Re: What new booty have you acquired?

plikestechno wrote:
cloud9 wrote:

craigslist great condition casio fz-1 - $25

Awesome find!

thanks p! after seeing all the good deals you and other robots have found i've been keeping on top of craigslist for the past few weeks. this is actually the 2nd fz-1 i've seen go for under $50 but first one i was too slow.  smile

I have a lot of S950 disks labelled FZ-1 something and they all sound really good, I don't know if that's any indication the sampler itself sounds good but I've always wanted to find out.

fz-1 is supposed to be one of the nicest all around early samplers.  16 bit, up to 64 samples, plus you can do additive synthesis and draw your own waveforms on the screen.  $25 is an unbelievably good deal on that.

the keytek cts2000 got here today, i'm really amazed with it.  low expectations i guess.  it's definitely more like some kind of bootleg waldorf than anything else, and the key action is really good compared to my DK-70 (which has perhaps the worst keyboard ever made).  the sound isn't fuzzy at all, which is a bit disappointing to me but to be expected from a digital synth.  the presets are mostly crap but there's a great cheesy house piano and some new beat style basses, plus one harmonic 5ths patch that i'm going to use immediately.  editing the five keyboard zones is a pain in the ass but the filters are quite good and the 5 sliders make everything pretty hands on and change the settings in real time (so i can change lfo speed or filter cutoff while playing, which puts it above the ESQ-1 in my opinion).  very clean & crisp filters compared to some other CEM synths i've had, does warm up the digital sound well enough though.

3,479 (edited by plikestechno 2011-01-06 03:09:37)

cloud9 wrote:

after seeing all the good deals you and other robots have found i've been keeping on top of craigslist for the past few weeks.

After nothing for years the last six months here have been so crazy that I feverishly look at mine all day now. I mean there's the stuff I've kept but I've flipped a ton too. Thankfully I'm at a job where I can sit and check all day and have it be no big deal. And I can bust for a break to buy it ASAP.

It's quite pathetic and insane and I really have to calm down but after I scored that SH-7 a couple of weeks ago I've gone supernova. I'm gonna wear my blackberry out. Before the SH-7 I would look maybe a half dozen times a day but now it's crazy.

I don't know what's up lately. Maybe when times are tight people start looking around the house for anything they can get some dough for. But there has been crazy gear for crazy prices in my city lately. It might dry up soon but I'll ride the wave as long as I can. The worst part is that a city 3 hours south (Calgary) has been even better but on Kijiji/Craigslist the good deals go before people'd consider shipping them out or before you can get a friend there.

few months back i got an ensoniq mirage with anvil case + 25 disks, full set of manuals and all the rest for $100 off a craigslist ad.  showed up delighted to be getting such a good deal and chatted with the guy for an hour or so and walked out of there with the mirage i came for, a matrix-6r, a korg ddd-1 and a tascam porta01 (80s model) for not a penny over $100.  never know what you're going to get.

transient sun wrote:

few months back i got an ensoniq mirage with anvil case + 25 disks, full set of manuals and all the rest for $100 off a craigslist ad.  showed up delighted to be getting such a good deal and chatted with the guy for an hour or so and walked out of there with the mirage i came for, a matrix-6r, a korg ddd-1 and a tascam porta01 (80s model) for not a penny over $100.  never know what you're going to get.

Superb Score... Thats some good Kama at work there!

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

Dynacord MDL 10

plus some ROM cards, one for DX7, one for RX5 and two for Super JX.

computerdisco wrote:
transient sun wrote:

Superb Score... Thats some good Kama at work there!

