Re: Coming soon: 6 New Bunker 3000 releases!!

Why should Bunker link the prices of the records they sell to the manufacture costs?,
its not a non profit organisation

INTERFUNK wrote:

the releases were posted on discogs before the releasedate - so the info might be not correct!

mine is correct, with tracklist too.
http://www.discogs.com/Composite-Profus … se/1749768

Broken Pots Hunter

hyboid wrote:

..hmm who cares if it

80 (edited by Ray Van Mechelen 2009-05-02 22:18:44)

see it that way: now you don`t have to turn the record when you want to listen to the 4 tracks wink

I don`t care, they will get a warm welcome when they arrive, can`t wait!

"A Real Music Hater"

don't know if it is a single-sider (is it?), but here's one good reason not to press 4 tracks on one side: sound quality

4 tracks on one side sound not as hard in volume and they will probably lack bass

for a 33 rpm record the maximum time on one side without losing sound quality is around 12 minutes

45 rpm is between 8 and 10 minutes

some variety in tempo on that DuracelSchmerzlabor record, fun to mix!

the new bunkers are all really good (at least the 4 i got, el. pt 1s, beta evers, and schmerzlaborduracel). pretty dark and not summer music really, except maybe late night in some dank basement somewhere. quality shit though

join my happiness

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m203/djkuczera/Afb152.jpg

Vlam Aan

85 (edited by Sander 2009-05-05 11:38:14)

Nukubot wrote:

don't know if it is a single-sider (is it?), but here's one good reason not to press 4 tracks on one side: sound quality

4 tracks on one side sound not as hard in volume and they will probably lack bass

Bunker boss would say, you have a volume knob to fix that. I totally agree. It's just nice to
have a record with multiple songs for the same money as you could have 2 tracks which sound louder.
Not everyone is playing records only in the disco.

Sander wrote:
Nukubot wrote:

Bunker boss would say, you have a volume knob to fix that. I totally agree. It's just nice to
have a record with multiple songs for the same money as you could have 2 tracks which sound louder.
Not everyone is playing records only in the disco.

artistically you're right: it's the choice of the label "boss" to do whatever pleases him and I've always loved Bunker for those idiosyncratic choices

but technically you're wrong: if you're talking about the pro's and cons of pressing lots of minutes on one side, you can't escape the technical fact: more minutes on one side and you'll lose not only volume but also sound quality

neither can be compensated with the "volume knob"

lots of people play their records at home AND on a soundsystem, so when you choose to press lots of tracks on one side, you simply have to accept that it gets less played on a soundsystem

this choice between "more music minutes" or "more sound quality" for your money is something every label "boss" is thankfully free to make

as label "boss" myself I say: I want people to play it at home as well as in a club, so I prefer a balance between sound quality and "music minutes"

and I also say: thankfully the Bunker "boss" makes his own choices, his punk "fuck you with your sound quality" attitude is a big part of the charm of Bunker and it's what makes Bunker special

..got them today - like B3 from composite profuse very much - also schmerzlabor/duracel is a nice BEST OF in my opinion for freax who have missed the old work...

Orgel!

Nukubot wrote:

but technically you're wrong: if you're talking about the pro's and cons of pressing lots of minutes on one side, you can't escape the technical fact: more minutes on one side and you'll lose not only volume but also sound quality

Not only volume, your recordplayer skips more often (especially in clubs with big soundsystems near the turntables).
I say always stick to the 12 min rule (unless you're releasing a LP)

89 (edited by Sander 2009-05-06 13:32:22)

baz wrote:

Not only volume, your recordplayer skips more often (especially in clubs with big soundsystems near the turntables).
I say always stick to the 12 min rule (unless you're releasing a LP)

yes, but an LP is nice. 12 min is not much. And releasing an LP on 2 records costs much more.

So, is Shibari now one-sided or double-sided?

doube-sided

Orgel!

hyboid wrote:

..hmm who cares if it

TB or not TB

93 (edited by hyboid 2009-05-06 14:56:18)

actually, the price for manufacturing is (almost) the same: you still need; a sleeve, vinyl, labels, distribution, etc etc..
(only one groove is missing) .

Not true. Just check with price schedules of pressing companies. Lacquer cut and stamper manufacturing are calculated per side, not per track. You save huge amounts by making a release single-sided.

BTW we're talking about a white label release here with plastic sleeve, so no printing cost (except for that inlay).

hyboid wrote:

actually, the price for manufacturing is (almost) the same: you still need; a sleeve, vinyl, labels, distribution, etc etc..
(only one groove is missing) .

Not true. Just check with price schedules of pressing companies. Lacquer cut and stamper manufacturing are calculated per side, not per track. You save huge amounts by making a release single-sided.

BTW we're talking about a white label release here with plastic sleeve, so no printing cost (except for that inlay).

but how on earth does that save you 50% on a total release?

even if the lacquer is 50% of the total costs you still need to cut, master and produce one...

TB or not TB

I was talking about "manufacturing", that means what they do in the pressing plant, not mastering, producing etc.
If you look at the costs of very small production runs (like in this case 100 copies), lacquer and stamp make up the lion's share of the costs. The rest is really almost negligible.

hyboid wrote:

I was talking about "manufacturing", that means what they do in the pressing plant, not mastering, producing etc.
If you look at the costs of very small production runs (like in this case 100 copies), lacquer and stamp make up the lion's share of the costs. The rest is really almost negligible.

but manufacturing isnt the only element in releasing a record wich sets the final price... and pressing 100 or 500 doesnt matter that much because the machine has to run anyway, that few records more dont cost that much extra..

In my experience you need to sell at least 300 copies (with the price most distributions pay) to break even on a production of 500.

but maybe this is the wrong topic to discuss this subject...

TB or not TB

it's 0,78 per disc at Record Industry, so the difference between pressing 100 and 500 is 400 x 0,78 = 312 euro

but do they press amounts of 100 records (new minimum?) for the same price a piece as 500?

TB or not TB

Wonder when we'll hit the 'limited edition 5 copies only' runs.

Do it your way, because everyone else is just weird.

Freek wrote:

No its not, you only have to cut one laquer, instead of two, 1 is about 175 euro no mater how much you press off it,  much more than labels & sleeves combined. Labels are about 45 euros for 1100 pairs (the minimum run) sleeves are about 10/20 cents each. If you press 200 copies the difference in price is about 35%. That's why the creme jaks were single sided, you can press small amounts and still keep the price reasonable.

There is no real minimum at record industry, especially for test pressings, but If you wanna press under 500 of a normal run you have to pay an extra fee of 90 euros, which makes printing 400 or 500 copies cost about equal. So Nukubus' calculation is only partially right as the difference in pressing 100 and 500 is 400 x 0,78 = 312 euro -90 euro extra = 222 euro

But you're right, on a press of 500 copies you have to at least sell 300 in normal distribution to break even on the manufacturing. On smaller pressings the break even only gets worse, let alone making a modest profit (which is nice for the artists and to keep the label afloat).

Pages Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 Next

You must login or register to post a reply

Robots for Robots → New Releases → Coming soon: 6 New Bunker 3000 releases!!

Currently used extensions: pun_approval, pun_admin_add_user. Copyright © 2009 PunBB