TONY COPS wrote:
HOBYA wrote:

im sure i read somewhere this mod is not possible,
but would be v good!
the best

TB or not TB

Re: What new booty have you acquired?

plikestechno wrote:

I forgot about you Euros. Ebay is flooded right now with them from $1100-$1500 US right now but you guys have all that tax and then shipping hassles.

I got mine for $1100 US shipped. Which is basically 1100 Canadian right now. Which is less than half of what one would have been last year.

It has some cosmetic issues on the case but has been completely serviced and restored. All knobs, switches and jacks cleaned or replaced, battery casing replaced.  The only thing it replaced internally was a ribbon cable, he assured me everything else was original. All the rust was filed off the case and had an anti-rusting agent applied to it and nowhere at any point did it rust all the way through.

Very excited. It's not the best looking one but functionally it is apparently flawless. The seller is a techy guy backing it up with a 100% guarantee on all functions. Whcih put me over the top. And as my uncle once said to me "you don't f**k the face."

sounds like a deal there p. trying to save up for one at the moment as well and would be sweet if i can find one like that for that price!

Freek wrote:
mekonin wrote:
TONY COPS wrote:

I think I read that somewhere too, but anything's possible if you really want it, lol.

I would be more than happy if I could just select the patterns via MIDI...

Anything is possible, but can I afford it? wink

I have a pattern-change/transpose-modification on my 303, also want the same on the 808 so maybe can do the rest too..

could you give me few more details on how you modified it? i presume you're not using fabric din sync for that
don't know how different the seq design is between 303 and 808, maybe the same principle could be used on 808 too?

mekonin wrote:
Freek wrote:
mekonin wrote:

I would be more than happy if I could just select the patterns via MIDI...

Anything is possible, but can I afford it? wink

I have a pattern-change/transpose-modification on my 303, also want the same on the 808 so maybe can do the rest too..

could you give me few more details on how you modified it? i presume you're not using fabric din sync for that
don't know how different the seq design is between 303 and 808, maybe the same principle could be used on 808 too?

I dont do modifications myself but my synthdoctor does all the technical stuff, I only say what I want smile

The 303 has Midi-sync and Din-sync on the same and original Din-input, so you dont see any modifications or drill-holes. When using Midi-sync (no switch, the 303 just pics up the right signal) the 303 can also recieve pattern-changes and transpose-changes. It is set to a Midi-channel in which you can put notes on different keys to control the 303's sequencer/patterns.

Ive asked and the doctor thinks the pattern-changes mod on 808 is also possible. He told me that he was thinking about the copy/paste/memory/delete mod but that is a lot harder to develop, so not sure yet if he can fix it...

TB or not TB

that seems like a very elegant solution. please let me know if you mod your 808. personally, i don't think there is need for copy/paste, it's not that hard to program. it would be cool to have every instrument on different midi notes, but that would exclude the seq from it's use which, in rude66's words, makes up 50% of the 808's sound.

The 303 mod you describe sounds like any acidheads dream. Is this a mod that you tech inventet or is it is for sale somepwere on the interweps?

Home is where your hardware is!!!
ErrorAudio SoundCloud

mekonin wrote:

it would be cool to have every instrument on different midi notes, but that would exclude the seq from it's use which, in rude66's words, makes up 50% of the 808's sound.

How does the 808's sequencer make up 50% of the 808's sound?

my  new gear for last mothns : Roland mks7(350

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?

skkatter wrote:
mekonin wrote:

it would be cool to have every instrument on different midi notes, but that would exclude the seq from it's use which, in rude66's words, makes up 50% of the 808's sound.

How does the 808's sequencer make up 50% of the 808's sound?

Because there are no midi on/off notes but a voltage who triggers the sounds. Pure analog sequencing. Or am I wrong?

Nobody will hear the difference
and its not pure analog sequencing its computer controlled big_smile

Rude mentioned it in the Acidlab Miami topic, he talked about 808 having internal compression if i remember correctly

mekonin wrote:

that seems like a very elegant solution. please let me know if you mod your 808. personally, i don't think there is need for copy/paste, it's not that hard to program. it would be cool to have every instrument on different midi notes, but that would exclude the seq from it's use which, in rude66's words, makes up 50% of the 808's sound.

copy paste can be very handy.. it can be a lot of work if you want to make a bunch of variations on one pattern copying a few patterns with 12 sounds in first part and second part ..

Erroraudio wrote:

The 303 mod you describe sounds like any acidheads dream. Is this a mod that you tech inventet or is it is for sale somepwere on the interweps?

sorry, that mod was custom-made for me... Dunno where you live but my synthdoctor is located in the south of Holland..

