Re: What new booty have you acquired?

mp3 aren't as good as vinyl, mp3 are better than vinyl - no quality changes througout the track, no quality loss with each play, no time limitation, can carry higher frequencies, more handy, cheaper

uuuhmm.... isnt mp3 just cutting away frequencys? the idea is to make a file smaller by cutting away frequencys so you can put more of those mp3 on your ipod or whatever. i work in a theater and there are many amateurs bringin mp3s for their dance*or whatever* performance and most of the time mp3 played true pa just stinks and sound isnt supposed to smell....... mp3 in no way is better then vinyll i just dont believe it im sorry, maybe if you said that .wav files  where just as good i could believe you..... ok they are cheaper..... but crackwhore are cheaper then prostitutes to.. but i aint going to hang my sack in a crackwhore for a few nickles.....
sorry for my bad grammar is suck at that.....

Do synthesizers dream of electronic drums?

ProjectGenocide wrote:

but crackwhore are cheaper then prostitutes to.. but i aint going to hang my sack in a crackwhore for a few nickles.....

pretty true

ProjectGenocide wrote:

uuuhmm.... isnt mp3 just cutting away frequencys? the idea is to make a file smaller by cutting away frequencys so you can put more of those mp3 on your ipod or whatever.

you have to cut even more frequencies to press something on vinyl...

check der zyklus - chereknov radiation 320kbps mp3 and vinyl

dont have them both would like to hear a good example of mp3 sounding better then vinyl  but before that time i cant really believe i always assumed mp3 was as i said ment for consumers to have more advance of their discspace so by cutting away frequencies you ''dont'' hear any way you make the files smaller in bites. my experience with mp3 played over proffesional pa systems gives me the idea that this is treu

bias wrote:

you have to cut even more frequencies to press something on vinyl...

Well, there are some limitations on what you can cut to vinyl, you can't have very low and loud bass in stereo for example. Most of the time this isn't a real issue as bass has very little directional information anyway. The main other issue is very high frequency harsh loud material that can burn out the cutter (this is expensive) but it's not like mp3 is especially good at that kind of material anyway.

Mp3 seems mainly suitable for convenience to me, less so for soundquality.

There was, BTW, some research a while ago that found that young people are increasingly prefering the sound of mp3 to wave or CD. Supposedly this had to do with high frequency content added by re-synthesis artefacts that are perceived as giving the material extra energy. I find that quite interesting, how the perception of what is high quality sound changes from generation to generation. I'm not going to argue that; if you feel mp3 sounds better that may very well be the case for you.

my girlfriend has left to go on holidays only one day ago, and I've already gone and picked up 2 new MIDI hardware sequencers (MSQ-700 and ASQ-10) to play with... and a off to pick up a cheap doepfer VCO module this afternoon....

Nice wan no fi wouldlike to have an sq10 2 and how is the msq?

The msq-700 is pretty cool. Basically it's exactly what I was hoping it'd be - the MIDI equivalent of the SH101 step sequencer (but able to do chords too) it has a realtime record function too, but I really just wanted step sequencing. The ability to run synced by dinsync is very cool. The only let down is that I can't seem to be able to switch sequences on the fly - I have to stop it to pick a new sequence. bah. hmm. realtime transpose would be nice, too....

I haven't tried anything with the ASQ-10 yet - but I figure it's not going to be that different from my mpc2000. it was cheap enough that I bought it as an experiment to see what it's like, timing-wise compared to my mpc.  Also interested to see if I can have a go slaving it off my computer with SMPTE time code through the audio interface, rather than trying to slave hardware sequencers via midi clock from the computer.

cloud9 wrote:
ProjectGenocide wrote:

but crackwhore are cheaper then prostitutes to.. but i aint going to hang my sack in a crackwhore for a few nickles.....

pretty true

same old sad story with this topic, virgins talking about sex.

