Re: Dumbest questions (or comments) you received while DJing

could you please play some techno mit stimme? -> back in the mid 90's when techno hardly had any voices to offer...

maybe not the dumbest question but  the dumbest invition to dj,some  soccerteam asked me to dj at newyears eve the dresscode was disco so i had two crates off disco with me not the unkwown stuff but all the classics, after 3 records they started to ask for de regenboog (of that dutch gay tv presentator forgot his name) and the questions keep coming ,it ended up with a guy who grabbed 20 cd's out of his car and i had to dj with that(knuffelrock and similar cd's)
the year after they asked me again,i said no

for me it wa the other way around, asking the dj to play house at high school dances.  the closest they got was 'soul II soul'

Bankie Phones wrote:

I was doing a live pa at house party once with a drum machine, and two samplers and some drunk dude kept on requesting Brittany Spears Toxic. He wasn't being ironic, he was totally srs.

that happened to me too - I was playing live with an mpc, synths and whatnot and a redneck guy came up and asked me if i had any stones or skynard.  but that's what you get when you play at a moose lodge in north dakota

spookie wrote:

de regenboog (of that dutch gay tv presentator forgot his name) and the questions keep coming ,it ended up with a guy who grabbed 20 cd's out of his car and i had to dj with that(knuffelrock and similar cd's)
the year after they asked me again,i said no

You mean Paul de Leeuw, I think. Sounds pretty horrific. You could have told them to hire a jukebox to put in their knuffelrock!

"Are you loving?"

ramos wrote:

I was asked to play the Benny Hill Show theme song not long ago...

that is a good request. You should have played it smile

57 (edited by score100 2009-04-20 23:09:55)

dunno how many people here are familiar with drum n bass, but back then when I used to dj it I got loads of (refused) requests every night to play tracks by 'pendulum', the most horrific pop-dnb ever.

And the usual stuff-
"can't you play something more faster" - in a small bar and we're doing an ambient/experimental night hmm
"can you play sonmething more uplifting"
" dont you have something more chilling"
People are never satisfied smile

edit:
oh yeah and concerning remake and original,
I remember a guy saying while "passion" by the flirts being played, "ah its only a remix"...probably referring to felix da housecats electroclashtrack who uses the sample of it.

58 (edited by EliasRafael 2009-04-20 23:08:55)

can remove the drone from the bass?

was it a good question?

Europa has burned, and will burn again

There was this girl that showed up at our Friday night in Atlanta every week for a year and a half, presumably just to tell us how much we sucked.

Also got roped into this 18+ gig a few years back at this rock bar in Jacksonville FL where they had a paper and pen next to the DJ booth where kiddies could come up and write down the songs they wanted to hear...Needless to say, I had none of it.

hysteric wrote:

You haven't made it as a DJ in Oz until you've been asked for this at least once:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmyEv4n8ERI[/youtube]
(finally happened to me last year, I was stoked)

it's all cause youre playing that Rah Band lp

dumbest one i had was a cop (you could clearly see his uniform under a white hooded swetshirt) asking me if i can
point out to him someone that sell ee's cause he feels like having a big night

'Sing while you may - lullabies for the new dark ages'

61 (edited by MITO1982 2009-04-21 18:46:24)

jimmy jazz wrote:

"could you play some Beyonc

Those were the days...

not really a dumb question/comment,, but still:

(gay) owner of one of the spots a friend & me play at kinda regularly: "you know, you don't have to play all this gay music (mostly italo that night) just because i'm here!" haha, but we love to smile

apart from that, there were just too many dumb request/comments. we get that almost every time we play, but it seems you just gotta live with it when playing niche music... but as long as the organisers like it and book us again and there are at least some poeple that understand the music, no problem.

yeah but the out of context/chart ones are always bad! requesting ac/dc or britney at 4 in the morning after six hours of disco/italo/house.. wtf? haha. even worse when (drunk) people get really unfriendly and just won't quit bugging you. "come on, why don't you have that? everyone has it. play it! what kinda dj are you anyway if you don't have that"
- "i just said no, i don't have it"
-"i bet youre lieing to me! you have it and just don't want to play it!  you ass!" and then they stumble away and end up with their elbows in the turntables making it all skip and what not. one time we even had to get someone thrown out because of stuff ike this.
this was also horrible:
while the track was still "hip", we got asked to play l

- Could you play Barry Manilow - Copacabana?
- Sorry, I didn't bring that one with me. (standard answer to idiots)
- Ok, can I look through your records?
- No.

