Re: Dumbest questions (or comments) you received while DJing

SUY wrote:

I once had to leave a party with security cause I was really anoyed by all the dumb requests
and when a 40 year old woman said that I should play music from Her age (i was playing 70s disco),
I replied that I havnt got any records from before WW2

HAHAHA. thats well worth the aggro itself.

Albion wrote:
Galliano wrote:

What is worse: Being beaten up by a (straight) girl or a lesbian?

A lesbian girl because you know you will never have make up sex with her.

Speak for yourself

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

narcisco wrote:

and I was in drag wearing a pink feather boa. He didn't expect me getting aggressive I think.

forget the lesbians, being bitch slapped by dude looking like a lady sounds more embarrassing.
god the horror, come home and suck on momma's dick

keep hackney crap

[quote=Techn

Do it your way, because everyone else is just weird.

We did a gig recently at an art gallery - best we've ever been paid for 4 hours of DJing and the most hassle from punters.

Example: The manager coming over and asking us to play something more 'funky'- Shemale was playing Classic Funk Mastercuts!

End of night a group of girls come over and ask for 80s stuff - Early Depeche Mode was playing with Bizarre Love Triangle cued up! I looked at them in dispair! I had Previously just played Pet Shop Boys and Blamange!

people often  don't know shit when they ask for music.

yeah it would be nice for someone to come up and ask... "hey, you got any bunker?"

I was playing records at the afterparty of a festival somewhere in The Hague.. In the beginning of my set, an obviously drunk english guy comes up to me and asks me what I will be playing. I say, funk, soul, disco and more general well known feel good party music. So he says to me: "cool, can I request a song by the Trammps".. I told him I didn't have any Trammps tracks with me, but plenty of similar Philly disco stuff, so he should be enjoying himself. For some reason, that isn't satisfying him, so I am going into ignore mode and let the guy babble on while I put on records.

Apparently he didn't like being ignored, it pissed him off so much that he wrote a little note and gave it to me. It read "If you claim to be a disco deejay and do not have any Trammps songs, than you are a fake wannabe mtv poser". I looked at him, ripped up the note, threw it towards him and went back into ignore mode. But I was pretty pissed off, I mean, going to the trouble of insulting me on a written note?! wtf.

The whole night was a lot of fun and the crowd was pretty enthousiastic about the stuff I played. When I was done, some four hours later, the guy that gave me the note was still there, smiling like he'd had a great night. So I packed my gear, and told the people I was with to look after my gear for a minute, as I was going to pick a fight. And so I did, I went up to the guy, told him very clearly what I thought of his behaviour and that I would beat the crap out of him if he would be man enough to go outside. It didn't come that far as I got immediatly noticed and kicked out by the security. Bummer. I wish it could have been "The Night the Lights Went Out" for the asshole.

Starborough, Disco warrior!

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

good one joost i would also beat the crap out of him with pleasure

i have a little story myself
it's a long time ago, when i had plenty of gigs
i was spinning in a local cafe, it was a afterparty from some big rave in town
all that shit was totaly illegal  ( so with closed curtains )

playing some records and everybody was happy, me too
after 1 hour suddenly the cops showed up ( they always show up when you don't need them )
we had to shut down the music and leave
well nice citizen that i am.. i did that
but that wasn't a good thing to do, some maniac raver came towards me and trowed the needle
back on the record again
i told him that i didn't liked his behaviour and pushed him away
he walk back into the cafe took a half liter beerglass a trewed it against me.

lucky enough i wasn't using any drugs that night and had a good reflection
so the glass hit the wall behind me

nice ...

later i heard he belonged to the nomads, a local biker gang

Vlam Aan

Ah ah those crazy after parties..often drug related innit?

was playing at one of them in a Gay/Lesbian Bar..some young dude came towards me and asked if he could borrow my credit card....WTF?

i said "i don't have one sorry" then kept on mixing...

then i started seeing little white bits flying onto my records..the dude had taken a record from my Bag and he was indeed crushing cocaine on the side of the decks with it...i said "WTF!!!!"

he replied "there's a gram of bolivian here it's for ya" then he went dancing again..good party ended very late.

smashing glasses -  stories, I have one too.

there was my neighbors girl birthday party in a small club some years ago. they rented the dancefloor at the time. we started to drink at her home already, so we were in a good mood as we came to the location. I had my record bag with me. we heard some strange music playing but I thought

discogs sales 
"Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said, 'Listen, mate, life has surface noise.'" - JOHN PEEL (1939 - 2004)

olivier8 wrote:

was playing at one of them in a Gay/Lesbian Bar..some young dude came towards me and asked if he could borrow my credit card....WTF?

