2,951 (edited by plikestechno 2010-07-09 00:27:11)

Re: What new booty have you acquired?

Yamaha AN200 for $100. Have always liked Yamaha's AN engine and don't have any VA in my rig.

Euro modules out the ass as always. Almost done my 4th 6U now.

shame on you! big_smile double multimode filtersa, negative envelope voltages.. try setting the vcf's to bandpass (or one low and one band) resonance full, and then play the initial level/attack level/ attack time settings.. i love what those yamaha filters and their envelope generators can do..

It's possible it'll grow on you, the filters are unique, that's the most interesting feature of the black CSs in my opinion, but they are also a bit weak and have no self-oscillating resonance.

The oscillators are a little dull too, not a good candidate for a big bassline.

But overall if you have a few other synths, this one can take up a space in mix that would otherwise not be used.

I"m not a yamaha cs series fan to.
Always tought every part of this synth is weak sounding.

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

mono, it sounds weak in the same way a serge sounds weak. the fact that it doesn't sound like a moog makes it sonically interesting in other ways. as i said, for example the filter envelope with its 3 start-stages is something very few other monos have, and can generate some very cool sounds.

I didn't like my cs15 either. Comparing it to other mono synths it wasn't what I hoped it to be, although at that time I hardly knew what to look for. Still I never regret selling it, I made a very good profit on it and I'm still convinced it's not my cup of tea.

Rude66 you're right about the Serge being weak compared to a moog and synthi etc.
But the Serge is the best thing on the planet for sound design/synthesis.
But a Moog modular is in sound design kinda boring compared to a Serge.
Not something i can say about the Yamaha CS.
But ofcourse it's also a matter of personal taste.

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

New korg wavedrum showed up today, after being misplaced in the post for a week!

I've been learning to play drums on a practice pad a bit lately, and  getting a bit bored of the sound of wood on rubber.. wanted something to move to that I can actually use in a musical context if I want. and very happy to have an electronic instrument with such an interesting and expressive interface... also I'm really keen to see how far the physical models can be stretched on this thing.. :-)

also hoping it'll cure my jonesing for a real snare drum and a real floor tom and a real high hat for at least a while...

oh, interesting, a wavedrum! always been curious about those. let us know if it works for you..

2,960 (edited by no-fi 2010-07-11 09:42:59)

oh dear - I'm unstoppable!! either that, or drum synths are like busses......

Now I've just won an auction for a simmons SDS-V

I couldn't help myself. been interested in one for ages, and this one comes with kick & snare & 3 toms & the HH module!!  plus it also comes with 4 pads (but no kick pad, or drum hardware - not that this matters.. this one is for drum machine trigering, not hand playing!)

I couldn't let this one go by without taking a bite at it - normally you're really lucky to get anything more than some toms and maybe possibly the snare in the SDS-V's I've seen.. so the kick module and the HH module is very exciting!

Oh, and one small issue - the PSU needs work - it will power any combination of 5 modules, but won't power all 6 modules at once.

In the meantime, my wavedrum is going well.. Last night I repaired the snare stand a friend leant me, so now I can get some proper use with it. It is really lots and lots of fun to play, and it responds very much like my friends real snare drum... In fact it's so sensitive that when I had headphones plugged in and i was moving it about, the snare "rattled" and I instinctively reached under it to make sure I wasn't catching the snare springs anything! heh!

there's a few "hmmmm"s about it, (biggest one is I can't make either of the kick & snare algorithms work without the snare going off with every kick sound, and the pressure sensor is maybe needing a bit of adjuetment) but mostly my experience with it has been very positive. I'm in the process of working out what I can do with a bit of drum tensioning adjustment and sensitivity settings. looking like a keeper.

MAM adx-1

no-fi wrote:

oh dear - I'm unstoppable!! either that, or drum synths are like busses......

Now I've just won an auction for a simmons SDS-V

I couldn't help myself. been interested in one for ages, and this one comes with kick & snare & 3 toms & the HH module!!  plus it also comes with 4 pads (but no kick pad, or drum hardware - not that this matters.. this one is for drum machine trigering, not hand playing!)

