Re: worst concert/live perfomance and dj set

Yes, do tell about that Bunker soir

Do it your way, because everyone else is just weird.

they are not worthy. the good dj should and will most likely find another place. leave the asshole places to assholes.

...thats why this whole stupid DJ culture exist

that is nice said. dj culture is such a sorry nonsense. And why do you take it so seriously... I cannot understand it. Just do your best and have fun, with mp3 wav aiff vinyls or whatever you have.

mah

if you get a chance to see the reformed Suicide, pass on it. even if its free.

80 (edited by Sander 2008-08-13 22:33:57)

That Bunker party with mp3 robot was not really a success because Guy did not organized  the mp3's. So it could go from a slow to fast track, from oldscool hiphop to fast unit mobius acid. He was not too happy about the result and should have much more tracks and have them organized in genre and speed. I think he told me that back then.

I hate those populair dj's who get a ridicules amount of money. It's so stupid to pay so much money for a DJ.
Just get a local guy for a couple of bucks.

Critical Mass at club Palladium - Haaksbergen ('97). Only good thing of that performance was the local sound engineer who felt the Gabber resistance and faded away that playback show before hell broke loose.

When ms. Dana kicked in Dr. Macabre's - Poltergeist after that, things transformed in a good night after all.

Sogar die gr

82 (edited by Mr. Maximal 2008-08-14 09:19:13)

Edit: pointless drunk speak

mediengruppe telekomander. worst i ever experienced. they are utter shit. thank god there was some good bands at that event too.

Endfest wrote:

Critical Mass at club Palladium - Haaksbergen ('97). Only good thing of that performance was the local sound engineer who felt the Gabber resistance and faded away that playback show before hell broke loose.

When ms. Dana kicked in Dr. Macabre's - Poltergeist after that, things transformed in a good night after all.

Critical Mass for Christ sake......I luckely forgot about them but I've seen them at some rave in Zoetermeer....HORROR

85 (edited by dica 2008-08-15 11:18:11)

Communicator wrote:

There is nothing WRONG with it, but for me there is a certain charm that I think lacks in many jocks who use Ableton sets. It's perfect and sometimes it's more interesting to hear the little impressionistic brush strokes - flaws, struggles of a DJ doing their darndest to hold the beat. It's like watching a rodeo. Sometimes those software sets are like looking at grid paper. It boils down to taste and the philosophy of the both DJ/performer and listener.

Fully down with this. Although I think there's nothing wrong with new technologies. In my opinion there's nothing more boring than a dj mixing with ableton and looking at him while he's falling asleep behind his laptop. I want to hear and see an artist using his both hands and ears. Listening to a dj doing a great job mixing difficult styles or long sets makes me appreciate the whole thing more and inspires me to do the same thing.

Adding to this. A lot of known djs are overpayed I think. Just because they're good producers they are booked for dj sets while they're not pretty good at it...

And back to the topic: Monika Kruse sucked bigtime @ awake fest this year. Among a lot of other boring minimal techno dj's, she was the number one of suckage... bad mixing, and playing hits like latin lovers...

detroit area was great though [May, Pullen, Saunderson]

bias wrote:
seutek wrote:

Serato sucks, mp3's suck more ....

just because it's too advanced for you doesn't mean it sucks

This is an opinion site, right ?
For me it sucks. I am an open minded vinyl dj who sometimes tries something else but i refuse to make mp3's, wav's or work with final scratch, serrato or similar programs. Why should i ? Because i don't have to carry a heavy recordbag ? I am not lazy and i own a recordbag on wheels ! Also a dj spinning vinyl looks better than a mouse clicker. Advance doesn't always mean progression.

Acta est fabula....

Very true. But i guess 99% of the general audience does not care if the sound comes from vinyl, laptop, cd or whatever. They just drug up and partieeeeee...

thing is, some of these systems are pretty decent when used in conjunction with control vinyls. you don't have to like the automatic beat matching features applications like ni traktor offer to still appreciate and own one like me. the handling is almost the same (loading your decks by mouse klick instead of pulling out a record) when using control vinyls. i always play in conjunction with a pretty well endowed record bag/crate anyways and i get the option to play stuff that i don't don't own on vinyl because it's either too scarce or too expensive (everything > 100 USD). technological advance is (partly) freeing myself from a second hand vinyl market with increasingly ridiculous prices.

but i'm getting way off topic.

seutek wrote:
bias wrote:
seutek wrote:

Serato sucks, mp3's suck more ....

just because it's too advanced for you doesn't mean it sucks

This is an opinion site, right ?
For me it sucks. I am an open minded vinyl dj who sometimes tries something else but i refuse to make mp3's, wav's or work with final scratch, serrato or similar programs. Why should i ? Because i don't have to carry a heavy recordbag ? I am not lazy and i own a recordbag on wheels ! Also a dj spinning vinyl looks better than a mouse clicker. Advance doesn't always mean progression.

