Re: Second spring for Electroclash

Nukubot wrote:

so that some artists had something to say about it, was totally understandable

electroca$h electroca$h

27 (edited by Sander 2009-05-21 23:25:05)

Better have a normal job to earn money then making bad ass commercial crap.

Why worry? It's not a style nor a genre...

it's not the artists job to label their music, but the recipients. If the crowd on the floor thought The Hague stuff was "Electroclash" then it simply was, no matter what the artists think or say.

I mean it's the same here when people here nowadays view something as Italo while most of the artists probably didn't know the term back in the days.

Europa has burned, and will burn again

What's wrong with making money off your music ! for example Tiga he's been doing his thing as long as GD and many of the artist partaking in this thread; he dosen't wear leotard or makeup and still has a successful career and label.  What i do find interesting is artist and labels changing their names 50 times to hide from the fame and success (or whatever) they have gained over the Electro clash waves over the years.
The world is globalized deal with it.

EliasRafael wrote:

it's not the artists job to label their music, but the recipients. If the crowd on the floor thought The Hague stuff was "Electroclash" then it simply was, no matter what the artists think or say.

I mean it's the same here when people here nowadays view something as Italo while most of the artists probably didn't know the term back in the days.

Agreed. The experts, representing the crowd, professionals and artists, should decide what genre or style a piece consist of. Electroca$h is not recognized as a style nor a genre.

I have total respect for every artist, no matter what genre or style, that makes good music and also makes a living out of it, there's nothing wrong with making good money out of good music, you have to pay for quality, simple as that

in every genre you have artists that stay true to their music and passion and you have lots of cheap ass sell outs

it's up to the public to filter out the sell outs and find the ones that really care about music

if the public doesn't do that and they pay for shit, then they get shit

the whole electrocash genre was purely media/hype based and the public obviously didn't buy it, because it was gone before it even started

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRghCkuqTto[/youtube]

I still like this

CRACKED BY MR. Z...

captain duran wrote:
JamesTRubotnik wrote:

can't agree more about miss kittin. hard working gal

think the same. there is no clash and such with her.
not to forget to name The Hacker, he`s the guy with a real good sound and an honest musician. respect

because playing live electroca$h sets off a dat is real honest hard work

@ BMX if Mount Sims is 'electroclash' than there's simply no distinction between clash and wave.

ok what i said was perhaps a bit of a snide thing to say but yes if the audience sees no difference between 'the west coast sound' and electroclash why bother? In the new wave / batcave circles i dont think electroclash was viewed that negative because the aesthetics were pretty close.

What on earth is wrong with guys wearing make up in the first place? macho cat gay bearsforce one aesthetics are ok yet androgyny is objectionable?

I'm not trying to pick a fight i just didnt and still dont understand the hate against the aesthetics represented by electroclash. I can understand there were people jumping on the bandwagon delivering crap you wouldnt want to be associated with, but come on there's so much crap in any genre. Electroclash just became a placeholder for anything fashionable 80ies yet in some way insincere or incapable.

One very funny instance was still in the pre CBS times when Herve Hue anounced his new wave parties on the Globaldarkness forum. Hhe described the stuff he was going to play, including electroclash 'like Legowelt and le syndicat electronique'. Everybody expected A// to go full tilt on this guy yet he didnt because he knew who Herve was and that electroclash didnt have those negative associations with him.

--/~~~~ wrote:

I'm not trying to pick a fight i just didnt and still dont understand the hate against the aesthetics represented by electroclash. I can understand there were people jumping on the bandwagon delivering crap you wouldnt want to be associated with, but come on there's so much crap in any genre.

because sometimes enough is enough and it is good to take a stand, especially against fake @ss poseurs with crap music

good music from guys with/without make up = great!

bad music from guys without make up = ignore

bad music from guys with make up and an attitude = recipe for jokes about guys with make up plus loads of abuse

can someone please explain what's electro-clash? forgot about it

Vlam Aan

I wander if Berkan Gulen wears make-up?

why do I always get sucked into discussions like this?

I have to learn to be more zen...

Nukubot wrote:

you make it sound like there's some meeting every second Tuesday of the month where everyone connected to clone / bunker /viewlexx is coming together to discuss the latest trends in music and then by raising hands the "inner circle" decides what is cool and not

the reality is this: this whole scene is nothing more and nothing less than a group of individuals, some work together, some don't, some have the same taste and most don't

the point is: there is no coherent group that acts as one, there is no spokesperson, there is no guideline and there is certainly not something like a "vague moralistic necessity"

electroclash was and is a total marketing bullshit thing and Squadra has a point: the media were indeed wrongly associating that stuff with the The Hague sound, so that some artists had something to say about it, was totally understandable

I was referring to the anti-electroclash manifesto that iirc was published both on GD and CBS, so that does count as a coherent group in my book with some sort of correspondance in advance.

I totally agree it was a marketing thing but that's how it works with youth cultures. To me it always was or perhaps was intended to be a modern version of the new romantics movement. Not so much a music genre as a fashion / youth culture with the audience mainly listening to synthpop / wave / disco then and now.

And if it's about being truthful to your sources of inspiration i dont think there were many bands more truthful than, say, Hong Kong Counterfeit.

41 (edited by --/~~~~ 2009-05-22 15:27:49)

I have seen pictures of Nightmoves and Dario Dell'Aere wearing lipstick and eyeliner  smile

Nothing wrong with lipstick and eyeliner wink

--/~~~~ wrote:

I was referring to the anti-electroclash manifesto that iirc was published both on GD and CBS, so that does count as a coherent group in my book with some sort of correspondance in advance.

"Your Honour, there is no such thing as organised crime. The concept of the mafia is a myth. It's just something that people made up for the movies."

these discussions suck as usual. why do people always have to hold a flag?

Nukubot wrote:
--/~~~~ wrote:

"Your Honour, there is no such thing as a shared set of principles. The concept of the manifesto is a myth. It's just something that people made up for the newspapers."

FTFY

come on now most complicated! i thought you loved these discussions that turn the trivial into the important and the simple into the complex...from which no argument can be undone or position be untaken, no innocence be reclamed wink

sure, I loved for example when someone brought up the discussion who's the most and truest italo head around... that I really liked

yeah, this whole electroclash thing doesn't even deserve our energy, I'm going to focus on really important things that matter

like Berkan G

I am very sure that --/~~~~ is still not listening to a lot of `trance with a snare` horror or awfull electro-rock-crossover sold under the electroclash flag to the joost van bellen loving now and wow crowd that ate that stuff like candy during the (short) hype.

Don't worry Gor, I heard that since Guy Tavares can dress up like a 80s hairmetal-singer and IFM/CBS has been playing wave for a few years, its now okay and "underground-approved" to like 80s wave and wear make up too wink

nukubot: tonight, 20.00 rtl7, roda jc - fcdordrecht play off live broadcast! this is a special day smile