wallswitch and then all the patterns got erased.
I now only switch gear off that has memorychip inside on its main power button.

81 (edited by mr pauli 2008-12-19 16:09:43)

Netrom wrote:
mr pauli wrote:

I have always wondered if it could damage the equipment in any way.
Once I turned off a Drumtraks on the wallswitch and then all the patterns got erased.
I now only switch gear off that has memorychip inside on its main power button.

oh yes, that thought has crossed my mind many times, but in 15+ years nothing ever happened.
And my non-technical brain always comes to the same conclusion :
what's the difference between turning off the powerswitch on a machine and switching off the power
leading to the machine ?

edit :  and the fact that gear gets released without a power switch, kind of says it's ok to turn it off with
         a master switch..

what if you don't have a master switch? then you will have to keep pulling out the cable... and that can't be good. i'd say dave smith is one cheap fella. same thing with the plastic sticker screen on the p08, even if you get a lot of synth for the money, if you get a dent in that screen there is no way to repair it. it's not exactly built to last.
anyway im glad they make cheap chit like the mopho so poor suckers like me can afford it big_smile

hans olof wrote:

what if you don't have a master switch? then you will have to keep pulling out the cable... and that can't be good.

That's what i mean; what is the difference between turning off power with a switch on the machine
and doing it by pulling out the cable ? Off is off.
It's not like a synth needs time to shut down like a computer.

But isn't it an idea to get something like this anyway Hans ?
...have to show a pic because i can't come up with the word smile
http://www.skytronic.com/rsc/img/400/423_946.jpg

pulling out the cable shuts off the synth, but the adapter will still be using up energy.
Using a thing like that ( or a bigger one, or a few of course ) you can unplug the whole studio
in one go. So also lightning and stuff won't hurt your gear.

i have a couple of those already... i just don't think dave should assume everyone does. im not worried about the actual shutting down of the mopho, rather the socket/cable which is a bit flimsy to begin with and can't benefit from being raped like that. the volume knob could easily function as a on/off switch for example.
but hey, it's not the end of the world smile

btw is it possible to download or save patches to your computer? or do you need the "pro" editor for that? it would be nice to get some patch exchange thing going!

You can save patches

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

indeed, i don't think a power/ volume knob would have made it that much more expensive.
..but you never know; an extra knob supplier, an extra step in the production process, an extra element to
check...stuff like that... i don't know..don't build synths
But you're right.
Like BMX mentions: buiding your own power switch is a good idea.
Probably the easiest mod around.

I think he just expects you to be so stoked about his gear that you will be constantly using it and never have to turn it off.

instead of 'push it' now it should be TURN IT OFF

as a matter of fact, most pro studio gear is made to be left on at all times. herr pauli is right, it is the best thing to switch off via a masterswitch, also the easiest. but the moment that gear breaks, it's always when switched on. if something is faultyalready, it'll go boom when suddenly it gets power..

WOW!
Sorry to rise this thread from the dead, but I was impressed by this little mopho today.
A friend came over with it, he got a second one in a trade and wanted to sell it.
I wasn't sure, but I got hooked fast.
Not the most straight forward to use but it sounds great and the mod options and CC control make it an amazing and quite unique synth.
For example I programmed a 2-osc pwm bass modulated with two lfos', it sounds great.

I still think it's ugly but whatever, maybe I'll give it a makeover eventually.

Could you post some examples?

shutting down everything in one go is not a good idea. this can result into high voltage spikes that can do nasty stuff to your gear.

Monkey see, monkey do.

mr pauli wrote:

what's the difference between turning off the powerswitch on a machine and switching off the power
leading to the machine ?

edit :  and the fact that gear gets released without a power switch, kind of says it's ok to turn it off with
         a master switch..

the difference is that the energy stored in the magnetic fields of the wires and transformers kicks back thru the whole system.

Monkey see, monkey do.

biotek wrote:

the difference is that the energy stored in the magnetic fields of the wires and transformers kicks back thru the whole system.

and if you have too much gear hooked up in your studio this might result in cross modulated oscillator feedback loop which in turn can cause a core melt down at your local nuclear plant or a dam breach at your nearest hydroelectric plant.

or if you use only green energy the feedback might emit zarvox beams from the closest photovoltaic collectir field and zap out the sun.

better safe than sorry.

95 (edited by biotek 2009-07-30 14:07:47)

umm.. did you forget to take your medication this morning.

Monkey see, monkey do.

TONY COPS wrote:

WOW!
Sorry to rise this thread from the dead, but I was impressed by this little mopho today.
A friend came over with it, he got a second one in a trade and wanted to sell it.
I wasn't sure, but I got hooked fast.
Not the most straight forward to use but it sounds great and the mod options and CC control make it an amazing and quite unique synth.
For example I programmed a 2-osc pwm bass modulated with two lfos', it sounds great.

I still think it's ugly but whatever, maybe I'll give it a makeover eventually.

Still love the Mopho. Use it a lot.
After a while it's not even that hard to program the thing using it's own knobs.
It's got so many ways  to modulate stuff it's insane !

But still sometimes i look at it and think to myself: shit man you are one ugly mofo...

biotek wrote:
mr pauli wrote:

leading to the machine ?

a master switch..

Very interesting and alarming.
Don't know shit about that shit myself.
Guess i have been very lucky for a long time.

At how many machines switched off at the same time does stuff get dangerous ?

At the moment i have one master plugbox that feeds my mixer and my speakers.
But it also feeds four other plugboxes ! But i switch those on and off independently.

When i shut down , i first switch off those four followed by the master plugbox.
Would that be an ok procedure  ?
That's not the whole studio at once..

I think modern gear transformers have fast enough flyback diodes to minimize the risk there, but who knows about old obscure gear run by cheap wallwarts. Flyback diodes can't account for spaghetti sea of power and extension cords though.

The resulting very fast transient pulses don't have that much power to burn things but the danger lies in microcircuits where thin traces can burn thru quick with sharp voltage pulses. Again modern chips have precautions against this but who knows what's the case with old synth chips. Well in any case you don't want those em pulses running thru your circuit boards.

I think the best way is to turn every device off individually, you can be sure that they are designed for that atleast.

Monkey see, monkey do.

99 (edited by TONY COPS 2009-07-30 21:07:58)

Ah man that's bad news!

I don't if it applies to me, I have two Furman conditionners in my rack where everything is plugged in, they both go to another computer power par that's plugged into the wall.

I never had issues, but I figured it would help since my building is a hundred years old and you see electricity was like an afterthought.

@ Mr Pauli, yes it's actually easy to program the thing as long as you start by turning off modulations.

I have a Pro-One and they do sound alike, sounds like a cross between the Pro-One and the Six-trak, or in my experience, the Max.

Here's an example using 2 different sound : http://share.ovi.com/media/TONYCOPS.tra … COPS.10059

TONY COPS wrote:

@ Mr Pauli, yes it's actually easy to program the thing as long as you start by turning off modulations.

maybe you already know but in the global parameter screen you can create a basic patch
with everything turned off except a sawtooth so you can start from scratch