Re: Scariest moments lived by you

Not the scariest moment ever but.....

decided to walk down the stair well of the flats where I used to live, the stair well has doors to other peeps flats as you go down. Second to last floor door was open.

As I got to the bottom and the entrance, a very small old woman with a rain coat on, late 50s/early 60s jumped out from underneath the botttom stair well and went arrggghhhh with her hands in monster fashion, to give me a fright.

Fright! I screamed out! she looked like the freekin' dwarf killer in Don't Look Now! I shouted at her. "Why did you do that!!!"

The woman was really apologetic she thought I was her friend coming down the stair well.

It took me a good hour or two to calm my heart rate down!

Truly the most frightening sight and 'fright' I've had in a long time

http://www.bbc.co.uk/southyorkshire/content/images/2007/02/28/dwarf_170x255.jpg

HAHAHAHA.

Me and my brother went through a faze of scaring each other (this was like last year, not when we were 10 hmm)

He once staked out in my cupboard for a good 15 minutes then started croaking (think of the voice over the phone in 'ring')

slowly opening the cupboard and to top it all off he had this rubber monster mask on. damn near shat myself.

bionic.man wrote:

American bombers were rampaging over my country back in '99, and I remember 1 night they hit the rafinery in my city. The blast shook all the buildings and fire was so intense you could see as if it was broad daylight. They were really unloading on us that night. I dressed up quickly like the rest of my family and we started going down the stairs towards nuke shelters. Now, my mother is really frail, easily scared old woman and every time bomb exploded she would shake and started to scream. It just so happened that one of the bombs went off really close to our building and that scared the shit out of poor woman. She totally lost it and pushed me down the stairs thinking to move me faster. I lost balance, due to surprise and intesity of her push, and started rolling down the stairs. I was seriously scared I'll break my neck. But it turned allright, with few bruises.

Heavy stuff! Where are you from? (then again, where didn't the yanks bomb)

I was in advertising school and we were assigned a campaign for soap -- any kind of soap. I was teamed up with my friend and we decided to choose whatever soap they use for monkeys at the zoo. I called the zoo and was told that they don't have to wash the monkeys because primates are groomers and clean themselves. So I asked to speak to the guys in the Elephant House, and I arranged a meeting with them to ask about elephant washing -- mainly so we could get free admission to the zoo.

So we went to the zoo, got in free, and walked around for a while. We went to the Elephant House when it was time to meet, and sat down in a large, covered elephant corral attached to the side of a zoo building. The elephant man told us that they used a soap called Basic-H, and they washed the elephants every so often, the usual stuff. This went on for about 15 minutes. At the end of the interview the elephant handler asked if we had any more questions. Being a smart-ass, I pointed to a little door on the side of the building and asked, "What's in there?" "That's where we keep the lions. Come on, I'll show you." he said. I thought he was joking.

We were led through the little door and into a room with a caged wall. Another door led into a small caged area in the center of a room lined with compartments holding lions. In between the central cage and the lion cages was a 2m buffer area separating lions and people. We walked into the central cage. Now there were two layers of cages between us and the lions. "Wow, this is really cool, you can see the animals up close" I said. "Yeah, come on in", said the zookeeper as he led us into the buffer zone. Now there was only one layer of cage between the lions and us. I walked over to a cage which held a large, serious-looking male lion. I stared into his eyes. He was about 2m away from me, on the other side of a flimsy-looking cage. I wanted the lion to react to me somehow -- it wasn't enough that he was standing right there -- so I stared deep into his yellow eyes. He just stared back, indifferent. I started to make sudden movements with my arms and legs, trying to get him to flinch, but he just stood there, glaring at me. Finally I jumped forward suddenly, and the lion opened his jaws and let out a single blood-curdling roar. It was loud and to the point. My blood froze. It was the most primitive sensation of fear I have ever experienced, like the roar had reached a region of my brain unchanged for millions of years. My brain was telling me "Run up a tree, little monkey! Get away!". The zookeeper was amused.

We thanked the zookeeper and left. For the next half-hour, my heart was pounding. I was even shaking a little. Lesson learned: Don't fuck with the King of the Beasts.

30 (edited by heifetz 2008-11-08 17:17:51)

haha, don't mess with the cat king.

last night my friends and i found my 1st floor neighbour in a messed up state in my stairwell. he was bleeding from the mouth and his left trouser leg was black with blood. he'd been stabbed in the thigh. he couldn't tell who it was but i think he said it was a friend. we called the cops and ambulance. it's scary when something like that happens so close your own home.

Well, nice friend...

"Luc-Ass deserves every flack he gets. In fact, I think he's getting off pretty easy. What he REALLY Deserves is to go broke and be forced to move into a dumpster behind Pizza Hut."

meschi wrote:

.... needed a swift drink after that one

lol you woulda had a drink anyway

Vomatron wrote:

Well, nice friend...

friends finland style

I was just woken up by something smashing my bedroom window. It scared the hell out of me. My neighbour left their kid's trampoline leaning near the window and it smashed through the glass. Jesus.

Music is a beautiful opiate, if you don't take it too seriously.