then i started seeing little white bits flying onto my records..the dude had taken a record from my Bag and he was indeed crushing cocaine on the side of the decks with it...i said "WTF!!!!"

he replied "there's a gram of bolivian here it's for ya" then he went dancing again..good party ended very late.

haha

Its great to hear all these stories

olivier8 wrote:

he he smile

in the early nineties untill a few years ago we did a lot illegal parties in old factories, warehouses, squats, bunkers, etc.. We also did many under a large bridge in the town I grew up. Those parties lasted untill the next day or untill the cops came. Once a guy looking like some kind of HellsAngel in leather parked his golden Opel Manta almost in the middle of the dancefloor. He was just sitting in the car bouncing his head and dropping white lines on his broken rear-mirror. Sometimes he opened his window waving his rear mirror full of 'gonzales' asking (without any words) if the rest of the crew and crowd also wanted any..
to bad I dont have any pictures of that.. one of many crazy moments smile

TB or not TB

Freek wrote:

in the early nineties untill a few years ago we did a lot illegal parties in old factories, warehouses, squats, bunkers, etc.. We also did many under a large bridge in the town I grew up. Those parties lasted untill the next day or untill the cops came. Once a guy looking like some kind of HellsAngel in leather parked his golden Opel Manta almost in the middle of the dancefloor. He was just sitting in the car bouncing his head and dropping white lines on his broken rear-mirror. Sometimes he opened his window waving his rear mirror full of 'gonzales' asking (without any words) if the rest of the crew and crowd also wanted any..
to bad I dont have any pictures of that.. one of many crazy moments smile

That is fucking amazing man!!!

yeah what a dude, absolutley hilarious 'parked his golden Opel Manta  almost in the middle of the dancefloor'

keep hackney crap

byron wrote:

yeah what a dude, absolutley hilarious 'parked his golden Opel Manta  almost in the middle of the dancefloor'

yeah and I almost forgot about it, this topic brings back memories and I'm sure there are many more... smile

TB or not TB

118 (edited by Nukubot 2009-04-25 11:42:00)

not dumb, but funny: "hej ook slayer?"

"do you play slayer?" with very thick North-East Dutch accent

I actually did...

"Have you got any ones we know?"

"Have you got any floor-fillers?"

and of course the old chestnut: "Have you got any Abba?"

oh and I got a request in the middle of a live set (while visibly playing the keys on a synthesiser, no turntables in sight) for Klein & MBO 'Dirty Talk'. I tried telling him I was playing music live and not DJing, but he didn't get it and asked me the same thing again. Since I was trying to play the synth while all this was going on I tried to tell him in as few words as possible "no records, it's live, so no chance of playing the record". The idiot still asked me the same thing again and then I finally realised how truly moronic this guy actually was. He really couldn't tell the difference at all between a DJ playing records and someone playing a synth, so I just gave up trying to explain it and thankfully at that point the promoters came along and hurried him away. Sadly though I think he's not alone out there in his complete lack of understanding...

he wanted you to play dirty talk with the synth... i'm sure you can even imitate the girl laught

You have your fans hurried away? sad

@ casionova: funny story, we had the same thing playing live in The Hague couple of years ago, a big skinhead (bald, bomberjack, black dr Martins with white shoelaces) asked for some record I didn't know, but we were obviously playing live

"no, sorry man, don't have it, besides... we're playing live"

he uttered something which I couldn't understand, so I replied the same thing: "no, we're playing live"

then he started turning some knobs, I replied by gently slapping him on his hand, he didn't look very friendly, but he fortunatelly walked away

later I found out that in the other room a whole bunch of his friends were getting drunk, so I guess it could have ended quite differently

C. wrote:

You have your fans hurried away? sad

hehe he definitely wasn't a fan, and he was really rude about how he was saying it, like "what? you're not gonna play it?" Also I didn't have anyone hurried away (was kind of busy trying to get on with playing the track), that just happened anyway like it usually does when anyone gets up on a stage who's not supposed to be there in the middle of a gig (promoters naturally didn't want him there distracting me either).

If I feel they need hurrying away I can usually handle that myself wink but as nukubot points out that can be risky, you never know where it might go... 

@nukubot: "gently slapping him on his hand" - I'm picturing the scene, sounds hilarious!! outrageous he was fiddling with the controls as well though... you dealt with it very well I think. and very glad you got away with it of course!

@agence internationale: I'll know for next time wink

some dude started tweaking my 101 while i was playing live. i got pissed off since some girls had already made requests, so i slapped his hand and told him to fuck off. later he apologized, i said okay... but why did you do it?
- well, i pushed some of the buttons before you were playing, and nothing happened, so i figured it was just fake big_smile