Squadra Smackos wrote:

Nobody will hear the difference
and its not pure analog sequencing its computer controlled big_smile

well, you def hear difference in timing when you compare them (internal vs midi-notes), the internal sequencer has a slower timing..

I will keep you guys posted about future mods on the 808..

TB or not TB

Pendelum arived:

http://twitpic.com/llptw

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

mono-poly wrote:

Pendelum arived:

http://twitpic.com/llptw

great smile

Freek wrote:

well, you def hear difference in timing when you compare them (internal vs midi-notes), the internal sequencer has a slower timing..

If I posted up ten clips of my 808, five of them played with its internal sequencer and five of them played via an external midi sequencer, you would not be able to correctly identify which was which for all of them. (no point posting up just two clips as there's a 50/50 chance of guessing correctly)

skkatter wrote:
Freek wrote:

If I posted up ten clips of my 808, five of them played with its internal sequencer and five of them played via an external midi sequencer, you would not be able to correctly identify which was which for all of them. (no point posting up just two clips as there's a 50/50 chance of guessing correctly)

I understand, but if I use both machines at the same time (one with and one without midi) I def hear difference in timing...

TB or not TB

Got my SH-101 in the mail today. Just unwrapped it before I came to work.

Still wondering a bit if I made a good trade (My Nord G1 for his SH-101+200USD) but the way 101s have shot up in price lately I think it's good and I told myself I was going to restrict my soft synths for now to Oasys PCI and Ableton Live Suite 8.

Looks marvelous. Like my 202 but with so much more synth possibilities.

skkatter wrote:
Freek wrote:

Are you sure? There seems to be a bit of a myth surrounding the tightness of the 808's internal sequencer. Maybe a little test is in order.... smile

Dx27

1,695 (edited by plikestechno 2009-10-16 07:35:12)

I couldn't turn down a perfect conditioned MC-202 for $350 USD/Canadian today. I missed it and am happy I'll have one once again. Will make a nice partner to my 101. Just fired the 101 up for the first time. Everything's perfect and lots of fun.

SSM v3 wrote:
skkatter wrote:
Freek wrote:

Are you sure? There seems to be a bit of a myth surrounding the tightness of the 808's internal sequencer. Maybe a little test is in order.... smile

this has been tested and documented to death. search the web, people have been writing about this for 15 years. i'm starting to think enough is enough..
if any of you guys want to believe that vst's are as good as an analogue synth, samples are just like the real thing, midi timing vs internal timing in analogue drum machines doesn't matter, a behringer or other cheap mixer is just as good as an SSL or Neve, mp3's are just as good as vinyl, etc etc etc, just go ahead. if people who have worked with this stuff for years and years make a certain observation, no one forces you to believe them..

Stuff like clock tightness/ feel seems to be closer to pure voodoo than a a kind of science you can study. Here MIDI is talked about like all MIDI is basically equivalent. Of course it should be if people would just stick to the simple standard, but they don't. The standard is quite clear about clock messages but manufacturers cut corners and MIDI is often handled by a small co-processor in hardware. You can't simply assume hardware will always be tight just because there is no bloated OS to get in the way and just because a given device drifts a bit doesn't need to mean it doesn't sound good; the Atari (still my benchmark for tight MIDI) can sound a bit boring for some types of patterns.

I definetly hear a big difference in the internal sequencer timing of the 808. That is because the tempo pot is so dirty/scratchy that the timing is all across the scale.

So what if lots of techno heads on the internets think they can hear 'the funk'. It's a product of so many variables that the premise of the whole discussion is totally flawed to begin with.

Monkey see, monkey do.

rude66 wrote:

this has been tested and documented to death. search the web, people have been writing about this for 15 years. i'm starting to think enough is enough..
if any of you guys want to believe that vst's are as good as an analogue synth, samples are just like the real thing, midi timing vs internal timing in analogue drum machines doesn't matter, a behringer or other cheap mixer is just as good as an SSL or Neve, mp3's are just as good as vinyl, etc etc etc, just go ahead. if people who have worked with this stuff for years and years make a certain observation, no one forces you to believe them..

mp3 aren't as good as vinyl, mp3 are better than vinyl - no quality changes througout the track, no quality loss with each play, no time limitation, can carry higher frequencies, more handy, cheaper.

dont forget environmental big_smile

Pages Previous 1 66 67 68 69 70 189 Next

You must login or register to post a reply

Robots for Robots → General Hardware / Software Discussion → What new booty have you acquired?

Currently used extensions: pun_approval, pun_admin_add_user. Copyright © 2009 PunBB