I nearly fell off a cliff in West virginia a while ago..

we were camping in the appalachian & we decided to walk up that hill/Rock in the early evening.. night came and i missed a step or something, ah the sweet sensation of having nothing under your feet anymore...
hopefully at the exact same moment a Pine tree branch hit my face and as i was about to push it away i managed to grab it.. it saved me
my friends went WTF!!!! and they helped me out as i was hanging at the edge, but one had to crawl towards me while the other friend held his legs..like in a movie...

the scariest moment was the next day when i came back to see how deep would have been the fall..i threw a rock and it took a good 5 seconds to hit the bottom

*shivers*

i was visiting with my wife's sister and her boyfriend at the time, who was an ex motocross rider and dragster racer. i was riding one of his dirt motorbikes in this area with a few hills, just practicing on it and trying small jumps, when all of a sudden something comes flying at me, hits the back wheel of my bike and sends us both crashing down. turns out it was this guy on his motorcycle going up the hill i was riding on top to do a big jump. it was a blind hill, and he was as surprised to see me there on top as i was to see him come flying at me.
his bike was total loss, mine had a bent wheel and we both had some scratches and bruises. but if he hit me a few inches more to the front, i could have been dead, even wearing a helmet.. i'll never forget that moment when i saw this thing come flying out of the sky at me..

Gabe wrote:

Finally I jumped forward suddenly, and the lion opened his jaws and let out a single blood-curdling roar. It was loud and to the point. My blood froze. It was the most primitive sensation of fear I have ever experienced, like the roar had reached a region of my brain unchanged for millions of years. My brain was telling me "Run up a tree, little monkey! Get away!".

Had the same experience watching (and hearing!) salt water crocodiles meters away from an aluminium launch in Kakadu National Park.
I think T-rex would have sounded pretty similar.

I think the scariest moments I had we're in my imagination...you know: the fear of fear itself. The things you can be scared of are endless so it seems. I find also find it fascinating to overcome those fears.

"Are you loving?"

waking up next to your girlfriend, without make up.. could be my scariest moment

Vlam Aan

getting busted by the police, especially when you're 15 smile

I overcame my fear of fear

Most of mine took place in or around the United States....hmm

smoking a joint during lunch in high school and suddenly see cop cars racing towards you. jump into the woods only to realize you're surrounded so you throw your baggy away in a panic, continue to run for some reason until the cop cruiser pulls up and this cop with a grin of "you're fucking busted" gets out. They call backup to search for evidence. After school i walk back and the pot is just laying there....

or

traveling back into the US after 9/11 after being retroactively classified as an illegal alien (unrelated to above story) and getting a special sticker on my luggage stating i need to go for extra searches and questioning....

i no longer reside in the US

Got hit by a car today while riding my bike. luckily only my bike took damage, not me!
Was fuckin scary...but also cool somehow smile

44 (edited by Galliano 2009-08-21 16:15:15)

I might have told this story already on CBS but what the heck:

Back in 1994 I was up late watching the Soccer World Cup from USA on TV (Sweden did pretty well back then).
I was alone in my parents house, sitting in the "recreation room" typically found downstairs in a split-level house.
The TV room was in fact under ground level on the back of the house but to get some sunlight inside, there was a big pit/hole dug in the lawn to be able to use windows in the TV room.

The TV and sofa was placed directly under the window.

I sat there watching the game and thought I heard some sound. Whatever...
Then I heard it again and turned the volume off to listen. There was that strange sound again, now lowder.
Since I was home alone I got a bit scared. Was someone trying to break into the house?
Nah, I don't think so. Must be something outside. Strange though, in the middle of the night...
Then I heard the sound again, now very clear and close. Yes, it's in my house. Shit!

Then I heard the sound again, and realized it came from the window above the sofa/TV.
Holy smoke, was someone outside the window?
I stood up (did already perhaps) and looked outside.
It was in the middle of the night but in the end of June and the nights in Sweden at that time are not very dark.
I could clearly see the sky as a lighter background than the rest (walls of the pit/lawn/trees/other stuff).

If someone was in the pit I should easily be able to see the dark silhouette of that person.
But I saw noone...Perhaps I was mistaken of the sounds origin after all?
Then I heard the sound again. A very loud sharp sound as if someone was scratching the window glass with a knife (does that scratch? well this did).

Now I had goosebumps all over me and I was not only scared of the sound and someone (invisible) trying to break into my house but also of the fact that I might have gone completely mad.

There was no logic explanation, only:
1. Some invisible guy is trying to open the window from outside.
2. Some real person is trying to break in and I cannot see him since I hallucinate.
3. Noone is there but I imagine strange sounds
4. I was dreaming. No this was real for sure...

Option 1 didn't make sense, so I had clearly lost my mind.
I had not been using any drugs at all, not even alcohol, it's best to point out.

To make sure there was noone there, and to perhaps scare them off, I went for a flashlight.
I then lit out the window into where the sound came from.

I was horrified by the fact that I still couldn't see what was making that very sharp noise, that was now clearer then before and came from a very specific place.

There was noone there.

I had already accepted the fact that I had gone mad when I saw something moving outside the window.
Now I was able to pinpoint it and it took a couple of seconds before I noticed that it was: a hedgehog.

It had fallen into the pit and couldn't get up again.
I guess it went to the direction of the light from my TV and when it reached the window and rubbed the spikes against it, it caused that horrible scratching sound.

Since I expected something bigger making that loud noise, I didn't see the hedgehog.
And when I tried to light it up with my torch the light was somehow absorbed by the spikes and I couldn't focus the small animal.

I was glad I had got my mind back and went to put on some heavy gloves and helped my new friend up from the pit.
There was nothing to be afraid of, it turned out, but before I knew what was really going on I was scared to death.

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
All of my base,
Are belong to you.

nice story Galliano

cebteq wrote:

I overcame my fear of fear

You brave man....somehow I don't believe you. wink

"Are you loving?"

I was at a restaurant with a group of people for my friends birthday. Our private room was on the second floor. Because of the smoking ban you had to go downstairs and outside for a cigarette. So I went down after the meal. Just after I walked out the front door something fell on the ground right behind me. It was a big fuck off piece of solid wood that had been holding the second floor window open and it missed my head by inches. Eek! I looked up and saw the waiter at the window who was very freaked out.

and I thought the smoking ban was meant to be good for our health