Re: worst concert/live perfomance and dj set

Sander wrote:

Every "liveset" with only a laptop.

don't make it all that elitist, sure watching good musicians on stage turning knobs and improvising is a pleasure, but i've seen uber crap performances with tons of gear on stage and then had amazing fun watching and listening to a guy that used nothing but a mic and a laptop with cock rock dico written on it.
anthony rother a few years ago, with a set up built up all around him, really impressive, almost like jean michel jarre, then served 45 minutes of utter bull*, popkiller singalongs, i don't even remember him using any of his gear really, just his white sneakers and a poseur smile, a thank you and good night. whereas jason forest aka donna summer slammed all over the stage, i still don't know how that little macbook of his survived it all.

Sander wrote:

I think Aphex Twin did a liveset with only laptop or maybe with midi keyboard and that rocked pretty damn good.

S.T.E.N.T.E.C. wrote:
Sander wrote:

I think Aphex Twin did a liveset with only laptop or maybe with midi keyboard and that rocked pretty damn good.

you're not talking by any chanve about the liveset he did at the paard maybe 2-3 years ago? sometime in november, as part of that festival (name escapes me right now) at the paard.

Yes that one @ State-X festival.

state-x, right. was there. aphex twin's set blew me away, pure madness!

i went to the festival twice i think. was always worth the (long) trip from switzerland. also saw sonic youth and mono play basically one after the other. mono also blew my brains out.

Yes that set was amazing. Tuss stuff being played and acid sounds all over the place. Very nice.
The festival in general is also pretty cool. Always some big acts mixed with all sorts of obscure bands/performers doing performances playing guitar with towels and hightec folk or whatever.... Always suprises.

ice wrote:

DETROIT GRAND PUBAHS

This is mine too.

depress the repress

Mr. Satellite wrote:
ice wrote:

DETROIT GRAND PUBAHS

This is mine too.

Too bad they've gone on a minimal trip. Really liked that first album. Stick to the booty/ghetto tech/electro/(p-)funk!

Honey, in the morning the bees are singing and the birds are stinging in an open head surgery.

really sad to say this, but dexters live set last weekend at panorama bar. i didn`t know he is into berlin techno nowadays.

credit_00 wrote:

really sad to say this, but dexters live set last weekend at panorama bar. i didn`t know he is into berlin techno nowadays.

dexters = bangkoks = puh bahs = ...   it is like a bad virus wink

discogs sales 
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise.'" - JOHN PEEL (1939 - 2004)

Don't know how his live set is but that record he put out on Klakson late last year is brilliant (with the choir ah aaah ah...like a bit stardust meets detroit), I actually think he sounds better then before.

most laptop-sets are worst...

Robothek - radio for robettes and robots www.facebook.com/robothek

i heard the worst sets ever this seasen in GOA - unfortunately psychedelic trance has now turned completely into 148 bpm gabber sound ... so bad ... but what is even worser: everybody in GOA who is not into trance is now a minimal DJ - thousands of lame DJs with a laptop and one million bad mp3s with fucking minimal techno - a nightmare ...

i hate soccer

haha

165 (edited by JamesTRubotnik 2009-03-11 14:47:28)

no offense, dolcevita, but to be honest i would run giant circles around places like that anyways

and if it's just because i hate hippies

166 (edited by dolcevita 2009-03-11 15:19:13)

i know i know - but every robot knows:
i love GOA smile
but not for the music
and i love hippies more than ever ... especially after my return to FFM and my first german clubnight with hundreds of stupid fashion assholes around ...

i hate soccer

167 (edited by Technicolor 2009-03-11 15:20:30)

Was just about to write the same thing as JamesTRubotnik, what did you expect - it's Goa? lol

168 (edited by JamesTRubotnik 2009-03-11 16:34:00)

dolcevita wrote:

clubnight with hundreds of stupid fashion assholes around ...

i hate those too. unless they pay to see me big_smile

but generally i am not a hateful person. everybody who really knows me will confirm that. just use some kitchen psychology and you'll know where my "hatred" comes from...

on a side note: i was into goa (as in music) a long time ago, before i finally reached the age of consent and reason.

169 (edited by Central Services 2009-04-18 08:30:04)

Central Services wrote:

damn it, what happened the the days of good Goa

indeed...
in the 90ies it was pure magic...

but see my pics (hope to post them on weekend)

still a great place...

i hate soccer

the absolute worst concert ive seen was Monster Magnet, opening for Rob Zombie..
it comes as a huge surprise i heard them on IFM the other day..when i saw them open, they got booed off the stage, people threw shit at them..

moby is god awful too. i think his music is alright but live, he literally just hit a play button and ran around on stage. i'm told BT actually does the same thing with his live shows (press play)..

On the other end of the spectrum, I heard Simian Mobile Disco is one of the best live electronic shows in recent years. I have yet to see them live though.
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2047/2262678319_c6c5ffc8a4_o.jpg

http://digitaldj.wordpress.com/2008/10/ … nt-set-up/
http://www.glidemagazine.com/articles/5 … disco.html

Do it your way, because everyone else is just weird.

acidcat wrote:

the absolute worst concert ive seen was Monster Magnet, opening for Rob Zombie..
it comes as a huge surprise i heard them on IFM the other day..when i saw them open, they got booed off the stage, people threw shit at them..

if i was there i probably would've been arrested. i love those guys, although what the fuck they were doing with rob zombie is beyond me

keep hackney crap

I love them too.
Are they that bad live? WTF?

SIMIAN MOBILE DISCO were great - unless the started playing new rave ....

i hate soccer