I couldn't let this one go by without taking a bite at it - normally you're really lucky to get anything more than some toms and maybe possibly the snare in the SDS-V's I've seen.. so the kick module and the HH module is very exciting!

congratulations, you dont see those HH modules very often.. The SDS4 and SDS5 are still on my wishlist..
Maybe also keep your eyes open for the SDS8, SDS800 and SDS400. These are compared to other modules relative cheap, very usefull and lots of fun! (ps, the SDS9 is pretty lame as far as I can remember so better skip that one..)

TB or not TB

I had the SDS-8 for a while... didn't actually like it that much. I hope the SDS-V sounds at least a bit different or I'll be selling it again! :-)

no-fi wrote:

I had the SDS-8 for a while... didn't actually like it that much. I hope the SDS-V sounds at least a bit different or I'll be selling it again! :-)

The SDSV and SDS8 sound pretty different I guess but how can you not like a SDS8?! Maybe try some effects wink

TB or not TB

2,965 (edited by TONY COPS 2013-06-03 14:37:19)

edited

Just traded my SH-09 and RE-301 last week for a botaload of modules that I couldn't resist. Will miss both but will probably buy another RE down the road and an SH-2.

2,967 (edited by TONY COPS 2013-06-03 14:37:14)

edited

Got this fella on monday:

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/4898/dx21.jpg

And here's something I did with it:

You were just a damn sequencer
Moving to the beat
Living with a synthesizer
Cold as a repeat

Nice one.  Love the DX21!

I picked up a Zoom H4n over the weekend.  Having lots of fun recording baby sounds.  smile

Two noise gadgets. The Baby Box Mini is awesome. The Rupture sounds great, weird, but it's light sensitive eye is not that sensitive.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1376980/noise.jpg

the mini looks awesome! reminds me i need to pull out my weird noise generator and mess with it.

what does the twist switch do on the rupture?

worship the potentiometer.

2,972 (edited by miravalles 2010-07-22 05:11:48)

screenvinylimage wrote:

the mini looks awesome! reminds me i need to pull out my weird noise generator and mess with it.

The Rupture is a feedback looper. You connect several pedals to it, it throws some nasty feedback into the loop and some serious cray shit come out. I don't fully understand what it does to the sound, how the signal is fed back into the loop. You twist the knob called "twist" and you increase the amount of feedback present. But the feedback acts differently according to pitch regions and according to how you twist the knobs on the other pedals connected to it. It's really amazing, you get some really cool results.
The "eye" works very well actually. It does the same thing as the knob. If you increase the amount of light going through the eye, you increase the feedback. I messed with a flashlight and with one of those laser pointers. Really really cool results. Very nice piece of gear. I highly recommend for lots of noisy fun.
I plugged the Mini Noise in it and put it to drone. Some really badass dronage came out. It was cool because the Rupture gets really aggressive with input signals that aren't that loud. The Mini Noise output is really loud, so I guess it doesn't leave enough room for much else, so the Rupture acts smoother. Really cool.

My SEM has just been delivered to work  smile

miravalles wrote:
screenvinylimage wrote:

The Rupture is a feedback looper. You connect several pedals to it, it throws some nasty feedback into the loop and some serious cray shit come out. I don't fully understand what it does to the sound, how the signal is fed back into the loop. You twist the knob called "twist" and you increase the amount of feedback present. But the feedback acts differently according to pitch regions and according to how you twist the knobs on the other pedals connected to it. It's really amazing, you get some really cool results.
The "eye" works very well actually. It does the same thing as the knob. If you increase the amount of light going through the eye, you increase the feedback. I messed with a flashlight and with one of those laser pointers. Really really cool results. Very nice piece of gear. I highly recommend for lots of noisy fun.
I plugged the Mini Noise in it and put it to drone. Some really badass dronage came out. It was cool because the Rupture gets really aggressive with input signals that aren't that loud. The Mini Noise output is really loud, so I guess it doesn't leave enough room for much else, so the Rupture acts smoother. Really cool.

yeah we have a feedback looper, but it's the death by audio total sonic annihilation. i think he made some custom versions w/ a light sensor but we just got the basic. we used it all over our last record w/ distortion pedals and delays. they are really fun to mess with! ours doesn't have the twist feature either which is why i was curious about what it did.

hopefully you own a strobe light!

worship the potentiometer.

I definitely need a strobe light!
I always look at the Death by Audio stuff and some really calls my attention, specially that Robot. It looks cool, but I think it's too expensive.