Goes for me too. It's also the whole hobby thing, collecting vinyl and playing it. Having a track on vinyl feels different than having the same track burned on some cd or stuffed somewhere on a harddrive, doesn't work for me.

"Seeing" a track by looking at the grooves instead of looking at parameters.... i've tried the digital road, as an addition to vinyl, but it's not progression in my eyes...

Mr. Maximal wrote:

Very true. But i guess 99% of the general audience does not care if the sound comes from vinyl, laptop, cd or whatever. They just drug up and partieeeeee...

It also depends on the DJ. Last month I saw Stacey Pullen doing a set on 3 cd players and it was great. It was a dynamic set, his hands were moving as if his life was depending on it, using all the options the cd players had to offer... great stuff to watch and great to listen to.

dica wrote:
Communicator wrote:

There is nothing WRONG with it, but for me there is a certain charm that I think lacks in many jocks who use Ableton sets. It's perfect and sometimes it's more interesting to hear the little impressionistic brush strokes - flaws, struggles of a DJ doing their darndest to hold the beat. It's like watching a rodeo. Sometimes those software sets are like looking at grid paper. It boils down to taste and the philosophy of the both DJ/performer and listener.

And back to the topic: Monika Kruse sucked bigtime @ awake fest this year. Among a lot of other boring minimal techno dj's, she was the number one of suckage... bad mixing, and playing hits like latin lovers...

detroit area was great though [May, Pullen, Saunderson]

Ah well She looks good, cant remember a thing of what She played the times I saw Her.
But thats probably My tall girl fantasy smile

hehe... another -not so tall- one should also do well for you then... ida engberg smile

i saw her a few months ago and i must say that, although that polular minimal-techno stuff it's not my thing, i wasn't dissapointed. Only thing was that she moves similar like a doll in a shopwindow.

Ive got a cool photo of Me an Her backstage at a suck-ass festival (tomorrowland/B)
I'm small and She's tall. it looks damn funny hehe

Anywayz: minimal sets are the worst. Fuse in brussels was so nice years ago and now its good to go to when You've got problems falling asleep.. 

(off topic, did I ever gave You those I.D.'s Dica? kdenk dat ik da vergeten ben..)

Saw Jeff Mills last time he was in Chicago, 2 turntables, 2 CD players, 1 mixer, 1 TR-909. The man is an octopus! Fingers blurred. His music would start to go off-beat but he'd fix quickly. The most intense set I've ever been to.

To stay on topic: Worst set was the freakin dork who opened up for The Juan McLean once at Smartbar earlier this year. Laptop set. Shit-eating-grin, hi-fiving his just-as-dorky friends every time he threw in a new track. Shitty MP3 audio on a good revealing system. Utter bollocks.

On the other side, I wouldn't mind using software with control vinyls for a lot of good stuff (like EDITS tongue) that's coming out recently but doesn't exist on vinyl.

Do it your way, because everyone else is just weird.

if you come see me than you have a  good example of worst dj set. I always forget something

SUY wrote:

(off topic, did I ever gave You those I.D.'s Dica? kdenk dat ik da vergeten ben..)

haha, kwil ze nog steeds erg graag hebben!

Juan Atkins @ Elbo Room in SF a few weeks ago.

To be honest, I've never heard a good dj set from him from the 4 or 5 times i've seen him. At least he's consistant wink

This is Drexciyan Cruise Control Bubble 1 to Lardossan Cruiser 8 dash 203 X. Please decrease your speed to 1 point 788 point 4 kilobahn. Thank you. Lardossan Cruiser 8 dash 203 X please use extra caution as you pass the aqua contruction site on the side of a aquabahn. I repeat: Proceed with Caution.

98 (edited by Squadra Smackos 2008-08-17 00:43:18)

I saw Juan play a few weeks ago, he played Transformer 2 - Pacific Harmony that was pretty awesome and unexpected...

edit: Ow I think the name is Pacific Symphony not Harmony

In Malta, I presume.
Many of my mates said that he was a bit flat too, but then again...

100 (edited by Squadra Smackos 2008-08-17 00:38:02)

Yeah, it wasn't spectaculair but he played some nice songs. Rolando was a bit more tight or something, he mixed really fresh and some amazing songs like Shades of Jae and that Synthetic Flemm song from Theo Parrish, that one is a giant banger http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=C249-z-DuCM