Re: I-G @ Slabs of the Tabernacle 06.02.10

not fair - play english wink

52 (edited by rawshark 2010-02-13 20:13:23)

i don't speak dutch, but i would wager that vunk is saying that he plays some version of that track since ages or something. the thing that makes IG an incredible DJ for me is that he doesnt just mash beat matched tracks together and call it a night. his track choice is fantastic and his goddamn blending is close to perfect. this isnt some hit the eqs and off we go with the next record. the tracks fit together for reasons outside of bpm and they play on top of each other without sounding weird. masters league right here folks

/fanboy

just a word

I-G = R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

rawshark wrote:

i don't speak dutch, but i would wager that vunk is saying that he plays some version of that track since ages or something. the thing that makes IG an incredible DJ for me is that he doesnt just mash beat matched tracks together and call it a night. his track choice is fantastic and his goddamn blending is close to perfect. this isnt some hit the eqs and off we go with the next record. the tracks fit together for reasons outside of bpm and they play on top of each other without sounding weird. masters league right here folks

/fanboy

david is no less good anyway, different style, different attitude. But honestly I'm the best, too bad no one knows smile

actually im the best  lol

well david is that what you said? which version do you play?

my mate was giving me a fairly hard time for my 'wrong' choice lastnight.

56 (edited by kuczera 2010-02-15 12:52:43)

david is hardcore, one of the hardest working in discobizzz

Vlam Aan

@karamanga the jesse one is the one no-one plays, so your friend gives you a hard time for not liking the one everyone else likes, sounds like a douche! i still think the jamie is more typical chicago sound, and the jesse sounds less typical, different to other things at the time. both rock of course, but there is no wrong version, and i-g didnt play it for a joke big_smile

black shape wrote:

@karamanga the jesse one is the one no-one plays, so your friend gives you a hard time for not liking the one everyone else likes, sounds like a douche! i still think the jamie is more typical chicago sound, and the jesse sounds less typical, different to other things at the time. both rock of course, but there is no wrong version, and i-g didnt play it for a joke big_smile

how confusing big_smile

Vlam Aan

this is so nerdy, as nerdy as it can be, even more

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/137/357988441_ce303fc3e9.jpg
my most humble apologies

David Vunk wrote:
kuczera wrote:

lekkere mix

playing waiting on my angel, for me proof, that he's the hottest dj at the moment
i-g ftw

why?

agreed - haven't people been playing both versions for over 20 years now?

you should hear my super rare cosmic italo edit. no one plays that, not even me and there was half a copy pressed and I traded it on discogs for £17'000 plus the ruby of catmandhu.

rawshark wrote:

the thing that makes IG an incredible DJ for me is that he doesnt just mash beat matched tracks together and call it a night. his track choice is fantastic and his goddamn blending is close to perfect. this isnt some hit the eqs and off we go with the next record. the tracks fit together for reasons outside of bpm and they play on top of each other without sounding weird. masters league right here folks

/fanboy

think it's just called being able to mix tbh...

no, it's called being able to surprise people with stuff they don't expect (as a dj this is always a risk)... and i really love ig for having the balls to do that!

/groupie

65 (edited by casionova 2010-02-16 01:40:11)

No need to get upset. I wasn't commenting about it any further than saying that simply being able to beat-match tunes that go together sonically is not something that in my opinion puts you in the "masters league". if I-G is in that league it would surely be for other reasons... that's all.

edit: I like I-G and am not criticising him in any way. I just stop short of some of the hyperbolic commentary on here.

@ black shape - that made sense to me so cheers dude smile  nice tinfoil helmut btw

i know fuck all really so just being 'nerdy-curious' about track choices cause im technically void. both had a massive impact on me  wink

@meschi - lol. £17,000 a nice rounded figure

pfff i wish i hadn't said that about the jesse record
i hate the "wellus, niettus" game on this forum, please guyz it was just an opinion

Vlam Aan

@ casionova
"No need to get upset."
-> i'm not getting upset... don't worry!

"I wasn't commenting about it any further than saying that simply being able to beat-match tunes that go together sonically is not something that in my opinion puts you in the "masters league"."
-> okay, i see... so your comment wasn't referred to "his track choice is fantastic..." and "the tracks fit together for reasons outside of bpm...".

