Re: getting wax off records?

yeah, it must do.

fantomas wrote:

try with an electric iron and some filter paper ( maybe not too thick)

hmmm, don't try this at home.

wax melts quickly..i'm sure that with some filterpaper and iron atention  it will be removed

What happened with that record?

"Hey Sweden."
"They're Norwegian Mac."
http://weforfeit.blogspot.com.es/

how about geting beer off records? Or maybe just general cleaning instruction tips

"Luc-Ass deserves every flack he gets. In fact, I think he's getting off pretty easy. What he REALLY Deserves is to go broke and be forced to move into a dumpster behind Pizza Hut."

i always find lukewarm water with a dash of washing up liquid applied with a j cloth gives a nice deep clean.
rinse with straight water and dry with paper towel.

32 (edited by zora 2008-12-29 14:47:13)

just bought some isopropylalcohol 70 % to clean some of my records. i put some of it on a microfiber cloth, press it carefully against the record while its spinning, dry the record carefully with a hair-dryer (cold) and then go again over the record with another clean microfiber cloth. works pretty well actually.
edit: for dust and grease and such stuff.
edit edit: thx for the tip, herr 66.

.."this world`s a bubble"..

I got nail varnish on one of my records. Can't use acetone for obvious reasons sad Any ideas?

34 (edited by zora 2008-12-29 17:31:44)

[quote=Techn

@zora: youre welcome! though pure alcohol is a bit of an extravagance.. big_smile

best known mixture is 25% alcohol (preferrably 96% pure), 75% distilled water (tap water contains all kinds of crap and also has calcium) and some wetting agent to lower the surface tension of the water, so it can get all the way into the bottom of the groove. some people use dish soap, but the best thing is to get this stuff from a store that sells photo chemicals, you use it in a dark room if you print your own photos.

all commercial fluids you can buy are based on this mixture, usually with some mysterious ingredient ''X'' in it to justify the price.. big_smile for 20-30 euro you can buy enough of these basic materials to literally last you a lifetime..

if you get any weird stuff on your records, try this mix first.. or if you know something that'll clean the mess up, use that and immediately clean afterwards with alcohol/distilled water. sometimes if its something that hardens, you can try to make it even harder by putting ice cubes on it, then try to puill or scrape it off with your nail.. but there are some things that won't be removable, and you'll always hear it..

hehe, i knew i forgot something. though i couldnt figure out what it was anymore. wink but works well with the alcohol only, too, so.. big_smile

37 (edited by catweasel 2008-12-31 14:04:22)

i once had the same problem with wax.

solved it by taken a tissue, laying it on the spot with wax and holding a hair dryer over it for a few seconds. the wax should melt and flow into the tissue. help out by pushing the tissue onto the vinyl. do that several times and take 100 % alcohol afterwards to clean the vinyl.

that should work. after that i neither saw the wax nor heard it.

for all the rest i use this:

http://www.analogueseduction.net/acatal … at_400.jpg

i also mix the fluid by myself like ruud already explained.

hey ruud and other robots,

is it alright to clean your needles with a solution like that too? say using a tiny brush dipped in solution?

and catweasel, do you use that disco antistat thing like it's supposed to be used or do you just use the fluid with a lint free cloth? i've got one but i'm too lazy to set it up - i just use the fluid.