Re: What new booty have you acquired?

TONY COPS wrote:

@ unicity, I don't think you can ask me too many questions about my gear, in fact I won't shut up about it.  btw are you in Montreal as well?

Haha good to know.  I could go on all day about gear as well.  I'm in Winnipeg.

if that memorymoog is in good condition, it's a serious steal.

only ''gear'' here were 2 small bottles of deoxit and deoxit gold.. time to attack some serious mixer problems here..

That's what I was thinking. That's not even $2000 US right now. But I'm broke as hell.

memorymoog is pretty drama when it isn't modified by lintronics.

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

the one for 2500$ is the later midi (+?), there's also one locally that's 2000, I could resell like I used to do a lot but it's so much hassle, and I just don't trust eBay and Paypal anymore.

806 (edited by plikestechno 2009-03-07 05:24:22)

Yeah, I'm almost done with Ebay too. Paypal and Ebay's giving everybody less and less protection these days. They used to be really buyer biased so at least someone was protected in the deal but that's gone by the wayside too. Buyers now get snippy if it's not out the next day or in three days, I always give my sellers two weeks although paypal only protects you as a seller now if you get it out in a week (lots of people don't know this, I almost got f***ed once for $1600 when I sent out something 10 days after payment.) Records tend to go out once every two weeks but when it's something serious and paypal doesn't help you at all now it seems if it's a record., I get the big things out as soon as I can. Never longer than a week now.

I haven't lost a bunch of cash but there's been a few close calls lately both as buyer and seller. I bought records for years on Ebay (will never forget when I bought over 200 records of Tommie Sunshine's old electro and disco collection...and some electroclash of the time..don't judge) for about $400 Canadian delivered about 5 years ago. I haven't sold one record of it let's put it that way and records made me nervous but it's nothing like gear. I've been way too nervous as buyer and seller lately. I find message boards way more reliable but there's scammers there too. Usually you have to sell a few pieces of gear before you're legit so don't put out the best stuff first unless you want people trying to get deep discounts.

Ultimately we'd all buy locally. These things really aren't meant to be shipped. I'd probably lose sleep if I was waiting for a CS-80 or a Jupiter 8. I know the people I can try to swoon locally but the people with the best stuff here want crazy money so I go back to Ebay and message boards. Part of slowing down is that I have a number of the synths that I've always wanted now (202, JX-10, Syncussion this week, ATC-1 with all the filters that I got for a crazy deal, Octave CAT SRM, Synare 3 etc...)

I really, honestly just want to save up for a Serge panel (Animal would be nice) or Macbeth M5X with record and gear sales. One last big bang. I'm honestly almost good now, it's time for tracks. But I'm just terrible at saving.

I'll still sell, if you get it out in a week, with a tracking number and a confirmed address you're gold unless you are too stupid to pack instruments properly (there's a ton of tutorials online. that's how I learned.) The exchange rate (Canada to US or Euro) is too nuts not too. And I've found if I price it market and throw in shipping for free (only witrh BIN) it's out the door pretty fast.

plikestechno wrote:

I really, honestly just want to save up for a Serge panel (Animal would be nice) or Macbeth M5X with record and gear sales. One last big bang. I'm honestly almost good now, it's time for tracks. But I'm just terrible at saving.

That is my problem also- I suck at saving money also. Yeah it is time for some tracks with what ever gear we have.
I finally stopped buying synth stuff at least. My solution was to build (1) mini MFOS modular and all the DIY filters out there all over the net. That keeps my weird sounds pallete satisfied.

Planet of Cevo

808 (edited by plikestechno 2009-03-07 06:14:26)

I could not possibly be less of a techie. Someone would have to build me one and that's when the cash starts flying out. Techs at my work (work at TV station) have fixed some little niggles for me ( detached PWM on 202, battery terminals for Synare that got ripped in shipping) in minutes for a lunch but if I brought them a bunch of paper and a bunch of parts (they're all family guys) they'd tell me to beat it and I think the fixit shop would be closed down. Not even a money thing, just lots of a time thing.

Microkorg XL.. Mtf awesume

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

I like the design of the XL, it looks like it came out after the Micro-Preset or something.

