Re: pandemia

Reminds me of this Anthrax thing some years ago, when everybody was waiting for doomsday and, in the end, nothing happened. Let's wait and see! roll

102 (edited by Brian Chinetti 2009-05-02 10:16:36)

mina v. wrote:

way more people die of the 'regular' flu ... i think it's kind of silly to expect the general public to comprehend the WHO's pandemic levels system when they are just seen as 'scores' and 6 is the highest
if there was a level 10, i'm sure the common cold would surpass it, and oh my god, it's also incurable.

The biggest problem they have is that there is no medicine against it. With normal flu it's mostly elderly and infants that die, now the age group is also (young-) adults. The reason for this mortality is supposedly that the more healthy you are, the harder the defense mechanism starts to fight this particular flu, which puts you at risk (the mechanism can explode). The defense mechanism must be helped, like with other 'treatable' flus, but right now it can't.
Ad the fact that it's getting summer in the northern (rich, traveling) hemisphere and you'll get a different situation coming fall. The peak of the flu is expected in the fall because our resistance is less strong after a warm, bacteria filled summer. That's why there's such a rush in finding the medicine and keeping up with the figures, it shouldn't spread too fast too soon.

(btw, the Spanish flu had the same way of incubation, except it wasn't the rich traveling in the summer of 1918 but soldiers coming from the WW1 front).

We have to wait and see what happens. This 'mild' flu can evolve and get mean.
The vaccin governments have ready now is based on the H5N1 version, which is the most mean. But this vaccin is most likely not helping against this flu, because this flu is H1N1.

Strictly Rockaas