Re: Program to calculate the value of your record collection

rude66 wrote:

i think the biggest problem with that biggest collection in the world is not the money, but the room.. you'd have to rent a warehouse to put all that stuff in, and a big one too.. i'm sure many collectors are interested, but it's just too much.. maybe he should try to sell it in parts..

i think another problem is that a large part of the collection is probably totally uninteresting for a lot of people and has no or little value.

raoul wrote:
rude66 wrote:

i think the biggest problem with that biggest collection in the world is not the money, but the room.. you'd have to rent a warehouse to put all that stuff in, and a big one too.. i'm sure many collectors are interested, but it's just too much.. maybe he should try to sell it in parts..

i think another problem is that a large part of the collection is probably totally uninteresting for a lot of people and has no or little value.

Yes, but to the majority of people the same is true of Italo, etc. I personally have no interest in (for example) "jug bands" but I'm sure there's some freaks out there wink
Also I think most peoples' collections has stuff of little or no value (i know mine does).

hysteric wrote:
raoul wrote:
rude66 wrote:

Yes, but to the majority of people the same is true of Italo, etc. I personally have no interest in (for example) "jug bands" but I'm sure there's some freaks out there wink
Also I think most peoples' collections has stuff of little or no value (i know mine does).

off course, but come on:

every genre has it's good stuff but this just has to have a lot of CRAP

EliasRafael wrote:

AVG is 305000 lol, but 1500 or so without price.

man, I'm speacheless, is that all italo?

most complicated robot wrote:
EliasRafael wrote:

is that all italo?

lol

Plat0r wrote:

fascinating...and useless....

Pretty much sums up what I think about this program (it's running right now).  It's more a novelty than anything else, especially since I don't list doubles in my collection, nor do many of the records/cds have values yet (or are even listed in Discogs).  Still amusing to see though smile

EliasRafael wrote:

lo, I would go mad if it was. Mostly boring techno, but also some nice new wave records

Europa has burned, and will burn again

I think there should be a program like this that uses recent market price history and ended ebay listings/popsike. that would make some more sense.
I think actually this might be useful for getting a special insurance for your records, it might be what it was made for i suspect. After all it calculates to some degree the replacement value of your collection. Off course it still excludes the time it takes to find, order, pick up etc..etc...

raoul wrote:

Off course it still excludes the time it takes to find, order, pick up

Actually, if the prices are based on auction prices, it doesn't. This price would include all of these emotional / intangible values and transform them into a monetary value. It's a basic market principle. The transaction itself makes the price, it is not set, so its quite an optimal form for the market mechanism to set a price..

i really don't care about the value
i buy records to play and for the fun of it, cause i'm a musicfreak. I don't see it as an investment
Once in a while i think it over ( mostly when i'm depressed ) about selling some

useally it goes away

so no artefect calculation for me

Vlam Aan

61 (edited by raoul 2009-04-15 09:08:12)

Starborough wrote:
raoul wrote:

Off course it still excludes the time it takes to find, order, pick up

Actually, if the prices are based on auction prices, it doesn't. This price would include all of these emotional / intangible values and transform them into a monetary value. It's a basic market principle. The transaction itself makes the price, it is not set, so its quite an optimal form for the market mechanism to set a price..

Time is not emotional, let alone intangible, I can quite easily put a pricetag on my time, how much do you want?
But still it takes time to find items on ebay, order them pick them up, or the insurance should include a purchasing service that would do the work in case of loss.

You have an hourly fee for your leisure time? What did you charge your parents for your visit to their easter brunch? wink

My point is, that these costs (time, ordering, picking, memories when a record was played, talks you had with your friends, whatever that you already invested in your collection or is connected to it for you) is being quantified through the auction system. Its one of the most accurate systems we know untill now to express these otherwise hard to express values.

Hypothetically: You are a big Gerard Joling enthousiast and have collected all single versions of No More Boleros through the years, have them in neat plastic bags and in a nice order in a closet. The time you spent enjoying the collection, the hours on ebay, the fanatic recording of Gerard Joling Tros performances on your VHS, all this has cost money, but it also gained you utility. You were willing to pay monetary costs and opportunity costs for the collecting and enjoyment of the record. When you auction these records, the assumend excess utility, what you expect to gain from it in the future, is being set into a price. This includes the possible enjoyment you get out of playing the record, putting it on a different place on your shelf, looking at the sleeve, whatever.

If you are a completist and have THE no more boleros collection of NL but want to get rid of it, the chances are quite big you'll get a good price for it, just because it is so complete. The excess utility of your collection is high and being rewarded by the market. Another true fan is seeing expecting that his investment will lead to enough utility for him to meet your reserve price, or pay even more for it.

You are selling the future enjoyment of your records, takoing into account an intangible value: the cost of you parting with the records.. This is a quantification of the time and love you invested.