Are the keys better than the older model?

Dean bass guitar
smile

An Teppaz Oscar portable record player from the 60ies. With a little valve mono amp and settings for 16,33,45 and 78 rpm. very cute little thing with a speaker in the lid. Pictures not mine, it looks like it has never been opened before, really strange like a timewarp.
http://electricgramophone.nl/teppaz/331.jpg

It's classic drum machine here at the compound this week :
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn225/LCTRX08/IMG_6845.jpg

I got this last summer but it was at my tech's until today.

I bought it for cheap  but it wasn't working, my tech cleaned all the buttons and put in a new battery.
He also put in a JL Cooper midi kit but it's behaving erratically so it'll have to go back, very frustrating after waiting all this time, very. 
At least It works on its own sequencer so I got a chance to try it, it sounds great!
I regret getting the expensive midi kit for now, we'll see if it can be fixed.
It was my tech's so I'll get a refund if it doesn't work out.
I'll also have to get some original eproms that were replaced with some x0x series sounds.

814 (edited by asteroid 2009-03-08 03:43:33)

You're very lucky to get an original working Linn Drum. Electronics usually don't last longer then 10 years. You should be thankfull for what you got.
Forget about the midi-kit. It was never designed to be used with midi. That will remove the edge of the sound. Just use a mixer.

asteroid wrote:

You're very lucky to get an original working Linn Drum. Electronics usually don't last longer then 10 years. You should be thankfull for what you got.
Forget about the midi-kit. It was never designed to be used with midi. That will remove the edge of the sound. Just use a mixer.

I am lucky, but I seeked it out and paid for it, it wasn't a gift from god.  Electronics on the Linn drum will probably last over 50 years if taken care of.
Midi would be great for syncing the machine's sequencer to my computer, and adding fills and stuff, I don't worry about "the edge" so much.
What do you mean by "just use a mixer?"

Mule Driver wrote:

Dean bass guitar
smile

wow congrats mule driver!

Nice one Mule Driver...I really hope that you got either the Vendetta, the Edge Hammer or the Sledgehammer 5.
I used to sell those basses for a while. Great value for money!

plikestechno you really need to think what kind off modular you want.
Serge and McBeth are pretty different machines.
I think the M5 is way to big and yeah i am a Serge lover tongue

TONY COPS wrote:

I like the design of the XL, it looks like it came out after the Micro-Preset or something.

Are the keys better than the older model?

way better.. its truly awesome as far as im concerned. actually the most fun synth ive bought in ages and then the most recent one was a ms20.

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

Woody Aki wrote:

Nice one Mule Driver...I really hope that you got either the Vendetta, the Edge Hammer or the Sledgehammer 5.
I used to sell those basses for a while. Great value for money!

i got E series, thought the E stands for Edge.
can't find the my bass model on the net (strange)
anyway, i wanted G&L or musicman, but it was 4 times expensive.
the dean was nice surprise. i totally enjoy it.

already played it live and it rocks smile

thanks dishwashers union

821 (edited by plikestechno 2009-03-09 06:17:16)

mono-poly wrote:

plikestechno you really need to think what kind off modular you want.
Serge and McBeth are pretty different machines.
I think the M5 is way to big and yeah i am a Serge lover tongue

Well, I have a long time to think about it. Since it'll be at least a year or two away. The Macbeth I hadn't even thought of much til I heard a great demo. But for it's size it is limited. Basically buying an ARP2600 without the years of wear and tear.

I just want bang for buck if it's going to be a lot of bucks ($4000 or so) And I want something that makes sounds that are completely impossible to make on anything I have now. And that Animal panel just looks like something different and real bang for buck. If you were only going to buy one panel (shop, I've neither the time nor extra cash) which of them would you buy? Or should I buy two M-Panels? Something tells me I should keep to the main designs but lemme know what you think.

I just clicked to buy this beauty..
http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/3/11/873537/Roland%20R-70.jpg

Plikes> I think when you go for 1 full 19 inch panel the Animal is the best choice.

alesis mmt8 from a fellow robot. I'm loving it so far, sure as hell beats ableton when it comes to working fast and efficient.

http://img12.imageshack.us/img12/271/835712.jpg