Monkey see, monkey do.

lol better just have us virgins talking about sex then us virgins abusing your little girl wink

back ontopic

for no fi

sounds great the msq would like to have one of those (the asq aswel as the msq) both sound great could use a nice hardware sequencer no its only cubase for me recently changed al my standalone gear (synths and drums with internal sequencers) for 19 inch. dont think it was a bad thing changing 2 19'' verry satisfied with my new sounds still i mis the hardware sequencing you think an asq would be a good main sequencer?

The ASQ-10 seems very solid. though it needs a tiny bit of TLC, I'll hopefully get it fixed today. Also it seems mine is running V1.0 (latest from akai is 2.10, and from r linn is 3.something) and acts a little strange in some places. Like, the LEDS relating to some of the menu buttons are not consistently lit and extinguished when I go through the menu pages?

It seems like there's stuff in the mpc2000 that I like, that the asq(and mpc 3000/60) doesn't do. But if it works out as a more solid and responsive sequencer, I can live with that. So yeah - I just need to get it tidied up, then plugged into the heart of my studio and see how it goes for a while.

Also it's the one piece of old gear I know of from akai that they don't have a manual for on their website. bah. the mpc60 manual seems very close though, and the menu system is very flat anyway, thanks to about 21 different menu buttons on the front panel so I should be OK.

I got an Ebbe und Flut coming in a few weeks.

i don't need the gear, the gear needs me 
http://www.mono-poly.nl/

ja hoor...

Thats a real badass filter mono, you gonna love the backsite of that thing smile

you got an MK1 or MK2?

1,714 (edited by mono-poly 2009-10-18 09:06:22)

MK1 but the deal was real nice.
I prepaid some cash now and gonna do the rest next week.

Now i can use my Behringer Ultrapatch again and get 2 1U blankpanels and a shitload off insert cables.

1,715 (edited by Septicstudio 2009-10-18 09:24:13)

ok awesome, MK1 has only a bit lower headroom and a little bit higher noisefloor, cant tell if its a big difference, but the MK2 is realy really silent when it comes to noise en hiss.

The filter itsself (all 24 of em) sounds very very crispy and hifi... i guess a bit the the mutronics mutator one.
It intregates so good in a modular set, it got lots of CV inputs but also cv out, like env cv out (bi-polar) S&H triggers, even the dynamic reduction (compressor) can generate a trigger.

Garry Chang loves it.
So i bet it's good anyway.

1,717 (edited by no-fi 2009-10-18 11:32:06)

well, today I fixed 4 buttons on the ASQ-10 - all good now. except I discovered the V1.0 ASQ-10 (and probably MPC-60?) system is a bit limited. you only have 16 MIDI channels available, and then you assign a channel to 1 of the 4 outputs... :-(

Later upgrades give you all 16 channels on each of the 4 outputs, which is what I want. So it looks like I need the firmware upgraded for that. bugger.

still.. I'm impressed with the basic operation of it as a sequencer.

so... anyone know at which firmware revision the mpc-60 got all 64 MIDI channels?

http://bmx.nu/re501.jpg

Come to papa, 501

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

good score!

Guess i dont have to tell you it sounds.. preeetty slicey!

(4000 sek, about 390e)

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

Nice one BMX but for that kind off monney i would go for a Zerotronics reverb instead.

you're missing the 301 now smile

mono-poly wrote:

Nice one BMX but for that kind off monney i would go for a Zerotronics reverb instead.

But a reverb is completly different than a Chorus/Echo ? big_smile

And arent those zerotronics verbs really spartan? As in no knobs (or very little etc) I mean this doesnt look really sexy.

http://zerotronics.com/mini-le/mini-le-full-30.jpg

My bad tape-echo ofcourse.

Yeah they are very basic just ins and outs.
But they sound real nice and it really depens on how hard you send it in and how much you amplify it back.
Real nice to experiment with specialy when you got different mic amps to use on the output.

I got a Mini-LE btw.

501 roland smile  just arived

http://www.syntheticarts-studio.com

Brain is CV controlled device!!!!!! so we all are analog sequenced machines!!!! " ROBOTS "