indeed! i guess some people are more concerned about where & to whom the gear goes instead of making just the more profit out of it.. it's like, their babies afterall

yes it's another reason why i like these craigslist deals is that aside from the good prices on things you find every now and then the people and their stories are very interesting as well. i always try and chat a bit before just making the deal and taking off and when it's a good deal i always have to ask WHY ARE YOU GETTING RID OF THIS? some of the answers are good and some are bad.. i've met a few 'famous' musicians who don't really need the money, i've met some people that do film scores that didn't think people even used that type of gear anymore, and then i've met some folks that don't really know what it is (got it from a friend that's deceased or family that's moved out and they have no use for it.). always interesting stuff and always gotta be careful they're not a rapist or murderer! i thought for sure the fz-1 was a scam and i was going to end up dead. i met the guy on a street corner of a bad neighborhood late at night but i just couldn't pass up the opportunity and it turned out OK!  smile

plikestechno wrote:

After nothing for years the last six months here have been so crazy that I feverishly look at mine all day now. I mean there's the stuff I've kept but I've flipped a ton too. Thankfully I'm at a job where I can sit and check all day and have it be no big deal. And I can bust for a break to buy it ASAP.

It's quite pathetic and insane and I really have to calm down but after I scored that SH-7 a couple of weeks ago I've gone supernova. I'm gonna wear my blackberry out. Before the SH-7 I would look maybe a half dozen times a day but now it's crazy.

lol i'm the same way now. in between working i'm just constantly looking through the ads. half dozen times a day? oh man i do that in a few minutes now... like you said quite pathetic and insane!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e148/computerdisco/powertran_transcendent.jpg

From my good friend Cimabot.. needs to go for a service as the gate is stuck on constantly but looking forward to its 70's synthpop goodness..

*Image used not actual unit.

+++ Dont be scared honey, thats just the resonance knob +++

a Jen SX 1000! I find it sounds super nice. Can't put my finger on it yet, but there is something about this little thing that just amazes me. I played it non-stop for 2 hrs last night with no fx in the chain and I couldn't get enough! It's really nicely built and although very simple in architecture it's got some nice quirks. Loving the PWM controls and the snappiness of the envelopes.
I have also bought a kit to upgrade it to midi for 120 squids, which replaces the oscillator chip as well (the M110 tends to die apparently, and can't be replaced like for like). Simple mod but very effective by the looks of it, also gives filter cutoff control via a master keyboard with mod wheel. Anyone interested have a look here
http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/6505/img0231gv.jpg
http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/1706/img0233s.jpg

computerdisco wrote:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e148/computerdisco/powertran_transcendent.jpg

From my good friend Cimabot.. needs to go for a service as the gate is stuck on constantly but looking forward to its 70's synthpop goodness..

*Image used not actual unit.

I used to have one of these back in the mid 90's.  I don't know if the person who made it from the kit originally messed up but it sounded really thin, the envelopes didn't seem to work in any logical way and it was pretty crap.  It'd be good to hear what a working one sounded like.

http://blogs.westword.com/backbeat/martinhannett.jpg

I always wanted one when I had an Omni.

i always loved that photo tony!

also, awesome find on the Jen cimabot, we always wanted to find one of those, extra cool that it came with the preset cards. all looks in good condition too.

worship the potentiometer.

thanks screen! if you do find one for not much make sure you get it! It sounds great and simple in a very versatile way imho.

just made an offer on someone's 808.. fingers crossed

olivier8 wrote:

just made an offer on someone's 808.. fingers crossed

good luck Oliver, I hope you get it! smile

TB or not TB

http://wifimidi.com/

I couldn't resist.

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

Bonne chance Oliver!

@ Mono : for the ipad?

I wouldn't wish 802.11b on my worst enemies!

mono-poly wrote:

http://wifimidi.com/

I couldn't resist.

that's cool mono! a friend of mine has been using his droid with pure data over bluetooth, but he's been looking into some of the midi options now too.

worship the potentiometer.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1386.snc4/163891_10150367073070492_571140491_17109532_4772007_n.jpg
just missing a bit of the A/B selector on the right side.. already ordered a new one! and a couple knobs like the volume & tempo that i can vampirise my DR-55 for
should be home by monday

it looks great, congratulations!

I was so stoked when I got mine, and I still am!

Congratulations on the 808. Best drum machine in the world.

My latest purchase was a Moogerfooger MF103 phaser pedal.