"I just stop short of some of the hyperbolic commentary on here."
-> but why? i mean rawshark was only telling his opinion about ig as a dj (and so did i). and i have actually no idea what's so wrong with that.

@ kuczera
guilty! smile

69 (edited by casionova 2010-02-16 10:15:30)

@QOB - glad there's no upset wink

"track choice is fantastic" - hehe let's not get stuck on the whole Jesse Saunders thing again... but of course I'll happily say the track selection is usually great with I-G. That's all well and good but surely in terms of saying this as a reason why he's great there's more to it than just owning good records? otherwise plenty of record collectors I can think of would surely also be considered world-class DJs...

"tracks fit together for reasons outside bpm" - well if they don't then you suck as a DJ, it's that simple! it's not something that makes you "masters league" to me just cos you think about more than matching bpm's when you mix records together. any DJ who doesn't suck has to do that. again I'm not saying I-G isn't great or "masters league" or whatever but again, surely if he is it's for better reasons than that?

"I stop short of some of the hyperbolic commentary on here" -> but why?

- well because I don't agree with it... I hope that's ok.

for me greatness as a DJ comes with taking risks, rewriting rules, giving a separate and distinct character to every performance/recording, being the master of every second of sound that comes out of the speakers and when you have to knowing how to ride the chaos, having deeper concepts/ideas that underpin the work, being prepared to live for the music above all else and of course having the mystical and unquantifiable "flow", "jam", "magic", whatever you want to call it... and being able to rock a crowd at the drop of a hat in any insane and unlikely circumstances that come up.

I read about Larry Levan that he once literally reduced a sober audience to tears just by the sheer beauty of the records he played and what order he played them in. That's what it's about, not simply having good records or knowing that mixing involves more than beat-matching... it's about connecting with people emotionally and making them move their bodies for hours on end.

Hotmix 5, Tony Humphries, Ron Hardy, Orlando Voorn, DJ Discotizer, Fast Eddie, etc were all examples of truly great DJs for me. I don't think anyone's giving them any competition right now or anytime soon... but I-G has certainly got good records and is very good at what he does, I'm not arguing with that.

yes taking risk is part of the game
good examples are dimitri and i-f ( rene et gaston/format 1 solid session / theme from shaft and hip hop be bop )
mixing records together that are not suitable, but then again are
does not make sence maybe, you have to know those mixes

Vlam Aan

agreed... esp about Ferenc.

Just one more hyperbolic comment: what a great masterclass mix

Enjoyed it very much

Thx Slabs & I-G

I think IG is great because he has a really nice record case.

at the risk of getting into murky waters....

casionova wrote:

"tracks fit together for reasons outside bpm" - well if they don't then you suck as a DJ, it's that simple! it's not something that makes you "masters league" to me just cos you think about more than matching bpm's when you mix records together. any DJ who doesn't suck has to do that. again I'm not saying I-G isn't great or "masters league" or whatever but again, surely if he is it's for better reasons than that?

So why do people with the same records spill that shit together like its fuckin techno and act happy because the vox on track A is now playing like hell on track B? If its so easy, why cant YOU do it? Of course its basic stuff, but consistency is what we are talking about and the fact that he keeps surprising. Break it down:

1. Look at how many tracks has he "broken" to this little cbs audience since wdisko.

2. Name me a shitty I-G mix or night he played.

3. Check how many of these "cbs djs" he has influenced

4. Name me someone better who plays similar music that we won't have to dig out of the ground to get to play.

5. Did I mention  I-G is awesome?

6. See point 5

7. Did I every show you my totally sweet Intergalactic Gary poster?

rawshark wrote:

at the risk of getting into murky waters....

casionova wrote:

So why do people with the same records spill that shit together like its fuckin techno and act happy because the vox on track A is now playing like hell on track B? If its so easy, why cant YOU do it? Of course its basic stuff, but consistency is what we are talking about and the fact that he keeps surprising. Break it down:

1. Look at how many tracks has he "broken" to this little cbs audience since wdisko.

2. Name me a shitty I-G mix or night he played.

3. Check how many of these "cbs djs" he has influenced

4. Name me someone better who plays similar music that we won't have to dig out of the ground to get to play.

5. Did I mention  I-G is awesome?

6. See point 5

7. Did I every show you my totally sweet Intergalactic Gary poster?

I love his lipstick too
I wonder which brand is