Basic Channel led me to Rhythm & Sound
Rhythm & Sound to Wackies
Wackies to Lee Perry, Sly & Robbie, Agrovators
meanwhile exploring new stuff like Burial, Jahtarian Dubbers, Disrupt, Kode 9
and then back to Augustus Pablo, Horace Andy, Mickey Dread, Wayne Jarrett

and that's only the dub part...

and it goes on and on

Re: Why does new music suck almost as hard as bias?I

of course some new music is shit but so is some old. I constantly hear new good music. I also realize that i am getting old and the old music is never coming back.

I'm thankfully still young enough so that everything released before 1997 is new music to me. For example, I still discover about 2-3 great new (but old..) chicago tracks every week, and haven't even properly begun exploring italo/wave/miami bass/ambient etc. so I'm good for the next 25 years, concerning discovering new music.

I must say though, there are fewer and fewer réally interesting new records coming out over the past couple of years.

54 (edited by kuczera 2010-03-19 12:24:09)

well there ya have it jay.. still not convinced that it aint that bad?
or where you only refering to electro/hiphop?

have to agree on the electro part though.. best new shit is from around here.. and some detroit ( and it aint much )

Vlam Aan

When I hear something I like it doesn't matter when it was made. It just so happens that the stuff I like the most is "old".

i was talking about stuff that comes out now, new discoveries from the year 1564 you can hardly call new music.
how come i and a lot of other people feel like recent stuff is weaker than old shizzle.

i'm not gloomy though there is enough music to discover but i yeah its mainly, mostly and maybe only old stuff.

hell all i wanted to do was put suck and bias in a topic title anyway.

Showing the way for the modern man to become a Model Man.

Haha yes, please back to the "essence" of this topic  big_smile

Why the obsession with the new?  I had a pissed up discussion in the pub last week with another old git about the obsession with finding the "new" music.  Is it about trying to recapture the buzz from when you were a teenager discovering new music or is it wanting to be the first person to find out about the music and get a buzz from knowing you're one of the first?   It seemed like an interesting and important dicsussion at the time but most things do when you're pissed.

59 (edited by MenschMaschine 2010-03-19 13:24:13)

Meanwhile at Bias place:

Breakdaaance

guy said something about new music once, forgot it.. i believe it's on the "when i sold.." dvd

Vlam Aan

maybe your comparison is biased?
(no pun intended)

what i  mean is, when something new comes out, you compare it to the old stuff, but you are comparing the new stuff against old stuff that you really like.

i am sure that back in the day when some of us were cooler and slimmer and had more hair there was alot of shit coming out too but none of us are comparing today's records against that shit

quality material coming out today for me can stand there beside classics of our youth and not feel inferior
eg alden tyrell's 'memories' track is as good as anything produced 20 years ago in italy

keep hackney crap

MenschMaschine wrote:

Meanwhile at Bias place:

Breakdaaance

lol, i like it when they tell what kind of music it is
so you don't have to think big_smile

Vlam Aan

new music
old music
just a random quicky selection...i think it's too way bigger the difference in sound ;in attitude, diversity...anyways...maybe it depends on which pattern a person was born

64 (edited by meschi 2010-03-19 13:37:43)

byron wrote:

maybe your comparison is biased?
(no pun intended)

what i  mean is, when something new comes out, you compare it to the old stuff, but you are comparing the new stuff against old stuff that you really like.

i am sure that back in the day when some of us were cooler and slimmer and had more hair there was alot of shit coming out too but none of us are comparing today's records against that shit

quality material coming out today for me can stand there beside classics of our youth and not feel inferior
eg alden tyrell's 'memories' track is as good as anything produced 20 years ago in italy

edit: wouldn't have said it better myself.

who cares about new music, there is so much fantastic old stuff... like if someone heared them all..  lol

TB or not TB

if i talk hip hop it already happened once with the whole concious black thing together with putting as much words in a split second rapstyle, i was so dissapointed with hip hop then. some people love that shit though, (das fx, tung twista, umc's fnurkwat the great, pissinpants) i dunno it's subjective. and then wu-tang shitted all over those guys and i was back in love with hip hop.

i guess i'm a nostalgic, romantic, its not for nothing i keep talking this "sp12 this sp12 that" shit, its an outdated sampler but i love the sound nothing new can compare for me, but other people crack up when you tell m the specs of the machine.

oh yeah i have a BRAND NEWWWWW record coming out soon hehehe.

Showing the way for the modern man to become a Model Man.

will this be under the hasbeens?

I can only talk for USA, but as far as commercial radio music here in the states it is horrible only because the audience is suffering from the broken school system. The youngsters here say 'Do you make Beats?' instead of do you compose or Produce music. In the 80's even commercial music was cool because you actually had to have sick amounts of talent. Melody here in the states is usually stolen from a past 80's song (the talent years) and it becomes a hit with the youth and revives the original artist. But there's alot of local talent here in LA that kicks ass, but not recognized.

But I still like a lot of material coming out today. The only difference is there is boat loads of Amateur Stuff now and it takes time to sort the goods ones from everyone else.
But the Modular Synth revival is amazing. I was too small to live through the 70's synth era but I am glad I am alive to be around for this one.

Planet of Cevo

69 (edited by San 2010-03-20 08:07:02)

Youtube thing still not working?
Oh well
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nG0gyhb-0C4

Music is a beautiful opiate, if you don't take it too seriously.

I'm with jay, new music sucks, and I'll be always suspicious about it, need to be twice as right to compete with the old.

One reason is the use of words, house, electro, disco, has been raped, abused, misused by many, not to mention deep and soul (jeez, how many time do I still have to hear deep soulful?)and anytime I hear those words I get very doubtful about the music.

Another reason is that the shitload of shit music today is unbearable, don't say it always has been, it's not fucking true. Nowadays we're literally submerged by shit.

I only listen to pre-2000 stuff. Old century is much better than the new....

a.

New music doesn't suck, people of any generation will express and create good and bad.  Music does frustrate me however as I'd say its a more of an ego-driven industry than other creative interests.

If I can I prefer to let the dust settle on current/new releases.  Every week I am bombarded with emails from rubadub/boomkat/interstellarsounds etc. telling me how every release is amazing and worth buying.  I've made many foolish purchases and will probably never listen again to some records that sounded good on first listen but over time I've realised I just don't like.

For the last few years now I have been hooked on music, particularly techno, from about 1988-1995.  It frustrates me how little good and fresh techno seems to be getting made but there is still the odd release here and there and that gives me hope that people still care about making real techno music.

it's logical: there's more good 'old music' vs. 'new musc'
because there simply is more of it...
let's say 'new music' is music of the last year, vs. tens (up to hundreds depending on your definition) of years of 'old music'

new music will quickly become old, and the good will stand out.

alex_d_steak wrote:

I only listen to pre-2000 stuff. Old century is much better than the new....

a.

Come on Alex, then it's about time to start selling your recordcollection wink You're very welcome in the 21st century.

pfx is a funny excample of what goes on with new music.
its rubbished by everyone, then championed by someone, then suddenly everyone loves it and its ok.
one minute its shit, the next its deep  lol
same thing happens with old music too!