226 (edited by Leo Slayer 2009-06-02 20:25:40)

Re: Second spring for Electroclash

casionova wrote:
lixa-6 wrote:

Not looking forward to musical diferences with my friends on this yrs uk visit.
Theyre mostly down the dubstep route and minimals. Alot of my friends do club nights and stuff in brighton, funny they stopped letting me in on the guest list because i was open about not liking the music and saying it was booring! my girlfriend still dosent have to pay tho, fuck em!

sounds like Brighton completely!! wink

Ditto Glasgow to a point. Saucepan hat wearing mutherfuckers. Death to Dubstep.

The only response to fashion kids is to keep positive and in the words of The Creatures "Always beleive in yourself"

A paranoid is someone who knows a little of whats really going on.

is the UK this divided about everything. yes

Leo Slayer wrote:

Death to Dubstep.

UK FUNKY!!! mad
Cunt aff ya cuntin cunters.

better dubstep than fake italo

dunno bias, that dublin step is hard to stomach.  anything but that. anything.

Music in order to dance.

A paranoid is someone who knows a little of whats really going on.

232 (edited by lixa-6 2009-06-02 20:53:25)

I better watch what i say here just in case, my friends make the stuff too dubstep i mean, have been for yrs and with my old samples and loops, still dont like what they do, its boring and with nawt melody!

"positive mutation!"

Ali Renault is watching you.

By the way, that Thieves like us track is a bit boring. But I don't think it's abysmally bad.

Diss away, Lixa-6, in the spirit of the thread smile

Im off to play some bungalo; breaks with underground Italo. 
Its all the rage in down town Dunfermline.

it's not where you're from it's where your at............

Saw Casionova live and Ali Renault dj set at the Korsan bar in London last year.

It was good music- proper italo records and electro live stuff.

It was sparsely attended but the crowd was enthusiastic - like a lot of good underground nights sometimes are  until a hype means the particular music becomes trendy then the night gets better attended.

Optimo was labelled as an electroclash night a few years ago- Keith McIvor made some good points about trends like "electroclash"when he was interviewed in The Guardian in Nov 2008 -

NU DISCO MINIMAL ELECTROCLASH RAVE

Keith: "In Optimo's 11 years, we've seen many trends come and go, and have been wrongly lumped in with many of them: electroclash, or 'electrocash', punk funk, new rave. We've never been about trends. Similarly, the word 'eclecticism' that's often used to describe us implies a certain pejorative dilettantism. We are all and only about playing music to dance to and being open to the entire history of music, that may or may not work on a dancefloor. In the words of Jesse Jackson, 'music is music'."

237 (edited by Scarface 2009-06-02 21:03:22)

About the UK discovering italo: I always thought many italo disco-acts tried to do what much of u.k. synthpop-bands were doing in the 80s. Funny to see it's the other way round now.

On a whole, it's something that's going on since men began making music if you think of it. Doesn't matter if one country is a little later than the other or a second ot third wave is at hand. Who knows what good it may bring us? Just wait and see.

"Are you loving?"

238 (edited by casionova 2009-06-02 21:25:14)

@lixa-6: ah well someone needs to keep the Norh Pole on lockdown! hopefully see you next year then dude...

this whole italo disco versus england debate is totally surreal. tell me what italo exactly innovated over kim wilde other than sweaty dramatic male vocals and i'm hanging on your lips.

italo as a european version of disco is a total reductionist urban myth that seems to have its origin in the rationalizing of a commercial label someone put on the music to sell it as an "invention". Quite ironic to see everybody dismiss electroclash nurave  and every other hype yet defend italo so passionately while it had exactly the same origins.

heartbreak sounds nice. A bit over the top but that's what makes italo so much fun in the first place.

Although cliche it feels fresh as in innocent people that just discovered this music and fell in love with the awkward honosty of it. Hard to believe someone that knows this music for quite some years still gets mesmerized by fun fun.

Sounds more poser mentality to me but everybody needs to start somewhere and you need some street cred when releasing your album. props for them to turn their love into something that hopefully will reeducate them brits. it's direly needed!!

maybe i will bump into you in B this yr, coming down on the 25th, notorious jimus will be down too from birmingham for 4 days.

"positive mutation!"

--/~~~~ wrote:

Hard to believe someone that knows this music for quite some years still gets mesmerized by fun fun.

I peronally will forever be mesmerised by Fun Fun, especially the blond one on the 2nd LP hehe

he's just being filmed playing the record, it didn't look like he was under some kind of hypnotic spell to me... wink

and I'm not sure what you mean about an italo vs UK debate. they're connected things, it's just the UK wasn't aware of italo as a genre until relatively recently. I don't see a cause for conflict there.

These sort of genre discussions is always lame. I mean the only serious reason for be to object a hype is that common people are lazy and tend to consumeonly what media is selling them. But there is nothing wrong with being part of the hype or liking a band which is part of it when you are into music.

Europa has burned, and will burn again

no well what i meant is the british werent aware of something that was an imitation of, or to put it more mildly: "deeply inspired by" british synthpop in the first place...exactly what scarface mentioned. perhaps not so much surreal as ironic, then?

(ethnic italian?) english guy imitating italians that imitate english, or is it his natural style?  smile

--/~~~~ wrote:

no well what i meant is the british werent aware of something that was an imitation of, or to put it more mildly: "deeply inspired by" british synthpop in the first place...exactly what scarface mentioned. perhaps not so much surreal as ironic, then?

absolutely! the irony is from the few original artists I've actually spoken to that they are extremely British inspired... for instance Casco loved ABC and Thompson Twins, Fockewulf were deeply into Bowie, Human League and John Foxx (as well as Japan, Ultravox, etc), Ventura was into New Order, etc... casco also assured me that maximum 50% of any music that actually got played in clubs in Italy in the old days was Italian, the other 50% was British/American, and he reckoned it would have been much higher if imports hadn't cost so much at that point. Only goes to show it's always been a mixture...

--/~~~~ wrote:

(ethnic italian?) english guy imitating italians that imitate english, or is it his natural style?  smile

actually Argentinian guy singing sincerely in his natural English accent... seriously!

so it is a joke?

yeah but most argentinians are ethnic italian arent they?

anyways to get back to the fun fun bit...i seem to recall it being someones top italo favorite...

I could actually see him glee with pride when playing the record smile

it's called postmodern culture darkling

artsy shite?