His excited eyes from within the dark interior glazed;
watered in appreciation of his thoughtful preparation.

64 (edited by herman13 2009-04-21 22:41:41)

didn't happen to me, but alltime kiel classic: house party, 1996, peak of party, 100 people dancing, barefoot hippie girlie: "spiel mal portishead, ich tanz dann auch !" "please play portishead, i'd dance then !" (suboptimal translation)

2002, "i'm a disco baby" disco dance classics, guy that wasn't allowed to talk to me but only to my trainee: "i do work at karstadt, i do know thousands of people !   can i take a look into his case ?   bla, bla, bla..."

not entirely stupid, but a request that got me a bit startled.

Playing at a generic "retro" party, where you hear anything from rocknroll oldies to prodigy etc. I got in there last minute to play a set of italo. I was playing maybe two or three instrumentals in a row somehow, and a girl came up and said, "Play something with vocal, it's a retro party". Kind of weird, but somehow eventually it made sense to me with that crowd.

When the Novamen were performing live at Our DR party in Antwerp, 16 year olds were complaining to Me
that I put "electro" on the flyer  and they wanted their money back cause Novamen was absolutely no electro..

WTF yikes

on sunday i got
you have any dr dre?
i actually did have world class wreckin cru - surgery already cued up,
so i said it's next (really)
instantly they say "what the fuck is this shit?"

black shape wrote:

on sunday i got
you have any dr dre?
i actually did have world class wreckin cru - surgery already cued up,
so i said it's next (really)
instantly they say "what the fuck is this shit?"

Great! Learn those ignorants some history.

Honey, in the morning the bees are singing and the birds are stinging in an open head surgery.

Albion wrote:

- No.

Slight variation on this:

- No.

I turn around a second later to find her looking through my records.

70 (edited by baz 2009-04-22 10:56:27)

SUY wrote:

When the Novamen were performing live at Our DR party in Antwerp, 16 year olds were complaining to Me
that I put "electro" on the flyer  and they wanted their money back cause Novamen was absolutely no electro..

WTF yikes

well the same thing happens to disco, acid and techno depending of the timeperiod wink

I was at kink fm and the guy after me was gonna play a "special italo set": turned out the be all the same stuff they played last year under "special acid set" and the year before it was "special electro set". it just depends on what kind of music is "in"

(but have to admit I do the same: playing acid on a deephouse party and saying: this is cosmic deephouse man! wink)

SUY wrote:

WTF yikes

this is happening the world over!  someone needs to slap these kids with an 808

I wish we had a thread for dumbest questions we've ever asked DJs. I could rule that thread.

lina wrote:

I wish we had a thread for dumbest questions we've ever asked DJs. I could rule that thread.

hehe. I bet many of us were once the idiot or starstruck fan annoying the DJ or performer. I will have to dig through the surpressed memory banks of shame to see how I made an ass of myself back in the day (was long long time ago of course)

ok, here's one: At the very first DEMF (detroit music fest) in 2000 or 2001 I ran into Richie Hawtin walking around early in the day, he was still sporting the bald with glasses look then. For some reason I asked for an autograph, don't really know why as I don't collect autographs and didn't really like his music (plastikman was still big at the time). I didn't have a pen or anything to be signed, so his girlfriend ended up digging in her purse to provide both. The friends I was with couldn't stop laughing. D'oh

Here we go

Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
All of my base,
Are belong to you.

Galliano wrote:

When

Honey, in the morning the bees are singing and the birds are stinging in an open head surgery.

Pages Previous 1 2 3 4 5 8 Next

You must login or register to post a reply

Robots for Robots → Addicts → Dumbest questions (or comments) you received while DJing

Currently used extensions: pun_approval, pun_admin_add_user. Copyright © 2009 PunBB