63 (edited by raoul 2009-04-15 09:55:36)

Starborough wrote:

You have an hourly fee for your leisure time? What did you charge your parents for your visit to their easter brunch? wink

My point is, that these costs (time, ordering, picking, memories when a record was played, talks you had with your friends, whatever that you already invested in your collection or is connected to it for you) is being quantified through the auction system. Its one of the most accurate systems we know untill now to express these otherwise hard to express values.

Hypothetically: You are a big Gerard Joling enthousiast and have collected all single versions of No More Boleros through the years, have them in neat plastic bags and in a nice order in a closet. The time you spent enjoying the collection, the hours on ebay, the fanatic recording of Gerard Joling Tros performances on your VHS, all this has cost money, but it also gained you utility. You were willing to pay monetary costs and opportunity costs for the collecting and enjoyment of the record. When you auction these records, the assumend excess utility, what you expect to gain from it in the future, is being set into a price. This includes the possible enjoyment you get out of playing the record, putting it on a different place on your shelf, looking at the sleeve, whatever.

If you are a completist and have THE no more boleros collection of NL but want to get rid of it, the chances are quite big you'll get a good price for it, just because it is so complete. The excess utility of your collection is high and being rewarded by the market. Another true fan is seeing expecting that his investment will lead to enough utility for him to meet your reserve price, or pay even more for it.

You are selling the future enjoyment of your records, takoing into account an intangible value: the cost of you parting with the records.. This is a quantification of the time and love you invested.

Well, if you're the only 'No more bolero's' collector nobody would want to buy your collection at auction, does this make your efford worthless? To the rest of the world, yes, and maybe rightly so (i'm more of a 'Ticket to the tropics' kind of person) but to you as a person, no. And since i was referring to insurance and replacement, this should maybe include the actual purchasing of the items. Since you've allready had the leisure of the collecting, you might just want your collection back after a fire. Although this will off course not include the 'no more bolero's' signed with a personal message by gerard on that saaturday morning in '84 on the Tros Familiedag. But i think Gerard would gladly replace it with an even better message for a reasonable fee, maybe even for free if it gets him some publicity.

You are a big Gerard Joling enthousiast and have collected all single versions of No More Boleros through the years, have them in neat plastic bags and in a nice order in a closet.

i would definately keep that in the closet if i'd have such a collection.

About hourly rate, this is off course dependent on the activity.
if i get invited to my parents for dinner, i'm not charging anything.
if you invite me to you birthday, i'm not charging anything.
if you book me for a festival, i'll charge.
if someone asks me to program a nice internet app, ill charge.

Ok, so we agree that the costs of your time are depending on the activity and the utility you gain from it yourself.
Sometimes the invested time is leading to a lot of utility for yourself, you charge less, or are getting other values in return (social value in case of a birthday or family meeting) that would be ruined if you'd charge even a little.
Again, the market is very well capable to put a price tag on the invested time. An auction is one of the most pure forms of the market mechanism that we now know.

Re: insurance prices. You argue that this system (calculating your collections value through past auction prices) leads to a decent valuation for insurance purposes. I agree.

You argue that these auction prices do not take into account the opportunity costs invested in the collection. I disagree, for the reasons written above.

This is my favorite Joling B-side

if i get invited to my parents for dinner, i'm charging food.
if you invite me to you birthday, i'm charging cake and beer.
if you book me for a festival, i'll be happy if I get payed.
if someone asks me to program a nice internet app, ill have to say I can't.

wink

sorry for spamming in this toppic, but I'm just a little bored at work and would rather be outside drinking a beer at one of Delfts "grachten" (wat jij Raoul?)

baz wrote:

if i get invited to my parents for dinner, i'm charging food.
if you invite me to you birthday, i'm charging cake and beer.
if you book me for a festival, i'll be happy if I get payed.
if someone asks me to program a nice internet app, ill have to say I can't.

wink

sorry for spamming in this toppic, but I'm just a little bored at work and would rather be outside drinking a beer at one of Delfts "grachten" (wat jij Raoul?)

eens, maar ik kan er niet tussenuit, moet nu echt weer wat gaan doen.

ja, ik ook niet, heb zo een vergadering sad maar de gedachte was leuk

I actually suspected you only move for money baz wink

EliasRafael wrote:
EliasRafael wrote:

... but also some nice new wave records

is there a word for a double understatement? Only the tradelist you sent me some time ago would make a lot of synth collectors boasting with pride :-)

I actually suspected you only move for money baz wink

No wrong: only for food and beer... money is just a way to get it wink

This valuation thing is just another cock measuring competition.

Not very cool folks.

You're Fucking Out, I'm Fucking In

if i had 10 inches i would boast about it

keep hackney crap

iamelectron wrote:

This valuation thing is just another cock measuring competition.

Not very cool folks.

It's just a bit of fun, and to work out how much you wasted over the years that could have bought the trappings of a "normal" life.

byron wrote:

if i had 10 inches i would boast about it

If I had 10 inches I

You're Fucking Out, I'm Fucking In

there is always time to go onto an internet forum and boast off about your 10"